WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toy Hauler versus RV

outboard_256

Reaction score
I settled on toy hauler because I use my truck so much when at the campsite. I feel like I use it a lot. Quick trips to the store if you forgot something. Fire roads with the whole family in a nice A/C truck to the bar or hot springs. Using it to move big things between campsites. I tried the motorhome and toad but it wasn't the same. Had to choose between the toad and trailer each time and sometimes you want both. Yes the trailer takes longer to setup/breakdown camp but you just plan for it and it's not too bad.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Our other issue is we currently have a 6.7 Super Duty....if we go the RV route, we don't need that truck, but we will still need a truck for boating and local riding....so now I have to contemplate do I sell it and get a regular gas F150/Silverado....or just keep it...I feel like its too much truck to just sit around 90% of its life
Kind of same boat, i was thinking i was wanting a 5ver, but not sure now.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Another vote for the MoHo... we've been running that setup for the last 10 years or so with a growing family and it has been great. Never once felt like I needed a vehicle to get around where we camp.

Now if it was just me solo camping in the dunes... sometimes I think having a lance camper on a truck with a flatbed would be the ticket lol.... easy work.

77charger

Reaction score
For me currently toy hauler does fine plus at glamis I can get off the crowded spots and into the sand sways from everyone else.

Motorhome I wouldn’t want another reg ins and maintenance at the moment

My fav was my lance cabover. Pull flatbed for solo trips with friends still camp off the road. Could pull boat to river or carry jet ski on front hitch rack for river. Only prob kids outgrew it

goshen82

Reaction score
I would go with the motorhome. I really only use mine for glamis season and we go to Newport dunes every once in awhile but it’s definitely nice to pull up to camp and not have to unload the trailer before you can sleep. I had a 5th wheel before and that was one of the things I did not like about it. Also I just open my slides and push a button to level. I don’t have to fold down any couches or put up tables. I get not having a truck but normally someone in camp has one if you needed it. As far as getting stuck I only park on the pads on gecko so I’ve never gotten my Rv stuck. Also if you have little kids or a wife who always has to stop and pee you never have to in the Rv. My only stops are for fuel.

c_land

Reaction score
Check this thing out. You can fit two 4 seat utvs and a load of quads

https://classifieds.race-dezert.com...Racer-Swag-Edition-Stacker-toy-hauler--192759

1669817735087.jpeg

1669817760431.jpeg

1669817839920.jpeg

JayBreww

Reaction score
I’ll bite now that the deal is done.

Had a toy hauler for 5 years. 2007 Thor lightweight 26 foot front bedroom model.
Used for desert and one season at the Islander.
It fit my YXZ and a 400ex without trouble. It could fit a RZR 4 seater if you strap the front suspension.
It was always tight in there no matter what. Having to unload the car before being able to relax after driving for hours once we arrived at the camp was always a pain.
Unhooking the truck to level the trailer sucked, I use a weight distribution hitch.
Interior always seemed to be dusty no matter how often we wiped down.
E41CC854-07B4-4310-8EED-F7207D302A4C.jpeg

Our new rig is a 2016 Class C, bunk house model.
We have a 20 month old so having the low bunk will be nice for the little guy.
Being able to leave everything inside and move around while traveling I feel is going to be huge. Not putting the extra miles on my truck will be nice. We rarely left the camp site with my truck so that shouldn’t be an issue. The SXS would either stay in the toy hauler or garage, so now it’ll be the garage until enclosed trailers drop back down to reality.
3677BDCE-BAFC-410F-8F84-8226231EE489.jpeg

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Kids where young when we started and didn’t have a lot of toys so we did more beach trips. But when we went to the desert in the beginning it was nice to pull in late and have the kids in bed before we parked. Watching friends unload the truck and trailer to put the kids to bed didn’t look fun from my seat by the campfire. Also we don’t have a problem being cousin Eddie during the holidays in the motorhome!
3FA2047F-AE04-472F-9004-4C82E8B277FE.gif

1tonfun

Reaction score
I have had both bumper pull and 5th wheel toy haulers and we switched to a Super C about 6 years ago and never looked back. When we moved out of the 40' toy hauler into the RV, my wife couldn't believe how much more storage she has. She will never go back to a trailer now that the kids are grown and its just the 2 of us.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Who is it that posted the Story about the reality of driving down the highway in a motor home😂

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Having put about 60k miles on our coach, I can say, it was the very best way to travel.

gqchris

Reaction score
When I used to sell Motorhomes and Trailers, My Favorite line was "When you have a Motorhome, the vacation starts the minute you sit down to leave!".

Always alot of truth in that!

Badchoices03

Reaction score
What about fresh water and black/grey storage, I hear most RV's are not set up to dry camp for too long?

JayBreww

Reaction score
What about fresh water and black/grey storage, I hear most RV's are not set up to dry camp for too long?
Class C are limited.
Most A’s have 80+ fresh.
My new C has 50 fresh. But I’ll have a 50 gallon on the trailer.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
@Badchoices03
@Bigbore500r

THE PITCH

Your driving down the 40, nestled in a barcalounger. "Honey, do you want something to drink?" Your wife asks from the kitchen, as she's chopping onions for your sizzling omelet. "Sure honey, thanks!" you say. Your wife walks up hands you a frosty beverage, then offers up a back massage from the dinette seat behind you. You my friend, are living the dream! "Dad.....have to pee!" your 3 year old cries from the overhead bunk, where he and his sister are watching DirectTV fed from an auto-seek satellite dish. "No problem honey, let me take you to the bathroom" your wife says. "Mom...i have to poop too!" your daughter chimes in. You bump the cruise control to 82 and enjoy that beverage while your wife wipes your kids asses. A quick check of the rear view reveals sunshine and rainbows, reflecting off the gleaming silhouette of your 30' stacker. The kids walk back up to the front and give you a hug as they plop down in front of the big screen. That omelet smells amazing! You turn around and catch a glimpse of your wifes thong as she bends over in heels to pull the tri tip out of the oven. You're gonna wreck that ass later in your slide out master bedroom, and you deserve it. Auto level jacks keep the rig from rocking while you slay the poon. You are king of the road.....

THE REALITY

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH..........the motor sounds every bit of that 4000 rpm as you creep along at 42mph uphill in 2nd, yanking a 10k enclosed box trailer behind your 5k rated Moho. Silverware, cookie sheets and oven racks crash and clatter as you hit every pothole the slow lane has to offer. "Dont worry, you'll make it to the top, and who's racing anyway? " A semi trailer with flashers on looms in the distance, and your rate of closure is slow but steady. Will you crest the grade before you have to pass? God please dont let me get stuck behind this guy, cause I don't think getting back up to this speed is an option! Your kids scream "are we there yet dad?" No kids.....dont f*cking ask again, its gonna be a while! It's been hours since breakfast. "Honey, can you make me a sandwich?" You ask. "WHAAAAAAAAT?" She screams over the wind noise and monstrous V10 roar. "I SAID....CAN YOU MAKE ME A SANDWICH". She rolls her eyes and unbuckles her seat belt. After smacking her head on the overhead bunk she steps towards the back. WHAM! - She then flies back onto the center console as you slam the brakes for that Uhaul that just blew past and cut you off. Your wife sits back down. Fuck your sandwich. You wipe the spilled soda off that 70's looking CCTV rear view monitor. "Who built the cup holders in this wood center console anyways" you mumble. "Dad...i have to poop!" you son yells. You begrudgingly ask the wife to take them to the bathroom. She slams her phone down and makes her way toward the dinette, only to discover smashed cheetoes and juice everywhere. She grabs the kids and tries to hold on to the children and the countertop while precariously inching toward the bathroom. You had a straight section of road a minute ago, but what bad timing - Here comes a corner - "Hang on honey!" you yell. You turn around just in time to catch a glimpse of your toddlers face being jammed into the stove as your wifes loses balance and smashes her. She frantically grabs to stabilize herself and rips the curtain off the plastic ceiling track. The little roller hooks fly everywhere like skittles. You turn around and keep your mouth shut.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Buy a pusher. Could’t be any different than the above descriptions. Quiet ( the big, low revving diesel is 40ft behind ya,) effortless, and very relaxing. Btw, ya don’t even notice a 10k trailer.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
@Badchoices03
@Bigbore500r

THE PITCH

Your driving down the 40, nestled in a barcalounger. "Honey, do you want something to drink?" Your wife asks from the kitchen, as she's chopping onions for your sizzling omelet. "Sure honey, thanks!" you say. Your wife walks up hands you a frosty beverage, then offers up a back massage from the dinette seat behind you. You my friend, are living the dream! "Dad.....have to pee!" your 3 year old cries from the overhead bunk, where he and his sister are watching DirectTV fed from an auto-seek satellite dish. "No problem honey, let me take you to the bathroom" your wife says. "Mom...i have to poop too!" your daughter chimes in. You bump the cruise control to 82 and enjoy that beverage while your wife wipes your kids asses. A quick check of the rear view reveals sunshine and rainbows, reflecting off the gleaming silhouette of your 30' stacker. The kids walk back up to the front and give you a hug as they plop down in front of the big screen. That omelet smells amazing! You turn around and catch a glimpse of your wifes thong as she bends over in heels to pull the tri tip out of the oven. You're gonna wreck that ass later in your slide out master bedroom, and you deserve it. Auto level jacks keep the rig from rocking while you slay the poon. You are king of the road.....

THE REALITY

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH..........the motor sounds every bit of that 4000 rpm as you creep along at 42mph uphill in 2nd, yanking a 10k enclosed box trailer behind your 5k rated Moho. Silverware, cookie sheets and oven racks crash and clatter as you hit every pothole the slow lane has to offer. "Dont worry, you'll make it to the top, and who's racing anyway? " A semi trailer with flashers on looms in the distance, and your rate of closure is slow but steady. Will you crest the grade before you have to pass? God please dont let me get stuck behind this guy, cause I don't think getting back up to this speed is an option! Your kids scream "are we there yet dad?" No kids.....dont f*cking ask again, its gonna be a while! It's been hours since breakfast. "Honey, can you make me a sandwich?" You ask. "WHAAAAAAAAT?" She screams over the wind noise and monstrous V10 roar. "I SAID....CAN YOU MAKE ME A SANDWICH". She rolls her eyes and unbuckles her seat belt. After smacking her head on the overhead bunk she steps towards the back. WHAM! - She then flies back onto the center console as you slam the brakes for that Uhaul that just blew past and cut you off. Your wife sits back down. Fuck your sandwich. You wipe the spilled soda off that 70's looking CCTV rear view monitor. "Who built the cup holders in this wood center console anyways" you mumble. "Dad...i have to poop!" you son yells. You begrudgingly ask the wife to take them to the bathroom. She slams her phone down and makes her way toward the dinette, only to discover smashed cheetoes and juice everywhere. She grabs the kids and tries to hold on to the children and the countertop while precariously inching toward the bathroom. You had a straight section of road a minute ago, but what bad timing - Here comes a corner - "Hang on honey!" you yell. You turn around just in time to catch a glimpse of your toddlers face being jammed into the stove as your wifes loses balance and smashes her. She frantically grabs to stabilize herself and rips the curtain off the plastic ceiling track. The little roller hooks fly everywhere like skittles. You turn around and keep your mouth shut.

LOL...thats awesome!

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Buy a pusher. Could’t be any different than the above descriptions. Quiet ( the big, low revving diesel is 40ft behind ya,) effortless, and very relaxing. Btw, ya don’t even notice a 10k trailer.

I don't have RDP money....lol...my budget would be in the $30-$40k range...

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I don't have RDP money....lol...my budget would be in the $30-$40k range...
You would be surprised what you can buy one for. There are some real deals out there now. A smaller diesel pusher , isn’t too far off from that budget.

ps. People/ dealers are starting to really deal.

badgas

Reaction score
@Badchoices03
@Bigbore500r

THE PITCH

THE REALITY

Priceless : )

Nosocks

Reaction score
If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, a separate garage model toy hauler is a quick fix for many issues. Assuming you don’t need a ton of space.

The 5th wheels can have garages as big as 18 feet, with most 10-14ft. Can be found in in a bumper pull as well.

I can’t make sense of an RV. Sticking with a toy hauler.

69hondo

Reaction score
MY class A gasser has a 70 gallon fresh water tank. We just got back from 4 nights in the dunes with 6 adults in it and we came back with a few gallons. The diesel pushers I have been looking at all have over 100 gallons of water. most large toy haulers will always have bigger fresh water tanks. My cousins WW has 150 gallons.

Oh and @Bigbore500r is back in a class A and enclosed.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
RV trader has a ton of diesel pushers in the 30-40k range. And that’s asking. Pre def would be my pick. Here’s a nice example.

CA4216BF-2B0E-468A-A944-74BA000A72E9.png

69hondo

Reaction score
In al honesty if you have a SXS or buggy plus a couple/few kids on fullsize bikes/quads it is going to be hard to find a toy hauler to fit the bill. Right now we put my buggy , 2 trx250r quads, one 25or ATC and 1 full size dirtbike in my enclosed without having to stand anything. I have to play tettris with loading. Anymore and we are standing stuff which sucks. When we move to a DP I am going to look at getting a longer enclosed or a stacker. Damn kids! lol me to.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Toy hauler...

Registration, batteries, tires. (All cheap)

MH...

Transmission, rear end, shocks, belts, hoses, brakes, water pumps, coolant, thermostat, fuel pump, fuel filter, driveshaft, u-joints, generator maintenance, ball joints, king pins, insurance, Registration, expensive azz tires...

Anymore questions?? 🤣

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Toy hauler...

Registration, batteries, tires. (All cheap)

MH...

Transmission, rear end, shocks, belts, hoses, brakes, water pumps, coolant, thermostat, fuel pump, fuel filter, driveshaft, u-joints, generator maintenance, ball joints, king pins, insurance, Registration, expensive azz tires...

Anymore questions?? 🤣
Yeah where do you find a tow vehicle for your trailer that doesn’t have any of that?

I’d guess most people don’t ever get over 30k miles out of there motorhome. We’re on year 7 with ours and we use it at least once a month and just now went over 34k miles. I’ve been through three trucks since then all having over 150k miles for work I couldn’t imagine using that as my reliable tow vehicle!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yeah where do you find a tow vehicle for your trailer that doesn’t have any of that?

I’d guess most people don’t ever get over 30k miles out of there motorhome. We’re on year 7 with ours and we use it at least once a month and just now went over 34k miles. I’ve been through three trucks since then all having over 150k miles for work I couldn’t imagine using that as my reliable tow vehicle!

Well......

Sounds to me like you're a Chebby guy!

I still have my 99 F350 I bought when I got my toy hauler. Still runs perfect.

You're right of course, but my truck is Far more usable than a MH could ever be.

brgrcru

Reaction score
@Badchoices03
@Bigbore500r

THE PITCH

THE REALITY

Damn that is so funny and true lmao

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Wife and I were sitting around camp this weekend and on both sides of us were RV's that both looked to be in the 2000-2005 range. and we were saying how much easier it would be to have something similar and just pull a small trailer with the Talon, my sons dirtbike, and some firewood rather then a toy hauler with everything inside of it having to come out and go back in.

Seems to be a lot easier, what am I missing?

I don't have the budget for a big newer RV, but doing some quick searching, with my budget in mind ($30k - $38k), I ran across a few rigs that look good on paper, but not knowing a lot about RV's and RV'ing, I am not sure what I am am looking at or looking for. This is all just a pipe dream for now, but I like pipe dreams....LOL

For instance I saw this one:

View attachment 1176059
The only downside is not having a truck at camp. But other than that.....you will be waaaaaaaay more comfortable, both traveling and camped.
I've had a bumper pull TH, a 5'er TH, a Class C motorhome and now a 35' Class A.

We absolutely love our Class A. 2007 gasser, 35' bunkhouse. Has large basement storage, 95 gallon fresh, 25 gallon propane tank, and it can boondock for 10 days with our family of 4 without issue.

We tow a 24' enclosed, and it does fine on power. If your going gasser, I highly recommend making sure the rig is a 2007+ so you get the 3V V10 (alot more power) and the 5 speed trans. Previous to 2007, Class A's will have the older 2V V10 and 4 speed trans.

Also - make sure you get the 22K or 24K GVWR long wheelbase Chassis (most 35' rigs + will be on this chassis) - This comes with 5.38 rear gearing and really helps with towing power.

If your looking for Diesel Pushers.....they vary wildly on towing ability. General consensus is the 5.9 ISB powered rigs are underpowered. Gotta be careful with the 275hp-300hp rigs also, despite being "big block" Cummins or Cat, sometimes they are so heavy they struggle towing 7k a bit and gassers can smoke them up hills.
The DP rigs are alot heavier, sometimes that offsets the extra power / torque of the diesel.

Here's our rig

91BQ9XkT5sQanXhj7V4fzYrwruUEsfH-uYm985skirCUapsKo4k0Eq1eiv-nL_uHFElf8xS0JN6m0ue2De-poieMxEHdW6t8IYzwQkmQqLn-W7QQQxog3Bu87umjFQYjx5B4oakJt9adJyHJIcFdjU8Zx0QexYDwV19eA84nz3GbpTp9i8zMxMrhDlwj50UlyT_HI56gBd-cEtq5K8KWWk0mqX0Q6pN_xxLBHaohb-sduBXNw2bR3y40tqcjBZlok9l-sQiugfbzB96U90-mgT_rMu0z2vLWNEa7uDxbOAw3sXEcMpWsszXifalRRgVczIzKzxM-gTeIr306AHqrjJpFNQFUfxNIr9liEwaXTAsfKDok-T-DwYDcxSVZty_kAyueXku3eWStLDsvO4QY0fSmXb9RCCYVq5H3WRbPRDWivYHz7WB3UMmSC1e5ve294pdibZiOlpnzYDXKYk__L5_h1mYEdylR8_KcdRXI83WS8huVyiv_xwDIBKlQZhid4_sxQucvAO93AGX08UeziUzh2ExsYxmBvKhJfiXhUiNVSpATIq1kx8VJURgevNdazlXg57xTBjYGuvm5KmQcB1WZ7mRygnSOhqj33nb_b0-2S9hBDLyKdb2UVsJu4Nh8lLRZoZcTtVXS_QGuv_aPOI0PNNBQ8l_27Sv5Zy2RnrdLR33iVswzL5GpDA00ULC5p-QSXKB1VXcN0MP8KfT8pz032Z6-tAJFskrjwxZNolflp8ZCfs6hx-CGDSNydE1q7ZLqZYOmCShiU_BznEa-rQitRGWWtv5S05VLICeUv_2A1Nib7bGB3hOv-5ga4Cu2Ad5rjERHa8jfdFkeJPtSTP1rgvk2GL8uQeufVD-n0y8qAsBUMoplkiUPMMX03AMudPql-dzoBc-I8H7_U15nXbqxpxWr2XStDuKhxy7KGZWO9w=w1460-h1946-no

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Well......

Sounds to me like you're a Chebby guy!

I still have my 99 F350 I bought when I got my toy hauler. Still runs perfect.

You're right of course, but my truck is Far more usable than a MH could ever be.
Nothing like traveling the country in a covered wagon Mr Ingalls.

I’m sure your on original tires and batteries!

1tonfun

Reaction score
@Badchoices03
@Bigbore500r

THE PITCH

THE REALITY

🤣 Have had both of those kinds of days on the road in the RV

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Well my wife just spent the last few hours converting our trailer from a dusty desert trailer to a clean campground trailer for our non desert trip this weekend...and she said after this season shes done with a toy hauler...so it looks like the decision might be made for me...LOL

240Hallett

Reaction score
0D7F5A74-8E55-48BE-B4D4-8932C7A0FA2F.jpeg

This is a separate garage unit, separated by a glass partition and a slider. If they want to play Tetris, a banshee, and that little quad will fit. There’s a 250 and an 80 along the right side wall. I don’t know what size, it belongs to the kids.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
When I had my Class C, I was always able to break out of camp at butt crack of dawn and my buddies hated me.

But when I got home, I had to unload my trailer and I hated that I couldnt leave my buggy inside with protection of the Toiyhauler.

Like everyone mentions, its a trade off!

Oh and if you have a breakdown, you need both! LOL....my buddy would unhook his truck and I would unhook my trailer to go and retrieve in the middle of desert when needed.
Thats where the flatbed is a burn. Box trailer all the way!
With the box trailer / MH combo, your are covered

I like to pull up, hit the auto-level button and have my wife extend the slides while i step out and crack a beer, admiring the process that is unfolding......
while my buddies with toy haulers jack off their hitch, toss storage bins loaded with shit out of the back of the truck and trailer, and crawl around with an impact gun cranking down jacks on blocks of wood.

Im usually 4 beers deep by the time they get their hauler unpacked. Me....I may not even unload the trailer, its evening....im in party mode.
Motorhome / enclosed options!. The evening is yours to enjoy. Unload the car / bikes in the morning......no worries
And if it's raining......who cares, don't even need to get out of the rig! Just pull up, drop levelers, extend slides and., again - crack a beer.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

If you are buying a truck just for the trailer, that is one thing. If you have a truck at home then those costs are already accounted for. Even if you upgrade trucks.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Motorhome pulling a toy hauler
Ultimate goals!

My buddy does this. 40' DP pulling a 26' front-bath hauler. 17'+ of cargo before cabinets. Kids get the toy hauler.....parents get to rock the Moho like they are on a honeymoon. No cheetoes to be seen in the Moho........

But dumping 2 black tanks.......boooooo

69hondo

Reaction score
Thats where the flatbed is a burn. Box trailer all the way!
With the box trailer / MH combo, your are covered

I like to pull up, hit the auto-level button and have my wife extend the slides while i step out and crack a beer, admiring the process that is unfolding......
while my buddies with toy haulers jack off their hitch, toss storage bins loaded with shit out of the back of the truck and trailer, and crawl around with an impact gun cranking down jacks on blocks of wood.

Im usually 4 beers deep by the time they get their hauler unpacked. Me....I may not even unload the trailer, its evening....im in party mode.
Motorhome / enclosed options!. The evening is yours to enjoy. Unload the car / bikes in the morning......no worries
And if it's raining......who cares, don't even need to get out of the rig! Just pull up, drop levelers, extend slides and., again - crack a beer.
You and me are on the complete same page. I am sitting here laughing because that is exactly how I do it when we get to camp.

spark2678

Reaction score
I thought the same thing when it came to a moho for the added maintenance, insurance, registration etc. But if you are talking large moho to tow all your stuff, you probably have or are thinking a large 5th wheel like I did which required a large truck. In the line of work I'm in, it just did not make sense to drive the beast everywhere and spend the money on fuel bills plus PITA to find parking. So I had (3) vehicles at all times anyways and the diesel F450 sat which is not good for it either.

I'm on my 2nd Moho and now stacker and I would never go back to the toy hauler. So much easier and the cost is either the same or less. Plus, unless you have a garage model TH, you have a place to put your toys while still living when it's windy or rainy.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Nothing like traveling the country in a covered wagon Mr Ingalls.

I’m sure your on original tires and batteries!

So you ARE a Chebby guy! 🤣

Fucking batteries...

In April, I replaced both batteries in my truck, they were less than 3 years old, so, free replacement. Yesterday, I had to get those replacement batteries replaced! Thankfully, for free again.

The good news is, I get a whole new 3 year warranty. The bad news is, Interstate Batteries sure ain't what they used to be!!!

Hopefully these will go bad before the warranty expires, again. :rolleyes::p