WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toy Hauler A/C Help.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Trailer is a 2009 with a 15,000 btu Dometic A/C unit. About 3 years ago when temps start to go up mid day, it trips the trailer’s 30 amp breaker. I replaced the 30 amp breaker a few months ago and this weekend out in Havasu yet again it trips. Where do I start? It seems it only trips with the A/C on, I keep the microwave and the water heater off, the refrigerator I have running on propane. Is the compressor going out in the unit? It sounds worse on start up this year and I can’t run it on high without it tripping. I added a hard start capacitor a few years ago and it doesn’t seem to help. Any ideas?

bagged97taco

Reaction score
On my old rv the same thing would happen. It was the fan motor. It was seizing causing strain on the system. Replaced fan motor and worked great. Turn off all power to unit and try to spin the fan or shaft. Should spin freely. If it binds or doesn’t spin easily I would get a new one Not too expensive. Look on amazon

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
On my old rv the same thing would happen. It was the fan motor. It was seizing causing strain on the system. Replaced fan motor and worked great. Turn off all power to unit and try to spin the fan or shaft. Should spin freely. If it binds or doesn’t spin easily I would get a new one Not too expensive. Look on amazon

Thanks, I’ll check that first. Not really wanting to replace the unit if we are only planing on keeping it another year or so.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll check that first. Not really wanting to replace the unit if we are only planing on keeping it another year or so.

Wouldn’t there be an issue with the actual air coming out if the fan was going bad?

Icky

Reaction score
When's the last time you cleaned it

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Clean the filter for sure. I would also get on the roof, take the cover off and carefully flush out all the fins and really make sure it’s all clean but whatever you do don’t use a brush or anything because the fins easily bend.

Also if your breaker box is inside I would get a fan and point it right on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Clean the filter for sure. I would also get on the roof, take the cover off and carefully flush out all the fins and really make sure it’s all clean but whatever you do don’t use a brush or anything because the fins easily bend.

Also if your breaker box is inside I would get a fan and point it right on it.

Sounds good I will try that as well. That breaker box is getting hot, I’m sure that’s not help any. Thanks.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Sounds good I will try that as well. That breaker box is getting hot, I’m sure that’s not help any. Thanks.

I’ve done it in mine in the past on really hot weekends. It helped them not trip. I also would put the silver looking window insulation in all the windows. The windows seem to be what heats the trailer up so much.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Trailer is a 2009 with a 15,000 btu Dometic A/C unit. About 3 years ago when temps start to go up mid day, it trips the trailer’s 30 amp breaker. I replaced the 30 amp breaker a few months ago and this weekend out in Havasu yet again it trips. Where do I start? It seems it only trips with the A/C on, I keep the microwave and the water heater off, the refrigerator I have running on propane. Is the compressor going out in the unit? It sounds worse on start up this year and I can’t run it on high without it tripping. I added a hard start capacitor a few years ago and it doesn’t seem to help. Any ideas?
Is there no breaker specifically for the A/C?
What sounds worse, the compressor or the fan? Does it trip with the fan on medium speed? Make sure the fan spins freely. A loose connection could cause hi amps. Make sure electrical connections are snug/tight and wires aren't burnt. If your coils are clean, connections good, and fan spins freely, it is probably one of the components: capacitor, fan motor (windings), or compressor. You would need to put an amp meter on to see how it's working.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Check the wiring terminals on the breaker. Make sure they are tight. A loose connection can cause this also

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Check the Amp draw at the unit itself and record it with your phone. Post a picture of the Data tag. Post video of the draw.
Re-read what 97bags o'tacos posted.

Taco's, Chorizo.. This thread is making me hungry. o_O

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Is there no breaker specifically for the A/C?
What sounds worse, the compressor or the fan? Does it trip with the fan on medium speed? Make sure the fan spins freely. A loose connection could cause hi amps. Make sure electrical connections are snug/tight and wires aren't burnt. If your coils are clean, connections good, and fan spins freely, it is probably one of the components: capacitor, fan motor (windings), or compressor. You would need to put an amp meter on to see how it's working.

It has a 20 amp breaker for the fan but it only trips the trailers 30 amp main. The fan sounds fine, the compressor sounds weak on start up. I installed a hard start capacitor a few years back but now it doesn’t seem like it’s helping.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
This is most likely not the issue but......have you checked the input power? Do you have a surge protector installed internally or at the pedestal outside. If this is happening only when hot and there is a lot of demand on the entire park there could be a supply problem.....I would at least test the incoming as a precaution.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
This is most likely not the issue but......have you checked the input power? Do you have a surge protector installed internally or at the pedestal outside. If this is happening only when hot and there is a lot of demand on the entire park there could be a supply problem.....I would at least test the incoming as a precaution.

It seems to happen no matter what park we are at, happened at River Land and again at Black Meadow this last weekend with virtually no one there. No surge protector and I have never popped the breaker on the actual 30 amp service. Only pops the actual trailer 30 amp main at the inverter panel and not the 20 amp A/C breaker.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
It seems to happen no matter what park we are at, happened at River Land and again at Black Meadow this last weekend with virtually no one there. No surge protector and I have never popped the breaker on the actual 30 amp service. Only pops the actual trailer 30 amp main at the inverter panel and not the 20 amp A/C breaker.

Sounds like there is an issue outside of the ac with the main popping. The ac is the load making it pop but it should only pop the 20a. As someone else mentioned you should go through all of the electrical connections on all the breakers as well you need to check all positive and negative connections in the bus bar. Also battery connections if you have an inverter. I would go through the electrical system front and back.

Also in the past I have had the connection inside the ac unit go bad. Take the grill off the ac unit inside the trailer take the plate off the junction box and check the connection. I had it in the past where the wire nut melted in there and was shorting out the electrical.

Not sure what you set the temp to when your out for the day but I bump mine up to the 80’s. Sometimes during the day that thing will run all day. Definitely need to cover all the windows with the window shade stuff from camping world, the silver looking bubble wrap. Also get the insulation cushions to stuff in the vents.

One other thing we have done is to get a room ac, the one that has the exhaust hose. Find a window or vent to stuff that thing out of. It doesn’t draw the load your trailer one does and you could probably run both.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Black meadow in the past had terrible power . I don't know if they have done anything to improve it .

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Sounds like there is an issue outside of the ac with the main popping. The ac is the load making it pop but it should only pop the 20a. As someone else mentioned you should go through all of the electrical connections on all the breakers as well you need to check all positive and negative connections in the bus bar. Also battery connections if you have an inverter. I would go through the electrical system front and back.

Also in the past I have had the connection inside the ac unit go bad. Take the grill off the ac unit inside the trailer take the plate off the junction box and check the connection. I had it in the past where the wire nut melted in there and was shorting out the electrical.

Not sure what you set the temp to when your out for the day but I bump mine up to the 80’s. Sometimes during the day that thing will run all day. Definitely need to cover all the windows with the window shade stuff from camping world, the silver looking bubble wrap. Also get the insulation cushions to stuff in the vents.

One other thing we have done is to get a room ac, the one that has the exhaust hose. Find a window or vent to stuff that thing out of. It doesn’t draw the load your trailer one does and you could probably run both.

10-4 thanks. I did check all the breaker connections at the inverter when I replaced the 30amp but I didn't really take a look at any of the other wiring. Ill have to double check inside the panel and pop the cover off the A/C and check that. It's weird, in theory if the compressor is going out I would think the 20amp A/C breaker would be popping first.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
10-4 thanks. I did check all the breaker connections at the inverter when I replaced the 30amp but I didn't really take a look at any of the other wiring. Ill have to double check inside the panel and pop the cover off the A/C and check that. It's weird, in theory if the compressor is going out I would think the 20amp A/C breaker would be popping first.

It’s very odd. Sounds like a short or loose wire somewhere to me. If it’s only ac related only that 20 should pop. Could also check the shore power cord connections.

You will find the issue, once you dig into it there not that complex.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
As I read these threads I wonder if the 20A break may also have failed which could be a reason it is not tripping but the fact that the 30 is popping is certainly an issue....in the end a replacement AC unit should only run around $500-600 if you install it yourself.......definitely need to test the load on the circuit when the compressor cycles on but if the load is excessive then $500 won't seem like a bunch of $$ when it's a "Buck ten" outside;)

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
As I read these threads I wonder if the 20A break may also have failed which could be a reason it is not tripping but the fact that the 30 is popping is certainly an issue....in the end a replacement AC unit should only run around $500-600 if you install it yourself.......definitely need to test the load on the circuit when the compressor cycles on but if the load is excessive then $500 won't seem like a bunch of $$ when it's a "Buck ten" outside;)

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's insight. I think when I get back out there I will start with the basics and check all the wiring at the panel and at the A/C. I'm thinking of buying a new power cord as the one I received with the trailer looks cheap and is most likely Chinese and copper clad wire. I was also told that I shouldn't be running my water on electric with the A/C on in the summer time. Its possible the load from the water heater when it cycles with the A/C running is popping the 30amp main. Common sense tells me that if it was just directly A/C related ie. bad capacitor etc. it would be only tripping the 20amp. I was talking with Dan from Dan's RV Service in Parker (currently banned from Black Meadows) and he hinted on the water heater and to check the wiring because typically the compressors in the Dometic units do not go bad. Stand up guy seems like he really knows his shit, to bad hes banned its kind of a funny story.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Had this issue with my last motorhome at the river.

The 30amp breaker was located right next to the 20 amp breaker inside the box and they both heat up and caused the 30amp to trip.
I called a mobile RV repair guy (Dan's RV in Parker)
He relocated the 20 AMp breaker to the opposite side of the box (away from the 30 Amp).

Never tripped again after that.

Big Chorizo

Reaction score
Had this issue with my last motorhome at the river.

The 30amp breaker was located right next to the 20 amp breaker inside the box and they both heat up and caused the 30amp to trip.
I called a mobile RV repair guy (Dan's RV in Parker)
He relocated the 20 AMp breaker to the opposite side of the box (away from the 30 Amp).

Never tripped again after that.

That's a great idea, mine are side by side as well. I'll have to look into that.