WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toy Hauler versus RV

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Anywhere there is sand there is a risk. There is no safe spot to not get stuck.
I've never been stuck.... but had plans delayed.....playing in the sand you should always have a 5 gallon bucket... when you do get stopped,....putting water under the tires will make the sand harder than Chinese arithmetic,... put the jacks up,... fill the holes with the sand,... fill with water and drive out... also,... if you fill the bucket with water and dish soap you can pre wash plates and pans when cooking.... that way your rv will smell nice and not like a garbage dump...

beerrun

Reaction score
Toy hauler...

Registration, batteries, tires. (All cheap)

MH...

Transmission, rear end, shocks, belts, hoses, brakes, water pumps, coolant, thermostat, fuel pump, fuel filter, driveshaft, u-joints, generator maintenance, ball joints, king pins, insurance, Registration, expensive azz tires...

Anymore questions?? 🤣
Chevy 2500 one bad injector 3k😁

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've never been stuck.... but had plans delayed.....playing in the sand you should always have a 5 gallon bucket... when you do get stopped,....putting water under the tires will make the sand harder than Chinese arithmetic,... put the jacks up,... fill the holes with the sand,... fill with water and drive out... also,... if you fill the bucket with water and dish soap you can pre wash plates and pans when cooking.... that way your rv will smell nice and not like a garbage dump...

Outfuckingstanding idea!!! 👍👍

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
So you ARE a Chebby guy! 🤣

Fucking batteries...

In April, I replaced both batteries in my truck, they were less than 3 years old, so, free replacement. Yesterday, I had to get those replacement batteries replaced! Thankfully, for free again.

The good news is, I get a whole new 3 year warranty. The bad news is, Interstate Batteries sure ain't what they used to be!!!

Hopefully these will go bad before the warranty expires, again. :rolleyes::p
Truck is a Chevy but motorhome is a ford! Don’t want to be stranded when camping! lol!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I settled on toy hauler because I use my truck so much when at the campsite. I feel like I use it a lot. Quick trips to the store if you forgot something. Fire roads with the whole family in a nice A/C truck to the bar or hot springs. Using it to move big things between campsites. I tried the motorhome and toad but it wasn't the same. Had to choose between the toad and trailer each time and sometimes you want both. Yes the trailer takes longer to setup/breakdown camp but you just plan for it and it's not too bad.
it's called a choice.... figure out what works best for you...

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Our other issue is we currently have a 6.7 Super Duty....if we go the RV route, we don't need that truck, but we will still need a truck for boating and local riding....so now I have to contemplate do I sell it and get a regular gas F150/Silverado....or just keep it...I feel like its too much truck to just sit around 90% of its life
This was a choice I had to make..... I gave up a very badass cc duelly for a very nice but plain 150 KR.

Damm, I still miss my truck. A lot! but it was the right decision.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Now we just got to get @Big B Hova on board.

id-like-to-join-your-club-alma.gif

gqchris

Reaction score
@Badchoices03
@Bigbore500r

THE PITCH

Your driving down the 40, nestled in a barcalounger. "Honey, do you want something to drink?" Your wife asks from the kitchen, as she's chopping onions for your sizzling omelet. "Sure honey, thanks!" you say. Your wife walks up hands you a frosty beverage, then offers up a back massage from the dinette seat behind you. You my friend, are living the dream! "Dad.....have to pee!" your 3 year old cries from the overhead bunk, where he and his sister are watching DirectTV fed from an auto-seek satellite dish. "No problem honey, let me take you to the bathroom" your wife says. "Mom...i have to poop too!" your daughter chimes in. You bump the cruise control to 82 and enjoy that beverage while your wife wipes your kids asses. A quick check of the rear view reveals sunshine and rainbows, reflecting off the gleaming silhouette of your 30' stacker. The kids walk back up to the front and give you a hug as they plop down in front of the big screen. That omelet smells amazing! You turn around and catch a glimpse of your wifes thong as she bends over in heels to pull the tri tip out of the oven. You're gonna wreck that ass later in your slide out master bedroom, and you deserve it. Auto level jacks keep the rig from rocking while you slay the poon. You are king of the road.....

THE REALITY

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH..........the motor sounds every bit of that 4000 rpm as you creep along at 42mph uphill in 2nd, yanking a 10k enclosed box trailer behind your 5k rated Moho. Silverware, cookie sheets and oven racks crash and clatter as you hit every pothole the slow lane has to offer. "Dont worry, you'll make it to the top, and who's racing anyway? " A semi trailer with flashers on looms in the distance, and your rate of closure is slow but steady. Will you crest the grade before you have to pass? God please dont let me get stuck behind this guy, cause I don't think getting back up to this speed is an option! Your kids scream "are we there yet dad?" No kids.....dont f*cking ask again, its gonna be a while! It's been hours since breakfast. "Honey, can you make me a sandwich?" You ask. "WHAAAAAAAAT?" She screams over the wind noise and monstrous V10 roar. "I SAID....CAN YOU MAKE ME A SANDWICH". She rolls her eyes and unbuckles her seat belt. After smacking her head on the overhead bunk she steps towards the back. WHAM! - She then flies back onto the center console as you slam the brakes for that Uhaul that just blew past and cut you off. Your wife sits back down. Fuck your sandwich. You wipe the spilled soda off that 70's looking CCTV rear view monitor. "Who built the cup holders in this wood center console anyways" you mumble. "Dad...i have to poop!" you son yells. You begrudgingly ask the wife to take them to the bathroom. She slams her phone down and makes her way toward the dinette, only to discover smashed cheetoes and juice everywhere. She grabs the kids and tries to hold on to the children and the countertop while precariously inching toward the bathroom. You had a straight section of road a minute ago, but what bad timing - Here comes a corner - "Hang on honey!" you yell. You turn around just in time to catch a glimpse of your toddlers face being jammed into the stove as your wifes loses balance and smashes her. She frantically grabs to stabilize herself and rips the curtain off the plastic ceiling track. The little roller hooks fly everywhere like skittles. You turn around and keep your mouth shut.
So freakin true! But how in the hell were you able to compose that masterpiece with a 1 week old baby at home! You sir have it figured out. I was a walking zombie with baby at home for at least 2 months!!!

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
So freakin true! But how in the hell were you able to compose that masterpiece with a 1 week old baby at home! You sir have it figured out. I was a walking zombie with baby at home for at least 2 months!!!
That’s not my master piece that’s @Bigbore500r he gets all the credit

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Done both. The answer for me depends on use cases.

For repeat visits to known locations - you just cant beat a Class A motorhome pulling an enclosed trailer. Heading to glamis - slam dunk.

For exploring a variety new locations you cannot beat a 4x4 towing a toy hauler.

j21black

Reaction score
Thats where the flatbed is a burn. Box trailer all the way!
With the box trailer / MH combo, your are covered

I like to pull up, hit the auto-level button and have my wife extend the slides while i step out and crack a beer, admiring the process that is unfolding......
while my buddies with toy haulers jack off their hitch, toss storage bins loaded with shit out of the back of the truck and trailer, and crawl around with an impact gun cranking down jacks on blocks of wood.

Im usually 4 beers deep by the time they get their hauler unpacked. Me....I may not even unload the trailer, its evening....im in party mode.
Motorhome / enclosed options!. The evening is yours to enjoy. Unload the car / bikes in the morning......no worries
And if it's raining......who cares, don't even need to get out of the rig! Just pull up, drop levelers, extend slides and., again - crack a beer.
Eh - I just unhook from the truck and push the autolevel button, then push the slide out button. May or may not have a beer in hand....

Not a huge difference -

I understand the guys saying, I load the trailer the night before and just roll out the next morning - But you still have to load it in a trailer. We can have everything unloaded, and generally pack it all in 30-45 minutes - And in most cases can load it the night before if we so choose - Granted we aren't hauling 3 or 4 toddlers around with us, usually just me the wife and our teenage boy, along with out teenage daughter at times.

I think they both serve a purpose, and I'd love to have a Class A, (one day) but for now racing MX a TH makes more sense for us, and if I want to run to Chick Fila, or to the store for more booze I can do that easily without having to borrow a car of have someone go for me.

The one thing I really like about the motorhome route and towing a trailer is I can lock the dirtbikes up in that trailer at night.

If I charged money for every time someone with a motorhome asked to borrow my truck to go to the store, I could probably get that class A 🤣

450th.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Eh - I just unhook from the truck and push the autolevel button, then push the slide out button. May or may not have a beer in hand....

Not a huge difference -

I understand the guys saying, I load the trailer the night before and just roll out the next morning - But you still have to load it in a trailer. We can have everything unloaded, and generally pack it all in 30-45 minutes - And in most cases can load it the night before if we so choose - Granted we aren't hauling 3 or 4 toddlers around with us, usually just me the wife and our teenage boy, along with out teenage daughter at times.

I think they both serve a purpose, and I'd love to have a Class A, (one day) but for now racing MX a TH makes more sense for us, and if I want to run to Chick Fila, or to the store for more booze I can do that easily without having to borrow a car of have someone go for me.

The one thing I really like about the motorhome route and towing a trailer is I can lock the dirtbikes up in that trailer at night.

If I charged money for every time someone with a motorhome asked to borrow my truck to go to the store, I could probably get that class A 🤣

View attachment 1178305

Thats a bitchen rig for sure. How long is cargo area, unobstructed?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Anywhere there is sand there is a risk. There is no safe spot to not get stuck.
I've been camping at the dunes for 50 yrs and never been stuck... been detained.... but never stuck...@ 17 I lived in pismo, noticed that when the sand is wet,... it gets harder than Chinese arithmetic... so I all ways carry a 5 gallon bucket at the dunes... keep pouring water under the wheels and you can drive out... ive even poured water where the jacks go to keep them from sinking.... you can also take the gray water hose and do the same...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Toy hauler...

Registration, batteries, tires. (All cheap)

MH...

Transmission, rear end, shocks, belts, hoses, brakes, water pumps, coolant, thermostat, fuel pump, fuel filter, driveshaft, u-joints, generator maintenance, ball joints, king pins, insurance, Registration, expensive azz tires...

Anymore questions?? 🤣
LMAO.... are you saying that you have a toy hauler thatcan drive it's self down the road?????

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Believe it or not...

I actually have a full bathroom in my toy hauler! I can even take a shower when I'm done! 🤣

Although...

I have shit in the woods when backpacking. 👍🏼😁
I wanna see the video of you try'n to pull over and running like a wooden legged indian back to the toy hauler and climbing over all the shit in the way while tryn not to shit your self....lol that'll get some views on youtube

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I wanna see the video of you try'n to pull over and running like a wooden legged indian back to the toy hauler and climbing over all the shit in the way while tryn not to shit your self....lol that'll get some views on youtube

Cept I don't have that issue...

My floor plan is such that I can access the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom without having to climb over anything.

Anymore questions?? 😁

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Cept I don't have that issue...

My floor plan is such that I can access the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom without having to climb over anything.

Anymore questions?? 😁
I think what he is saying is you have to get out of the truck and go in the trailer while driving to take a shit. When in a motorhome you don’t have to stop lol

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
13' - It was unobstructed until i dropped a big tool box in it.

View attachment 1178421
I like the enclosed garages, but the length is an issue for sand cars and even the newer Pro-R RZR, etc. plus sand cars are so damn wide. Most toy haulers won’t fit them. There’s a few out there that can handle cars but they are 40’ + 5ers and the cargo area has to be free of slides, flip-down couches, etc to clear the width.

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score
I like the enclosed garages, but the length is an issue for sand cars and even the newer Pro-R RZR, etc. plus sand cars are so damn wide. Most toy haulers won’t fit them. There’s a few out there that can handle cars but they are 40’ + 5ers and the cargo area has to be free of slides, flip-down couches, etc to clear the width.
My slide closes around the front tire of my sandrail. Front end gets strapped up to narrow up the front end.
2017_genesis_supreme_40cr_floorplan.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
There are some really nice toy hauler 5th wheels out there but for me I feel like the living spaces are super cramped. As soon as you walk in the entrance door you are in the kitchen area, trying to squeeze around an island or a huge couch and then staring at a TV that is mounted up high on the wall. Add a few more people sitting on The couch and it becomes even more cramped... I feel lid the manufacturers are trying to cram to much stuff into a really tight space and they are moving away from the apposing slides.

We had a 40' with a 12' garage before we had buggy's and it had apposing slides in the living area with a big kitchen, double fridge, and an Island. If was the perfect lay out and so comfortable when out camping.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I’ll show you useful…..cruising down the 14, my daughter is doing homework at the table, my son is taking a shit and my wife is making my sandwich! Life moves fast in a MH - am I coming or going? Might be doing both, FTW!

Having that ability is defiantly bomb. 👍 Especially if you hit a bump or slam on the brakes while the wife or kid is taking a dump! 😁

daytona man

Reaction score
We have a toyhauler because we like having a vehicle to go other places .

renodaytona

Reaction score
Would love to do a moho and enclosed but the lake we camp at in the summer is a sandy vehicle sinking mess. The truck with the toy hauler works, for now.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My slide closes around the front tire of my sandrail. Front end gets strapped up to narrow up the front end.
View attachment 1178607
That's the hauler my buddy had. One big bitch!
Almost bought it from him back when I had my dually, but it scaled almost 42 1/2 feet from cab to tail (not including the hitch).

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I was searching the marketplace looking at RV's and trailers, and I ran across this....seems very cheap to me? I personally am looking for something a bit newer, but this price seems weird to me?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
We have a toyhauler because we like having a vehicle to go other places .
thats when it's makes all the sense, .. when we go to utah to the dunes we wanna take the rzrs,.. but would like to go into town and drive around... to do that we have to take the mo ho and load every thing up...

69hondo

Reaction score
I was searching the marketplace looking at RV's and trailers, and I ran across this....seems very cheap to me? I personally am looking for something a bit newer, but this price seems weird to me?

My buddy had the same exact coach for years and it was great to him.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score

No slides would be my guess on the price being low. That’s a long couch to have such a small layout.

HotRod82

Reaction score
I agree there is no perfect RV, my wife put it perfectly- buy the rig that covers 80% of what you do and don’t worry about the other20% of the time when you would rather have the “other” setup.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
So on an older motorhome, lets say 2002 - 2006, in that $30k range...what gas engine should I be looking for? Most likely would only be towing a flat bed with a sxs and dirtbikes...POSSIBLY a 21' boat occasionally...

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
If you’re looking at those years I’d get the E450 V10 in 05 or newer. Ours is a 03 and the transmission is stout but the 05 gets upgraded
Another potential problem with our 03 is the E brake is in the drive line and is actually like a small transmission. If it goes bad it’s expensive and hard to get parts for.