WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toyhauler batteries

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Getting ready to change out the batteries in the trailer and was wondering if anyone has tried using lithium batteries? They are considerably more expensive than 6 volt batteries which is what I normally use. Wondering if it's worth it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If one pukes on the road or in a rural area you need to find a replacement. If one commits suicide then another is soon to follow.
6V Interstates or the premium Trojans and don't look back. I run them in our big pig and they are excellent.
Avoid the COSTCO or Sams 6V's. They aint the same snot. Weak as hell.

Premier in LHC rates batteries by how many holes. Trojans 6V: 38 Holes, Non-COSTCO or SAMs Interstates: 20 Holes, Battery Store Interstates 6V: 28 Holes.

Last edited:

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I’m running these in my toyhauler. Stay away from the cheaper options and they just don’t hold up. Just switched my golf cart over to them as well after 5 years on my Trojan batteries.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Mine came with the lithium’s.(2) If I was able to travel like TPC, I’d do 6volts. I’m a weekend trip / 3 night maximum so these do fine. Mine have a lock box on them as they are a hot ticket to steal.

Reactions: TPC

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I have 2200w of solar panels along with 5 Battle Borne lithiums. Considering adding another 5 BB which will bring me up to 1000ah total for storage. It might be a little overkill at times but not when running air. I do have my generator to back it all up.

one advantage is you can run these to zero and they can still charge back to 100%

wasnt cheap but I plan on a lot of off grid spots.

DaveH

Reaction score
lithium has two advantages.....first is weight, the second is voltage stays near charge float voltage until almost completely depleted.

for your application, i wouldn't spend the extra money.

grumpy88

Reaction score
How do lithium batteries hold up in the heat in this type of application ? We know the small batteries dont like heat

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have 2 12v with 200 watt solar panels panel. I never have to run my genset unless using microwave or ac. During the winter that isn’t needed. The heater will kill them if super cold at night to. I’m going to switch to 2 6v when these 12’s are done.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I have 2 12v with 200 watt solar panels panel. I never have to run my genset unless using microwave or ac. During the winter that isn’t needed. The heater will kill them if super cold at night to. I’m going to switch to 2 6v when these 12’s are done.

4 - 6 volts

Universal Elements

Reaction score
If one pukes on the road or in a rural area you need to find a replacement. If one commits suicide then another is soon to follow.
6V Interstates or the premium Trojans and don't look back. I run them in our big pig and they are excellent.

Premier in LHC rates batteries by how many holes. Trojans 6V: 38 Holes, Non-COSTCO or SAMs Interstates: 20 Holes, Battery Store Interstates 6V: 28 Holes.

Very true about the interstate you get at Costco. My start battery on the motorhome was built January 2018. Had to replace it two weeks ago. Totally dead cell in less than three years. Was bought from Costco. Was on a Noco Tender too. I hope the 4 - 6 volt batteries don’t take crap. Bought the same time.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

That's what pissed me off...

Heater runs all night no problem, but then the batteries are too dead to start the generator to make coffee in the morning.

That's a thing of the past with 2 6v's.

Singleton

Reaction score
That's what pissed me off...

Heater runs all night no problem, but then the batteries are too dead to start the generator to make coffee in the morning.

That's a thing of the past with 2 6v's.

i switched from my trailer heater to a Big Buddy propane heater for desert season (ran an extra propane line, and leave roof vent cracked open). on low keeps the trailer warmer and the batteries are full in the morning for the inverter to run the coffee grind and brew coffee pot.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
i switched from my trailer heater to a Big Buddy propane heater for desert season (ran an extra propane line, and leave roof vent cracked open). on low keeps the trailer warmer and the batteries are full in the morning for the inverter to run the coffee grind and brew coffee pot.

Personally I think the Best idea is a little Honda generator, about 100ft away and and electric heater.

But I'm lazy and have enough work to do already setting up camp. 😝

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Personally I think the Best idea is a little Honda generator, about 100ft away and and electric heater.

Yep, I run a Honda 2000. So when it’s super cold and my 12v are dead. I mosey outside (fresh air and hopefully a 2 smoke going off in the distance )and fire up the Honda. If I am lazy and or drunk I leave the Honda running all night. 12 hours one gallon of gas

Singleton

Reaction score

i dislike noise, so only use a gen in the morning for coffee and dinner time.
usually it is the Honda 2000 located away from camp vs the onboard one

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I have the Trojan 6vs in my toyhauler, they are 3-4 years old. We have a single 175w solar panel on the roof. These batteries need to be checked for water level every couple of months in the summer when the solar is on, if you do not have a smart solar charger, which I do not. That is the only downside.
We too have switched to a Big Buddy heater for winter ops, I am a very light sleeper and the damn furnace coming on and off all night wakes me up.
The Buddy with a couple of 1lb propane cylinders on medium will run about 7 hours, on low it will do 8 or 9 hours.
Keeps us quite comfy.
Down the road, after we get our big move behind us I will look at battery options and a higher end charge controller.inverter. We plan to travel south in the winter and I want a better set up. We use an EU2200 for power most of the time, keep the hours down on the Onan.
If I could get the wife to use my dang Cornigware percolator for coffee in the mornings instead of the keuring she insists on I would not have to fire the genny at all in the mornings til breakfast rolls around.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
i dislike noise, so only use a gen in the morning for coffee and dinner time.
usually it is the Honda 2000 located away from camp vs the onboard one

I dislike cold...

Especially when it's below freezing! LoL

2Driver

Reaction score

True, Interstate has 3 quality levels, costco ones are the worse and several pounds lighter. There was a chart on the web somewhere that compares the interstate models.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
How do lithium batteries hold up in the heat in this type of application ? We know the small batteries dont like heat

This is the other thing I was worried about since we do camp at Pirates.

Dr Rob

Reaction score
This is the other thing I was worried about since we do camp at Pirates.
We are 100% off grid. We run Trojan t105 re 6 volt batteries. We got 12 years out of our first set of 12. We now have them in our fifth wheel as well. 10 year warranty and an amazing battery. The re stands for renewable energy. A very different battery from the standard Trojan 6 volt.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
In my experience...rechargeable battery life has more to do with the treatment of the battery than the brand or type.

I’ve never had to hook up a jumper or a charger to start any one of my vehicles...except when the battery has failed and I need to get home to change it. if it needs jumped, it’s getting a new battery. My average lifespan has been 7 years on 12V batteries.
Batteries do not like being over discharged, and need to exercised. Long periods of just sitting there will kill them.
I would call up East Penn (Deka) and get their recommendations on the best product for your needs.

buck35

Reaction score
When we camp in cold weather we always boil a big pot of water before we hit the sack,as it lets off heat for a long time and the furnace runs less. Just a thought....

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Here is a history report I can look at on my Iphone concerning my lithium setup. I jave had them maybe 3 months i think
A32F5E0C-AAD7-415B-8626-F246F73B2657.jpeg