WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toy Hauler shopping.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I used to think just like you about fifth wheels until I bought a 48’ Weekend Warrior and was blown away how easy it was when it came to towing. There’s definitely no comparison in weather. I’ve owned some long tag trailers one being 40ft and never had issues because I’ve always had a big truck. If it fits your budget check out some fifth wheels.
I’m wanting something smaller for now. I have a 6.4 Hemi so the lighter the better. It pulled my last trailer that was 13-14k fine just thirsty.
I’m hoping to be under 11k loaded with our new setup.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well Simi RV says all RV’s have issues. If you expect an RV to be perfect don’t buy an RV. If your going to own an RV you need to expect to fix things here and there.

This right here is what is wrong with the RV industry. Where else do you go to buy something this expensive and are told to expect it to have issues?

I told the salesman I find it odd that we should expect our RV to have issues When we buy it. But nobody expects our money to have issues when we pay for it.

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well we are getting closer. Found a decent price on a Torque 281 up in Idaho.
I priced out a new build with them and they came back with crazy numbers. Supposed to hear back if they can do better. They are claiming 10% price increase for 2022’s is the reason.
They have a 2021 on the lot that will work but they will need to come down $1,000.

Epic finally got me a price. And it’s not bad and I would have probably jumped on it 2 weeks ago.

But after looking at the Torque and how much better it’s built I think the Genesis/Vortex is a down grade.

Torque has
Azdel walls
3yr structure warranty
Painted front Cap
Upgraded suspension
Much better tie downs
Generator switch in the bedroom
And it has 2 slides vs 1 on Vortex.

The vortex has
Better shower
Solar
Lighter

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Well Simi RV says all RV’s have issues. If you expect an RV to be perfect don’t buy an RV. If your going to own an RV you need to expect to fix things here and there.

This right here is what is wrong with the RV industry. Where else do you go to buy something this expensive and are told to expect it to have issues?

I told the salesman I find it odd that we should expect our RV to have issues When we buy it. But nobody expects our money to have issues when we pay for it.

Unless he was just being a dick, I’d say at least he was honest. I’ve owned 5, close friends have 5 or 6, and I’ve done satellite/tv/audio installs in dozens. They are all poorly built. When you get over $500k they are better, not perfect. 4 of them bought in the last 5 years all have had issues, 2 of them major with the lipert frames,one finally got sued and bought it back.

Ladsm

Reaction score
If you can find a non-covid priced used RV that has been through the warranty issues already you would be better off. Probably tough to find in the exact model you want.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If you can find a non-covid priced used RV that has been through the warranty issues already you would be better off. Probably tough to find in the exact model you want.
Used prices are same as new dam near.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Unless he was just being a dick, I’d say at least he was honest. I’ve owned 5, close friends have 5 or 6, and I’ve done satellite/tv/audio installs in dozens. They are all poorly built. When you get over $500k they are better, not perfect. 4 of them bought in the last 5 years all have had issues, 2 of them major with the lipert frames,one finally got sued and bought it back.

My point is why can’t they be better?

and

If I buy something and an issue comes up why does it have to take forever to get it handled? Why don’t they just say sorry about that bring it in and we will get it fixed right away?

If your car has a warranty problem and you take it in and they have it for a month you would loose your shit right?
They usually give you a loaner vehicle as well.

But RV warranty repairs are like they could give a shit and you will get it back when we decide to.

ATKpilot

Reaction score

This right here is why I didn't place my order for a brand new one. I ended up stumbling onto a garage kept couple of year old toy hauler that is completely sorted and has the options I wanted and some really nice add-ons. This is why I am driving 11 hours to pick it up next Friday.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This right here is why I didn't place my order for a brand new one. I ended up stumbling onto a garage kept couple of year old toy hauler that is completely sorted and has the options I wanted and some really nice add-ons. This is why I am driving 11 hours to pick it up next Friday.
What did you find?

ATKpilot

Reaction score
What did you find?

Not in the same league as what you are looking for, mine could fit in the garage of the Torque 😀 I bought a 2018 Pacfic Coachworks SandSport 18SLE ...It's small but I needed it to be because my son and I ride in the Sierra's Mountains and it gets really tight...I mean really tight up there. You have to stay under 24 feet or you'll get in trouble real quick. We had to back down a hill for 1/8 mile one time because of a downed tree and that was with a 7x14 cargo trailer...not fun at all.

I'm driving from Kalifornia to Mesa to get it. It looks absolutely brand new because of being garage kept and the guy only hauled his Harley in it so not dirt at all. He was very fair on the price and I couldn't pass it up. My wife loves it too so that was a bonus.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
What part of Idaho? Couple of us inmates live up here.

Well we are getting closer. Found a decent price on a Torque 281 up in Idaho.
I priced out a new build with them and they came back with crazy numbers. Supposed to hear back if they can do better. They are claiming 10% price increase for 2022’s is the reason.
They have a 2021 on the lot that will work but they will need to come down $1,000.

Epic finally got me a price. And it’s not bad and I would have probably jumped on it 2 weeks ago.

But after looking at the Torque and how much better it’s built I think the Genesis/Vortex is a down grade.

Torque has
Azdel walls
3yr structure warranty
Painted front Cap
Upgraded suspension
Much better tie downs
Generator switch in the bedroom
And it has 2 slides vs 1 on Vortex.

The vortex has
Better shower
Solar
Lighter

X Hoser

Reaction score
I’m wanting something smaller for now. I have a 6.4 Hemi so the lighter the better. It pulled my last trailer that was 13-14k fine just thirsty.
I’m hoping to be under 11k loaded with our new setup.
If in California just remember the licensing requirements for the weight. My insurance agent told me I may get away with it on the road but if I was ever in an accident the carrier may deny the claim. No experience with it just what I Was told.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If in California just remember the licensing requirements for the weight. My insurance agent told me I may get away with it on the road but if I was ever in an accident the carrier may deny the claim. No experience with it just what I Was told.

There are thousands upon thousand of under liscensed and over loaded rigs out there. Yet how barely a story of an insurance company bailing on their clients.
I have had my class A with DBL, Tanker and Hazmat endorsements in the past.

Besides 4 fat beaners in a Camry are over the gvwr and don’t have insurance or registration and they are fine.
So I’m good.

X Hoser

Reaction score
There are thousands upon thousand of under liscensed and over loaded rigs out there. Yet how barely a story of an insurance company bailing on their clients.
I have had my class A with DBL, Tanker and Hazmat endorsements in the past.

Besides 4 fat beaners in a Camry are over the gvwr and don’t have insurance or registration and they are fine.
So I’m good.
You are absolutely correct. Just what I was advised by my agent. Take it for what it’s worth, (or not worth?)

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Bish’s RV. I live in Meridian if I can be of any help.
If I can get these guys down a bit on price I will be making a drive. I think I’m going to speacial order it so it would be ready around October

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Well I offered 55k out the door for the Torque 285. Basically got laughed out of the place.
Wife and I talked about just scrapping this season. Sell the truck. Look for a used diesel dually and buy a slightly used fifth wheel next year.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Well I offered 55k out the door for the Torque 285. Basically got laughed out of the place.
Wife and I talked about just scrapping this season. Sell the truck. Look for a used diesel dually and buy a slightly used fifth wheel next year.
While your ripping your local dealer good luck with your warranty repair work when you buy in another state .

CLdrinker

Reaction score
While your ripping your local dealer good luck with your warranty repair work when you buy in another state .
Warranty sucked here too. Out of 18 months of owner ship the dealer had it 4 months. So please do tell me what I have done wrong. Explain to me why I should buy here for 10k more than out of state.
Let’s here how that math works.

I can pay 10k out of pocket for repairs and still break even. And get the unit back faster since I’m paying cash for the repair.

Maybe your comment should read. Local dealer fucks around customer that buys new RV every 2yrs they don’t appreciate his repeat business.

Always 3 sides to the story.

BTW how exactly am I ripping the dealer. Offered 7k more for a smaller lesser option trailer than I bought a 1.5yrs ago.
Much less trailer for lots more money. Yup I’m ripping them ok.

I even told the manager I understand supply and demand. If you can sell it next week for more than 55k I wouldn’t sell it to me either.
But that don’t mean I have to buy it for more.

yz450mm

Reaction score
You might want to check out Jeff Couch's RV Nation back in Indiana. I bought a 2021 45' voltage from them in December, MSRP was in the 130s and I paid 72 plus 3k for delivery. Super easy process, and because I bought it when they had it on order, it never even hit the sales floor. Dutchmen sent it to them, they PDI'd it, and then put it on a truck to get it out here.

Regarding the warranty, the last thing I want to do is stick my trailer in an RV dealer for three months waiting to get some b******* item fixed. I was missing the steps to the back patio, and the factory shipped them to my house. I also had a couple other little items that could be warranty work, and the lady at Jeff Couch's RV set it up for me to have a mobile RV repair guy come to the house and the factory would pay them direct. I ended up fixing them myself, but it's good to know that I had options.

We all agree with you that RV build quality and QC is a complete crock of s***, but in reality, what can we do? We just spent 4 days at Vail Lake, and I had to spend a couple hours fixing a few things in the trailer once we got back this afternoon. No big deal, it's all worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

81Sprint

Reaction score
You might want to check out Jeff Couch's RV Nation back in Indiana. I bought a 2021 45' voltage from them in December, MSRP was in the 130s and I paid 72 plus 3k for delivery. Super easy process, and because I bought it when they had it on order, it never even hit the sales floor. Dutchmen sent it to them, they PDI'd it, and then put it on a truck to get it out here.

Regarding the warranty, the last thing I want to do is stick my trailer in an RV dealer for three months waiting to get some b******* item fixed. I was missing the steps to the back patio, and the factory shipped them to my house. I also had a couple other little items that could be warranty work, and the lady at Jeff Couch's RV set it up for me to have a mobile RV repair guy come to the house and the factory would pay them direct. I ended up fixing them myself, but it's good to know that I had options.

We all agree with you that RV build quality and QC is a complete crock of s***, but in reality, what can we do? We just spent 4 days at Vail Lake, and I had to spend a couple hours fixing a few things in the trailer once we got back this afternoon. No big deal, it's all worth it in the end.

This is the way to do it! screw leaving your rig at a dealer for months on end, the local dealers here have very little new inventory but a ton of trailers in for warranty work so they are parking them in the sales lot so it doesn't look so empty. How do you like the Voltage so far? We are putting our house up for sale very shortly to go full time and are currently looking for that size Toyhauler. I've told the wife we need to buy from the midwest to get the best deal even if i have to go get it

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Did you take a look at the new Outdoor RV toy haulers. I had one of their trailers apx 3 years ago and it was definitely well built and beautiful. I had a Titanium package upgrade. I believe the company was started from ex Arctic Fox employees. They came out with a toy hauler model about 2 years ago. Not cheap though.

if i was looking new they would be one along with Grand Design and a few others I would look at.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

Couch texts me and emails me daily lol. I will give them a shot for sure.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

I have seen some good deals on Tritons which are lower level Voltages. Not sure I want to tell you were though....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

grumpy88

Reaction score
Warranty sucked here too. Out of 18 months of owner ship the dealer had it 4 months. So please do tell me what I have done wrong. Explain to me why I should buy here for 10k more than out of state.
Let’s here how that math works.

I can pay 10k out of pocket for repairs and still break even. And get the unit back faster since I’m paying cash for the repair.

Maybe your comment should read. Local dealer fucks around customer that buys new RV every 2yrs they don’t appreciate his repeat business.

Always 3 sides to the story.

BTW how exactly am I ripping the dealer. Offered 7k more for a smaller lesser option trailer than I bought a 1.5yrs ago.
Much less trailer for lots more money. Yup I’m ripping them ok.

I even told the manager I understand supply and demand. If you can sell it next week for more than 55k I wouldn’t sell it to me either.
But that don’t mean I have to buy it for more.
What you originally posted was you ripping a 3 generation small town rv dealer . Not a rv manufacturer . Obviously you know no matter what price range you buy at its going to have problems . Obviously from your post you are capable of fixing most the problems your self so you already know its going to have problems so why rip on a dealer for reiterating what you already know ? I agree that it would be nice to buy something and have a reasonable expectation it is going to work as intended but that is not the case in the rv world . If it helps i will gladly take your new rig if or when you get one for a season to make sure it is ready to hand over 😁. Good luck on your purchase

CLdrinker

Reaction score
What you originally posted was you ripping a 3 generation small town rv dealer . Not a rv manufacturer . Obviously you know no matter what price range you buy at its going to have problems . Obviously from your post you are capable of fixing most the problems your self so you already know its going to have problems so why rip on a dealer for reiterating what you already know ? I agree that it would be nice to buy something and have a reasonable expectation it is going to work as intended but that is not the case in the rv world . If it helps i will gladly take your new rig if or when you get one for a season to make sure it is ready to hand over 😁. Good luck on your purchase
Not Ripping stating facts. Maybe after 3 generations they would find a way to get the manufacture to step up to the plate and do better. Or Atleast not be so eager to put the burden of a broken trailer on the new owner.
A simple yes we know shit happens but we will get it handled swiftly for you if the need arises.

Not yes shit happens you better be able to fix it.

obviously you are buddies with the family. So they can do no wrong in your eyes which is fine.

Im far from perfect. In my line of work I make mistakes but when these mistakes are brought to my attention they are priority one. I think All industries should be the same.

yz450mm

Reaction score
I have seen some good deals on Tritons which are lower level Voltages. Not sure I want to tell you were though....
I had a 2018 39 foot Triton before I got the new voltage, it was a very nice trailer but the Voltage is definitely worth the step up in price.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Not Ripping stating facts. Maybe after 3 generations they would find a way to get the manufacture to step up to the plate and do better. Or Atleast not be so eager to put the burden of a broken trailer on the new owner.
A simple yes we know shit happens but we will get it handled swiftly for you if the need arises.

Not yes shit happens you better be able to fix it.

obviously you are buddies with the family. So they can do no wrong in your eyes which is fine.

Im far from perfect. In my line of work I make mistakes but when these mistakes are brought to my attention they are priority one. I think All industries should be the same.
Your right . Good luck with your purchase out of state 👍🏻

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I had a 2018 39 foot Triton before I got the new voltage, it was a very nice trailer but the Voltage is definitely worth the step up in price.

Any issues with either trailer?
What did you tow the Triton 39’ with?

yz450mm

Reaction score
Any issues with either trailer?
What did you tow the Triton 39’ with?
2017 Duramax 3500 for the Triton, 2020 Duramax 3500 for the voltage. I put airbags on the 2020, it really helps the ride especially when you have that much pin weight.

No major issues with either trailer. I have a couple thousand miles on the voltage already, and the only thing I've had to fix are random pieces of interior trim that have come loose.