WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toy Hauler versus RV

DLC

Reaction score
Older class A gas coach can get a little white knuckle in windy conditions….

I got pushed into the next lane driving down Cajon pass, was only doing 40-45 mph but a gust popped up. good thing nobody was there!
I had a 2000 F53 35 ft winnebago. When ever I drove it, I was on vacation - very comfortable

class A diesel is more solid (heavy ) and doesn’t get pushed around in the wind

not sure how a truck and 5th wheel does in the wind

if buying a motor home now I would look for a used 2005-2010 diesel rig w/ a 400 motor

01erionracing

Reaction score
So on an older motorhome, lets say 2002 - 2006, in that $30k range...what gas engine should I be looking for? Most likely would only be towing a flat bed with a sxs and dirtbikes...POSSIBLY a 21' boat occasionally...
I bought an ex rental 2001 e450 from cruise America in 2004 enjoyed cross country travel, family camping and desert off road yearly for 14 years towing an enclosed trailer and did not experience with any major issue at all. Sold it to friend of a friend and he still enjoying it.
I am now towing a same trailer with a DP 450HP ISM

Attachments

• 2012-11-22 12.16.25.JPG
    2012-11-22 12.16.25.JPG
    1,000 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3631.jpeg
    IMG_3631.jpeg
    978.4 KB · Views: 58

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Older class A gas coach can get a little white knuckle in windy conditions….

I got pushed into the next lane driving down Cajon pass, was only doing 40-45 mph but a gust popped up. good thing nobody was there!
I had a 2000 F53 35 ft winnebago. When ever I drove it, I was on vacation - very comfortable

class A diesel is more solid (heavy ) and doesn’t get pushed around in the wind

not sure how a truck and 5th wheel does in the wind

if buying a motor home now I would look for a used 2005-2010 diesel rig w/ a 400 motor
If the truck is a one ton crew cab dually and the fifth wheel has enough pin weight, I doubt the fifth wheel is a problem at all in a normal cross wind unless it gets to the point where the wind speed is high enough for tipping to be a concern, but I would think it would have to be gusts over 45+ favoring the back corner.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
It took a 95 mph gust to level my toyhauler which also leveled a converted bus at the same time so pick what you like.

trophybug19

Reaction score
So on an older motorhome, lets say 2002 - 2006, in that $30k range...what gas engine should I be looking for? Most likely would only be towing a flat bed with a sxs and dirtbikes...POSSIBLY a 21' boat occasionally...
I have a 2005 bounder with the workhorse chassis. I've towed my old 21 toyhauler twice with it. Empty but with my kids quads in them and some chairs. Pulls it better than my truck did. Will be selling the trailer once I have time and getting an enclosed. Can't say anything bad yet about the workhorse.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Just got back from a trip. Still amazes me how well my 35' V10 gasser pulls the 26' box trailer. Trailer is 7k loaded with the rail, 3 bikes, 60 gallons of fuel, tools, etc.
My coach is a 2007 with the 3V V10 and 5 speed trans, that helps alot VS the older 2V motors. The coach is also on the long F53 wheelbase with higher GVWR, so it gets the deep 5.38 rear gears. It's not winning any races up steep grades but it will usually hold 55 if I let it rev 4500+ I usually back off a touch and let it climb around 4200rpm, which is about 48-50 mph on the steep stuff. Easy to maintain, cheap to fix, no DEF, just a thirsty MOFO at 6-7 mpg

gfqnmtkfZCdnkc8v_PlMtpApMpwNEvVSZFpAat-SOcpWE7JWvJIVan_sf9kr7nSn4wtWm7CMnD1oU0-21Jbblt5xCwOwf609v2ZlVa6XtRabgfkSzxVUINcEWz-di3aoS3R4cmkVzj_tI56KP7aEHld9WixYnDCat_Z3B6xQ4_PujBmmYyfMjbbMuzQDRH4OpqUIrbZrQ1hv6qjDVu2wqkDS783uEaKDJ5UtVC-zmNygWTe0MipipncoeUDaBYnREGwBRje9edq6PspI2i3BOueFJ_zZB1tOBXsp5MZA4nSNfVYy18xG-cSzMcHM1vKQhn3mCl5yILucbB8SJMgqdMK_Wh-0fT3dx6sfl_L_wXq_A4nuUVwN-6LxfQQYdGLmRgy-1bhDSknALIi3Gf8voIHdymuWLCrgldQNYtN5_UDak4aJNiSPWA8Pb078sXMG_uP9CAEQDPIEFi5SyLPkW5vqd8DYbdUfue-fxWPDZKN1TDM-9FiwDgHI7_9OjSmHiAkT60VSM4-IYS8vVBjsFP8KPLRA4qM-6BNkVD7QldgKsKt-iY-X3yghyvmwz_QveKgP9_B-avumFDxrKsSiohn2DG6OEj8oc-VJd2NpNY599lsfBN5E30kL4q8a_hOog5wFLoTVmTXfkYjxDVl7haHVMphjKQgsbuNxu__Lq0yZmIe6UB4h1IuqmxnPOjON2BsdCGdNJuwWE_9Bcqh6MzwABKXn1-kgnGXVT-o4fV-QeuMUrYBOsu5m0bLiBx3r0CIAm6asU0wosf9-YDPT81QBsl20RhA5674JRJmpP8gMhvENeqfsDH2rFc6c9uNHHC1fDhcHCL1ceNaDvy2zcdTTiVYz__KzvwyiyDQPMmeYvDhs0_p-B5FJv5MB8PaYcwT-GV-Uz2uF0328HCIE4NQhleg1vr8BVxze5QVw7EDiMw=w1460-h1946-no

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
We have a '19 Forest River FR3...F53 chassis, V10, 6 speed transmission. We use it pretty heavily and have been cross country twice towing my wife's Traverse. Sierra's, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, the river...love this thing! It has been great for us!

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
1st picture is our set up on the 03 second picture is my friends rig on the right. I did have a class 5 receiver welded on to mine just for a little piece of mind.

1EF549B5-767D-4124-B7D3-A61AFB7404A8.jpeg
His is the chevy platform and is hooked up to 12k lb plus trailer and he seems happy with the set up. He had the rear hitch set up to handle the weight. Also if you go class C the 1st thing it add is a 2in receiver to the front incase you ever get stuck it make it soo much easier to get out.
97CD249D-36C6-4E0E-A22C-D6D30A6BE01F.jpeg

Reactions: DLC

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I am looking at small class a's similar to this:

just seems that they come in so many different motor/chassis configurations...I don't know where to really start and what to stay away from

c_land

Reaction score

just seems that they come in so many different motor/chassis configurations...I don't know where to really start and what to stay away from
That class a gasser posted here was a solid deal

Any particular reason you’re Interested in the class a? I am in the same boat looking at similar sizes/floorplans but class c.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score

Did you see that clean class for under 30k listed on offroad loans yesterday

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I picked up a super clean 2001 26.5’ class C that we’re gonna run up to montana this summer and use for local weekemd off-roading trips. Has a v10 with airbags and bumped up tow package, flat tow setup, as well as a big living room slide. For offroad stuff we use a flat bed trailer, it’s light and no big deal to pull. While the big setups are super rad once you get there, the workload to make all that happen is a real thing to consider. I’m 90 minutes in prep coming and going, to get it out and put it away, that’s a nice thing for me.

I never considered a smaller unit like this until I saw this one, I was looking at the larger 31’ rear bedrooms, this one has a really nice rear bathroom with big shower, separate water closet, and nice sink area. Both my wife and daughter can go back there at same time and handle business. The kiddo has the top bunk over cab, and the couch pulls out for wife an I, the dinette also drops down, I guess you could sleep 6 if you wanted. We’re just camping, not living in it😉

I looked at a bunch of used RVs, almost all were clapped out, this one was a gem, original owner who kept it covered and waxed, low miles and lots of little upgrades and improvements over the years he owned it. Older gentleman who enjoyed it with his wife, but their group of friends got older and stopped going so it wasn’t getting used. It was his second RV and he ordered this one with well thought out options, he was an engineer. Buying a used RV is really more about the type of guy you’re buying it from IMO than anything else. The right guy will have everything dialed in and well taken care of and improved. We saved $100k going this route vs. pulling the trigger on a new one. It sits out back covered 99% of the time just the same as a new one would 😂 We’ll run it and enjoy, if we decide to go a different route later I’m sure it will be an even money exit. It’s nice to be able to get on and out of these things without taking a bath, seems like no one ever runs them as much as they think they will. I’d like to do a big pusher when we are empty nesters and hit the road for longer periods of time, for now it’s just little weekend getaways and lots of time together as a family.

EF830885-5A5D-4564-8028-989D2041C2FE.jpeg

0E3C80A8-E51D-43BC-9D63-443B3397BCDE.jpeg

Fabhouse

Reaction score

I was the guy selling that motorhome, and I really liked it. It was just a bit to small for a family of 4. Initially I wanted to stay with a short coach because I was concerned with the break over angle getting into my driveway, but that proved to be a non issue. It was always intended to be a "try it and see if we like it" motorhome-I knew I wanted a diesel pusher if the family enjoyed using it. The wife and kids really loved it, and that was all I needed. We have owned many toyhaulers, and just never really loved the towing/setup/teardown/towing program. The motorhome is easier, even more for short weekend trips without a trailer or TOAD.
I spent many, many years in the racing industry, and have traveled the country driving everything-pickup with a gooseneck, class C, class A, pushers, buses, super C, mid duty trucks w/ a 53' toy hauler......and the only thing I would drive for enjoyment would be at a minimum a class A, but the best was a short diesel pusher with at least a Cat C7 or a cummins ISC.
I found a reasonably clean 2007 Monaco Safari 34 with a Cat C7, low miles, and most importantly a low price. It needed some work, but I tend to enjoy that. New wheels, tires, air bags, windshield, HOURS of cleaning, etc...should work well for a while. Ill post it here when its for sale.
IMG_5665.jpg

dezertrider

Reaction score
504A4909-0FE2-4A03-B8B2-79D7EEF4F818.jpeg
FAB43883-374F-4F0E-A25B-A8DBC2DB8509.jpeg
My wife and I have owned 12 RVs in our lifetime so far. Each one of them worked for us at the time. Now the kids have there own RVs so it’s just us and the dogs so my goal is making set up and tear down as easy as possible. This set up requires pulling out 4 chairs, two lights, releasing a couple of tie downs and driving the toys off the trailer. I almost forgot pulling out the Starlink

Badchoices03

Reaction score
What is the thought on the Ford V10? Possibly looking at this today

012917E3-E711-410F-BCA6-EDEC94CBFCB9.jpeg

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score

View attachment 1203412
The next few days are great for looking at motorhomes. If they have a roof leak you’ll know it. Roof leaks and repairs can get pretty expensive.

Fabhouse

Reaction score

View attachment 1203412
2006 should be good, I would confirm that it has the 3 valve engine, vs the earlier 2V. 2005/2006 was the change over year. Also should have a 5 speed vs the earlier 4 speed. They tend to run higher in the rev range than the 8.1, but reliability does not seem to be an issue. If the coach has what you are looking for, go for it!

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
You know another thing ive been thinking about is how well these rvs or toy haulers are constructed. I knock on wood haven't seen frame cracks or wall sag with my 2007 attitude, but toy haulers are notorious for this. Also there are toy haulers that have been made where the weight ratings dont jive with the axle configuration. I have a buddy who ended up needing to add a third axle to his 5th wheel toy hauler.

I dont know if RVs have similar issues like this, but its worth consideration in my opinion.

Are there any members that can shed more light on these issues?

endobear

Reaction score
I've never owned a motor home. I see the appeal though.
Tag TH for us.²
#1 reason. I can haul alot of machines. 2 rapror 250s, 1 suzuki ltz400 and a 4 seat rzr.
#2 If something breaks, I have my truck to get it out and get parts.
#3 My old 7.3 is easy to find parts for and fix myself. Knock on wood.
#4 if I can't figure out a problem with my truck. It's easier to get a buddy to help you haul a tag home over a 5th or a motor home.
#5 we do alot of side trips from camp. If the weather's bad, we will take a drive. Go check something out.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
You know another thing ive been thinking about is how well these rvs or toy haulers are constructed. I knock on wood haven't seen frame cracks or wall sag with my 2007 attitude, but toy haulers are notorious for this. Also there are toy haulers that have been made where the weight ratings dont jive with the axle configuration. I have a buddy who ended up needing to add a third axle to his 5th wheel toy hauler.

I dont know if RVs have similar issues like this, but its worth consideration in my opinion.

Are there any members that can shed more light on these issues?
I have noticed a lot of 35+ fifth wheels on two axles. Sorry not doing that. Something that big needs a triple.

I can’t figure out their math. Empty weight is like 22k and they put it on two 7k axles. Must be cost cutting, or they figure you’re not going to own it long enough to matter.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Well the one I was gonna look at today sold before I got a chance to get there..on to the next

boatnam2

Reaction score
I would have no problem with anything with a v-10, motor is a tank.

DalesSpeed

Reaction score
70C56671-6AB5-4902-888F-98BCF4049150.jpeg

This v10 has more than surprised me. 3300 miles last summer to MO and SD and another 900 last weekend.

I had my concerns knowing we were headed through grades such as Vail Pass to the Eisenhower tunnel. The v10 did everything better than I anticipated.

This picture was from last weekend. Trip up to Vacaville and then south through Santa Cruz and back to So Cal last Tuesday. In the wind and through the grapevine we stayed steady with big rig traffic (40-50 mph) fully loaded down. Now If a truck cuts me off, I’m probably not recovering past 35-40mph until the grade crests.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have noticed a lot of 35+ fifth wheels on two axles. Sorry not doing that. Something that big needs a triple.

I can’t figure out their math. Empty weight is like 22k and they put it on two 7k axles. Must be cost cutting, or they figure you’re not going to own it long enough to matter.
Where are you seeing empty weight toyhaulers being 22k with only 2 7k axles?

All Toyhauler manufacturers subtract the tongue weight from the required axle capacity.

So on a fifth wheel that has 2 7k axles the gross well get rating would be around 16k as you will
Have over 2k on the tongue therefore the axles only need to carry 14k.

It’s super shity of them to do the bear minium. But they sell so🤷‍♂️

Icky

Reaction score

My 40' toyhauler 3 axle loaded with water, food, sandrail etc for glamis is only 18-19k.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
When I got started out camping on my own it was with two quads in the bed of my GMC and a 26' Tahoe camper behind that. Then moved up to a Ram 2500 with a Cummins towing a Newmar trailer. After that a Ram 3500 towing a Rage'n toy hauler. Due to my growing family started looking at new toy haulers and was in shock at not only the price, but shitty build quality. On top of that, my Ram 3500 can only tow about 15k. So new truck, new toy hauler I am looking at around $200k. No way, I still like my old 2005 Ram, not getting rid of it. Instead, found a clean Dutch Star DP with a Cummins for $64k and ordered an enclosed car hauler optioned how I want and am in about $83k total. The only downside is a set of tires for my coach is 3.5k to 5k and the fuel mileage is around 8 mpg. I also was limited on trailer length if I wanted to stay legal. I am right at 65' long now.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
How do you visually identify the 2 valve vs 3 valve V10 ford motor if it's near that changeover timeframe?

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Ok next question, I think the decision has been made and we are going to give it a shot at an RV, haven't found the right one yet, but the reason we are looking for an affordable option is so that we can see if its for us, if we like it, we will upgrade down the road, if we don't like it, we will sell it and go back to a toy hauler...

That being said, I have towed all kinds of different trailers, both bumper pull and 5th wheel...but I never driven a RV of any kind...what is the learning curve of driving a smaller class A? My wife is super nervous and doesn't even want to look at RV's that are outside of our general vicinity because she doesn't want our first driving experience to be a long haul back home...I haven't really gave it much though and have just been confident that I would just figure it out as I went....but just curious what everyone thinks?

Sorry for all the questions, you guys are my only "friends"....lol

DMF

Reaction score
Ok next question, I think the decision has been made and we are going to give it a shot at an RV, haven't found the right one yet, but the reason we are looking for an affordable option is so that we can see if its for us, if we like it, we will upgrade down the road, if we don't like it, we will sell it and go back to a toy hauler...

That being said, I have towed all kinds of different trailers, both bumper pull and 5th wheel...but I never driven a RV of any kind...what is the learning curve of driving a smaller class A? My wife is super nervous and doesn't even want to look at RV's that are outside of our general vicinity because she doesn't want our first driving experience to be a long haul back home...I haven't really gave it much though and have just been confident that I would just figure it out as I went....but just curious what everyone thinks?

I was in the same boat as you with boat, toyhauler, and 5th wheel experience. We rented a 36' class A last summer and towed a 18' car trailer on a 1,100 mile round trip. I've never driven one prior and didn't think it was difficult at all. It rained on the first 400 miles of my trup. I would think you would be fine.

Fabhouse

Reaction score

That was my program to a T. Buy a cheap one and try it, then we can move up. If you can tow a toy hauler, you are going to be fine in a class A. Or C. If I could give my self advise 3 months ago from now, I would say to just buy the one you want. It would have saved me a good amount of money.

69hondo

Reaction score

Go rent one and try it that way. Make sure it has a hitch and put a trailer behind it.
One thing you will notice towing with a gasser class A in the wind is going to be a different than towing a fifth wheel in the wind.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yep, get a DP with tag axles, and you will never worry about towing.