WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toyos new RT-Trail tire

2Driver

Reaction score
Looks pretty nice. Anyone running them yet? I’m looking for tires for the Rubicon.

sintax

Reaction score
Nice, I got a stack of them in the garage waiting to go in this weekend. Glad to hear comments on them being quiet, they look super loud :oops:

Deckin Around

Reaction score
nah
I went through a set of RTs in 25k miles thinking they would last longer because I get 20k out of a set of MTs Before I swap them. It’s not even close to worth it off-road or in the snow compared.

2Driver

Reaction score
nah
I went through a set of RTs in 25k miles thinking they would last longer because I get 20k out of a set of MTs Before I swap them. It’s not even close to worth it off-road or in the snow compared.

These are a new design RT trail. That said the road warranty is 45k vs 65k for the ATs.

Icky

Reaction score
nah
The RTs have a mileage warranty on them

81Sprint

Reaction score
Look very close in tread to the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I have the Nittos on my F350 and they are really nice.

2Driver

Reaction score
So the age old question for a jeep.…. C or E rated for street/off-road?

I’m not convinced the E is really that much more puncture resistant. I usually run them but they are a bit harsh for jeeps.

alohajeff

Reaction score
I had the Nitto version of this tire and hated it. I pulled them off mid-winter with more than 50% tread remaining and hauled them up to the dump. I've moved around the tire spectrum from M/T more toward A/T for my daily drivers and of all the tires I've run in the last decade that Nitto Trail Grappler was by far, exceedingly far, the worst tire I've ever purchased. If the Toyo version is similar I'd find something else.

Aloha

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Look very close in tread to the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I have the Nittos on my F350 and they are really nice.
That would make sense. Nittos are the sister company to Toyo.

Doesn’t mean the Toyos would be any better, they could in fact be the exact same tire other than the different name on the sidewall.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Same. 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on our 2500 and 35" on our Rubicon. We've been really happy with them.

Watching this thread for more info on the Toyos, as we are likely due to replace the truck tires pretty soon (55K+ miles so far)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I had the Nitto version of this tire and hated it. I pulled them off mid-winter with more than 50% tread remaining and hauled them up to the dump. I've moved around the tire spectrum from M/T more toward A/T for my daily drivers and of all the tires I've run in the last decade that Nitto Trail Grappler was by far, exceedingly far, the worst tire I've ever purchased. If the Toyo version is similar I'd find something else.

Aloha
The Nitto Grail Grapplers are practically a Mud Terrain, not much "trail" about them. Had a set on our Jeep, loud as shit!

hman442

Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but today I was looking online at tires. The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T caught my eye. I guess they are owned by/made by Cooper, in the USA. Has anyone ran these tires ? I like enough tread that I'm not helpless when we get our two feet of snow every other year, but don't want the things over powering the stereo sound wise.

Icky

Reaction score
you ever try to claim a “mileage warranty” on a tire? 😆. I feel the same way about BFG all-terrain‘s. I’ll stick with the mt’s.
Nope, I usually sell them every 3 years and buy new ones

ridebig

Reaction score
I’ve had several sets of the Toyo RT’s and got 55k miles out of them. Getting ready to shoe my new Ram 3500 and my guy can’t get the RT’s currently so I’m going with the new Nitto recon grappler. Hope I like them.
6213D381-8D43-4965-A135-B2FB7BA88B94.jpeg
68B820FD-9FF9-4AF1-BE7B-D37F04E1244A.jpeg

2Driver

Reaction score
Same. 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on our 2500 and 35" on our Rubicon. We've been really happy with them.

Watching this thread for more info on the Toyos, as we are likely due to replace the truck tires pretty soon (55K+ miles so far)

I had Toyo MTs on my Jeep and Toyo AT3s on the Gladiator. Both were great and I got tired of the balance issues with BFGs.

Both were E rated and a little stiff. I may go C rated this time and see if it makes a difference for puncture.

The MTs were pretty quiet until about 25k miles, then you could hear them and they did start to chunk out pretty bad. The ATs were good, but I only put 14k miles on them before I got rid of the Gladiator.

Both were subject to some nasty rock trails no flats.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
I had toyo RTs on my F150 for 1 week.
They don't mix well with 1/2 ton trucks.
Went to a AT3

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
The rt on my duramax has been the best tire I have run on that truck. It's quiet and I got the best mileage I have of any others. I have been very happy. I've had the MTs, Terra grapplers, Falken peak. I think that's about it. I wanted the Toyo AT3 but they were brand new at the time. I couldn't get my hands on any.

81Sprint

Reaction score

I’m not convinced the E is really that much more puncture resistant. I usually run them but they are a bit harsh for jeeps.
I would stick with a C rated tire, Jeeps aren't heavy enough to warrant an E rated tire and the ride will be harsher

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I had the old style. Got stuck in snow. Wasn’t impressed. I’ve ran a mix of at and mt after with better results.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

I did. It like the E rated on my Jeep. Rode really stiff. When airing down you get very little sidewall flex.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I would stick with a C rated tire, Jeeps aren't heavy enough to warrant an E rated tire and the ride will be harsher
My wife's JKU has 20" wheels (I know.....I know.....) so were stuck with E rated. Everything is E rated in the size it runs - 35x12.5x20
I want to put 17's on it and reduce the offset and run C range tires but she loves her damn wheels

81Sprint

Reaction score
My wife's JKU has 20" wheels (I know.....I know.....) so were stuck with E rated. Everything is E rated in the size it runs - 35x12.5x20
I want to put 17's on it and reduce the offset and run C range tires but she loves her damn wheels
My wife wanted 20's when we got the 392. Ummmm no. She got 17's but hey I let her pick them out, at least that's what she thinks.

2Driver

Reaction score
Got to Rant ……Man has Discount Tire lost its way.

I found the new RT Trails in stock and told the guy I want to stop by and just see them.

He has the tire upfront when I get there and I ask the guy is it C or E rated. He says, “oh well, ALL tires this size are E rated, this tire would never be a C rated tire”. I said well thats not true most of these tires come in C or E. He says well most all, like this one, are E.

I look at the tire and said, this one is marked C rated, and just like the previous conversation never took place, he pushes down on the tire and says, oh yes it’s C rated it’s easy to tell by the sidewall flex.

WTF? This place used to be tire guys giving solid technical advice. This guy knew nothing about tires and was probably selling dinettes at the stool and dinette factory last week.

I'd Groper

Reaction score
I ran a set of 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on my F-250 and got 60k out of them, they very noisy towards the end and sucked for off roading, the treads would just load up in the mud and spin, in the snow wasn't bad though.
Now I have a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 285/75-17 (all that was available at the time) with 35k on them and their doing ok maybe another 15k, the traction is, I did slide around a bit in Co. during a snow storm :oops: but I'll probably go with the TOYO's AT3's next time around.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
nah
20-25k what the!! What do you drive a Chevy? Or do donuts leaving every job. Lol
That is trash mileage for either of those tires. Toyo MT and RT I averaged 50k+ on either with maybe 1 or 2 at best tire rotation over their life. AT3 I avg 45k at best

Only truck Iv owned that ate up tires like that was a chevy with 14in bulletproof lift running 40s. Had to rotate at every oil change and got maybe 25-30k.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Toyo AT3's are the best tires I've ever owned. 30k on them and they still look brand new. Rotate at every oil change.
Have these on my 3500...big fan. Anderson in Havasu beat out 2 other "major" dealers by a landslide on pricing... To the point that I got 4 new tires, m&b, and 2 new batteries cheaper than the lowest quote on the tire...

Had them put on then pretty much went straight to Washington for a big road trip with a ton of snow and a loaded down truck. They are EPIC.