WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toyota 2JZ

Enen

Reaction score
My son turned 16 this past December. We picked him up a 1990 Toyota Supra. Fun little car, has a turbo motor in it. The current engine is a 7m GTE.

The next generation Supra had an engine designated the 2JZ. This is the darling of import tuners. People are getting some big power out of these engines with fairly light modifications.

We think the timing belt on the 7m skipped a tooth, and the engine quit running. Looking to swap in a 2JZ gte. Anyone here have any experience with these engines?

IMG_0003.jpg

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Be a cool project...always liked that generation Supra and there are more and more 2jz swaps out there.

From what I have read you either leave it alone or if looking for more power you trash the twins for a bigger single.

Should be fun[emoji41]

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
The 2jz is a great engine. My IS300 had one in it. You can get a pretty good deal on a 2jzgte online. You won't be disappointed. Power for days.

Enen

Reaction score
Be a cool project...always liked that generation Supra and there are more and more 2jz swaps out there.

From what I have read you either leave it alone or if looking for more power you trash the twins for a bigger single.

Should be fun[emoji41]

In the planning stages right now, but a single turbo is on the list.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
A 1jz will be a bit simpler swap as they came in that car originally, although not in America.

Be prepared to be nickled and dimed to death :)

Also the v160 transmissions are oppressively expensive. If you are going to turbo it with a big single, you'll need a better trans.

Enen

Reaction score
The 2jz is a great engine. My IS300 had one in it. You can get a pretty good deal on a 2jzgte online. You won't be disappointed. Power for days.

Found a complete engine from JDM for about $1500. Looking at swapping a Nissan Z33 6 speed manual transmission into the car as well. It is kinda cool to find a project that that is reasonably priced

Enen

Reaction score
A 1jz will be a bit simpler swap as they came in that car originally.

Be prepared to be nickled and dined to death :)

Thanks for the reply. What kind of little things should I be aware of? Trying to avoid a snowball.

Outside of a smaller displacement in the 1jz, what would be different?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Found a complete engine from JDM for about $1500. Looking at swapping a Nissan Z33 6 speed manual transmission into the car as well. It is kinda cool to find a Paine that that is reasonably priced

Ok cool. I believe the R154 5 speed Toyota box will work as well but those are a couple grand typically.

Enen

Reaction score
Ok cool. I believe the R154 5 speed Toyota box will work as well but those are a couple grand typically.

We are looking to make 550-600whp. Currently have the Toyota 5 speed, and was told it won't hold this power. The V-160 6 speed from the MK4 Supra is crazy expensive. There are guys making swap kits for the T-56 and the Nissan 350Z/370Z 6 speed. It seems like the Nissan trans is less money than the T-56.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What kind of little things should I be aware of? Trying to avoid a snowball.

Outside of a smaller displacement in the 1jz, what would be different?

I'm not a Toyota swap expert, but I've been around a couple of them. This is just general advice before you jump into swapping an engine that was never available in your car.

Guys have swapped 2jzs into that car, so it can be done, but do your research first. If you have to start swapping oil pans, accessories, modifying intakes and exhausts to make them fit, buying a complete 2jz could be a waste. Also be aware of wiring considerations and OBD1 vs OBD2 changes depending on the engine you get. If you plan to run a factory ECU or a standalone just have an idea of what might need to be done going in.

With a 1jz everything exists to put it in the car for the most part, because it was made with that engine. The 2jz is regarded as the better engine, but a 1jz can still make plenty of power.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We are looking to make 550-600whp. Currently have the Toyota 5 speed, and was told it won't hold this power. The V-160 6 speed from the MK4 Supra is crazy expensive. There are guys making swap kits for the T-56 and the Nissan 350Z/370Z 6 speed. It seems like the Nissan trans is less money than the T-56.

Yea you are on the right track. The cd009 Nissan trans is the one they are using for that conversion. Guys have started using those instead of t56s, but the gearing sucks for a car making that kind of power. You'll want a taller rear gear if you can get one or already have in the car.

For an LS V8 you need a 2.73 rear gear with the Nissan cd009 trans, to get you near the gearing of a 3.73 with a T56.

Here is the speeds by gear. This is for an LS with a mild redline, you'll have a higher redline, but this gives you an idea.

IMG_4283.jpg

Enen

Reaction score
I'm not a Toyota swap expert, but I've been around a couple of them. This is just general advice before you jump into swapping an engine that was never available in your car.

Guys have swapped 2jzs into that car, so it can be done, but do your research first. If you have to start swapping oil pans, accessories, modifying intakes and exhausts to make them fit, buying a complete 2jz could be a waste. Also be aware of wiring considerations and OBD1 vs OBD2 changes depending on the engine you get. If you plan to run a factory ECU or a standalone just have an idea of what might need to be done going in.

With a 1jz everything exists to put it in the car for the most part, because it was made with that engine. The 2jz is regarded as the better engine, but a 1jz can still make plenty of power.

Thanks for the advice. We are just putting these ideas on paper at the moment.

Thinking we'd like to run the AEM Infinify ECU. Found a company called Tweak'd Performance that will make the complete wire harness to fit into the car. www.tweakdperformance.com

Thinking we want to build with future power upgrades in mind.

Do you have any experience with Brian Crower parts?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It has been about 15 years since I was into the import racing stuff that deep but Crower stuff was always very good.

The AEM Infinity is really nice. By the way this is sounding you are going to replace everything under the car by the time you are done... so this is going to snowball :)

Just a word of caution.. one of these cars with 500-600 WHP is like a modern car with 1000 hp. It is going to command a lot of respect. It's easy to get it wrong and wad them with no driving aids at all. My 2500 lb Mazda with 400 WHP is rediculous and will beat most anything I come across, but there is no traction control, no ABS, no stability control, no power steering, and if I go through anything more than a light mist the car will hydroplane on the 100 tread wear tires.

I'm not saying this to be a dick but nearly everyone that builds a street car with that power to weight is scared to drive it. I say that because you can very easily overbuild the car and end up with $50k+ of garage art because you cant enjoy the car because it is not fun to drive. You just have to make too many compromises to make a car with that kind of power that won't break all the time.

Now that same car with 300-400 horsepower will be a riot.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
You want to give your kid a car with 500-600 hp as his first car? That much horsepower in the hands of an inexperienced driver and you'll have a car that in a very short period of time that looks like a Mustang GT that just left a Coffee And Cars meet. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like a recipe for disaster, you know, power corrupts and all.

Enen

Reaction score
You want to give your kid a car with 500-600 hp as his first car? That much horsepower in the hands of an inexperienced driver and you'll have a car that in a very short period of time that looks like a Mustang GT that just left a Coffee And Cars meet. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like a recipe for disaster, you know, power corrupts and all.

The car was at 350whp when he learned to drive it. The cool thing about the AEM ecu is we can load different tune maps. I can set it so that its 350 whp when he drives it, and 550-600 when I take it out. That was the idea. Certainly don't want to hand the kid an uncorked missile.

Enen

Reaction score
Give the kid an LS! :D

Lol. LS swaps are the best. I'm not sure someone has done one into a MK3 Supra yet. Believe it or not the 2JZ GTE costs less than an LS1.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lol. LS swaps are the best. I'm not sure someone has done one into a MK3 Supra yet. Believe it or not the 2JZ GTE costs less than an LS1.

I think there have been a couple LS swaps into those. MKIII Supra swaps are fairly rare as you probably have noticed.

If you want to swap a V8 into an RX7.. that is down to a perfected formula now.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
The MK2 supra is a great highway cruiser, but a pig of a performance car. It weighs more than a 1/2 ton chevy truck. The 7MG-TE is a non-interference motor. In the process of resetting the timing, pull the cams, loosen each head bolt 1 turn and retorque to 80lb.ft. Put it back together and run it how it is. A 16yo doesn't need a 600hp Supra.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The car was at 350whp when he learned to drive it. The cool thing about the AEM ecu is we can load different tune maps. I can set it so that its 350 whp when he drives it, and 550-600 when I take it out. That was the idea. Certainly don't want to hand the kid an uncorked missile.

There you go.

Enen

Reaction score
The MK2 supra is a great highway cruiser, but a pig of a performance car. It weighs more than a 1/2 ton chevy truck. The 7MG-TE is a non-interference motor. In the process of resetting the timing, pull the cams, loosen each head bolt 1 turn and retorque to 80lb.ft. Put it back together and run it how it is. A 16yo doesn't need a 600hp Supra.

I think the car weighs 3600 lbs. It is on the heavier side for an import car. What do you mean by non-interferance motor?

I completely agree that a 16 yr old doesn't need a 600hp car. His old man on the other hand, likes to have fun. :D

Was considering the AEM so we could run multiple maps. A low boost map for him that keeps the car at the 350-375 whp setting, and a more spirited tune for when I decide to drive the car.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think the car weighs 3600 lbs. It is on the heavier side for an import car. What do you mean by non-interferance motor?

I completely agree that a 16 yr old doesn't need a 600hp car. His old man on the other hand, likes to have fun. :D

Was considering the AEM so we could run multiple maps. A low boost map for him that keeps the car at the 350-375 whp setting, and a more spirited tune for when I decide to drive the car.

He means that even if the belt skipped a tooth, the pistons can't hit the valves and destroy the motor. So if you reset the cams, torque the heads and replace the timing belt, it will likely fire up and run fine.

Enen

Reaction score
He means that even if the belt skipped a tooth, the pistons can't hit the valves and destroy the motor. So if you reset the cams, torque the heads and replace the timing belt, it will likely fire up and run fine.

Towing it to UMS Tuning in Mesa next week to diagnose the engine. I hope its a simple fix.

lbhsbz

Reaction score

The valves won't hit the pistons, and it'll still start and run pretty OK with a cam 1 tooth out. I've owned 3. I've also rebuilt about 50 at the dealer. If the block deck is good, the headgaskets won't leak every 60K miles if you up the torque from the factory spec of 58ft/lbs to 80...based on my experience. Stock bolts seem to hold 80ft.lbs fine. Its not if, but when...so if it's not blown now, increase the torque and improve your chances.

If it won't start...either the belt broke, something else broke and caused the belt to jump more than a tooth, or something else is wrong. You don't "think" the belt jumped...you check it and know. If you're the kind of guy that guesses at problems, I'm gonna make the call that a turbo car running aftermarket engine management ain't for you. Fix the car...don't modify the problems away.

I had plenty of fun with mine bone stock, in good tune, within reasonable limits. 375whp in that car is about flat out stupid.

They are the best looking supra I think, with an awesome cockpit, and they're great cannonball run cars....but my opinions of it as a performance platform are shared by this website..

https://speedhero.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/10-reason-mk3-supras-are-garbage/

Invest your money elsewhere...by the time you're done making a Mk3 600hp, you could have yourself a nice C5 vette that does everything better and improves the chances of your kid getting laid exponentially.

Enen

Reaction score
The valves won't hit the pistons, and it'll still start and run pretty OK with a cam 1 tooth out. I've owned 3. I've also rebuilt about 50 at the dealer. If the block deck is good, the headgaskets won't leak every 60K miles if you up the torque from the factory spec of 58ft/lbs to 80...based on my experience. Stock bolts seem to hold 80ft.lbs fine. Its not if, but when...so if it's not blown now, increase the torque and improve your chances.

If it won't start...either the belt broke, something else broke and caused the belt to jump more than a tooth, or something else is wrong. You don't "think" the belt jumped...you check it and know. If you're the kind of guy that guesses at problems, I'm gonna make the call that a turbo car running aftermarket engine management ain't for you. Fix the car...don't modify the problems away.

I had plenty of fun with mine bone stock, in good tune, within reasonable limits. 375whp in that car is about flat out stupid.

They are the best looking supra I think, with an awesome cockpit, and they're great cannonball run cars....but my opinions of it as a performance platform are shared by this website..

https://speedhero.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/10-reason-mk3-supras-are-garbage/

Invest your money elsewhere...by the time you're done making a Mk3 600hp, you could have yourself a nice C5 vette that does everything better and improves the chances of your kid getting laid exponentially.

Lol- chances of my kid getting laid. I literally laughed out loud.

As far as the actual cause of the non start, I don't have the time or the space to tear into it. It's going to a shop that can handle it.

I read that article before. He made a few points I agree with, and a few that I see differently. I appreciate your input, seems like you've got plenty of experience with these cars. [emoji106]

sirbob

Reaction score
There is a guy in the Reno area that has an engine shop called Exotic Engine (old friend).

Back in the day he worked for Toyota and was the engine builder for the GTP races cars.

In the early 90s he had a Supra with a motor from the GTP car that was his daily driver.

I'm pretty sure he can source / build / convert what ever you need on the Supra

His name is Kevin if you call the shop (his shop)

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
As far as the actual cause of the non start, I don't have the time or the space to tear into it. It's going to a shop that can handle it.
[emoji106]

You'd better make time and clear some space, because you guys will be getting very familiar with chasing issues LOL

Great car though.
I wouldn't do the swap unless it was an extra car, not a DD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I thought you guys were building it together as a father son project. If you don't have the time or knowledge to wrench on it at home I thinks it's going to cost you 3x (labor is going to kill you)what you expect and 4x as long to get it running.(think Schiada because you won't be able to stop the snowball [emoji41][emoji41])

300 and 600 wheel are very different and the parts list and expense is going to be vast...no even sure how a car built for 600 would drive on a 350 tune but I bet it would suck do to injector/turbo size.

If you have the cash and don't care about resale value go for it. Like mentioned I hope this is an extra car and the kid already has a daily driver.

I say you buy him a clean 370z and stop fucking around with old Supras and buy your gtr!![emoji41]

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Im glad to see the thread turned to throttling it back. My kid has a friend with a single turbo 2jz. (ive got his old turbos if you know anyone lol!) the car is stupid. Its like driving an RC car.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Hmmm I seem to have heard all of this before...lol

You should join Supra Forums. They have literally done everything to one of these cars that can be done.

I personally know several guys that are running the 154 trans with no issues on 5-600hp cars. Biggest issue with these trans was the 2nd gear synchro going out. Run redline in it and it will fix the issue 670%of the time. Also get rid of the heavy 2 piece driveshaft. Pick up a 1 piece aluminum one.
Also most of the Supras I have owned have had brake issues. I ended up replacing all of the soft lines with SS lines and that fixed it. The brake lines were coming apart internally causing the brakes to drag.
As someone suggested retorque the head bolts to 80 foot pounds and if the HG isn't leaking already you should be good.
The stock rods are good for right around 500hp. Anything higher and you really need to do the bottom end.
For us broke folk we used to throw 550 injectors in and throw on a AFM from a v8 lexus and turn up the boost. Shim the wastegate and bam she would roast the tires.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I say go for it:D:champagne::eek

[video=youtube;COVjDIz30K8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COVjDIz30K8[/video]

[video=youtube;XePY8hKuhCU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePY8hKuhCU[/video]

Enen

Reaction score
I say go for it:D:champagne::eek

I saw the video of that white one. Insane :eek Really cool video of that other car. 876 is a bit more than we want to go. 550-600 is attainable on a stock engine, with a single turbo swap, fuel system and tuning.

The father/son project will entail getting the 2JZ and building it. Found a local machine shop to do all block and head work.

Getting the current 7M running again is another issue. Planning to take it to a shop for that. If we execute on this swap we will keep the 7M/ trans to swap back into the car when we decide to sell it.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Hmmm I seem to have heard all of this before...lol

You should join Supra Forums. They have literally done everything to one of these cars that can be done.

I personally know several guys that are running the 154 trans with no issues on 5-600hp cars. Biggest issue with these trans was the 2nd gear synchro going out. Run redline in it and it will fix the issue 670%of the time. Also get rid of the heavy 2 piece driveshaft. Pick up a 1 piece aluminum one.
Also most of the Supras I have owned have had brake issues. I ended up replacing all of the soft lines with SS lines and that fixed it. The brake lines were coming apart internally causing the brakes to drag.
As someone suggested retorque the head bolts to 80 foot pounds and if the HG isn't leaking already you should be good.
The stock rods are good for right around 500hp. Anything higher and you really need to do the bottom end.
For us broke folk we used to throw 550 injectors in and throw on a AFM from a v8 lexus and turn up the boost. Shim the wastegate and bam she would roast the tires.

I'm gonna start running redline in everything!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
In proper tune, the 2JZ should lay down some respective times. :eek

[video=youtube;POOO2sFr_4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POOO2sFr_4w[/video]

parker ed

Reaction score
How to build a baller 2JZ, start here. :thumbsup

2jz%20billet%20block_zpsljjcn7hn.jpg

Enen

Reaction score
In proper tune, the 2JZ should lay down some respective times. :eek

[video=youtube;POOO2sFr_4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POOO2sFr_4w[/video]

Those guys at EKanoo don't mess around. They've got some fast cars!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I know its a MKIV, but this is my favorite Supra video.

[video=youtube_https;rmNy-ajRV0U]https://youtu.be/rmNy-ajRV0U[/video]

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Not sure how I missed this thread. I've owned 3 of these. Bought my first turbo 3 months after I graduated high school.1988 It was a blue targa top and damn I had some good times in that car. I have a video of me and the car.... I'll try and break out the VCR and post it later. In the video I run it up to 140 with a beer in my lap. lol

traquer

Reaction score
This thread makes me all warm and fuzzy, I need to build a car again damn!!

One of my buddies turboed his warrantied Lexus IS300 back in the day which basically had a detuned 2JZ engine. He put out around 475 if I remember correctly. I'm sure it was only around 400 after accounting for his bench racing but it was quick! He put it back to stock after a year and sold the car. Guy who bought it probably never even knew, thing was bulletproof!!

My last street tuner car was in college, a 4g63t AWD Eclipse I built myself and had RoadRace help when I got stuck. My best bud I knew from 2nd grade had a right hand drive 240 with the SR20 engine. Baller and he always had more money than me and always had faster cars. Except on the launches with my Eclispse :p He got state-reffed and ended up selling the 240 though.

Here is some of my funky car collection. Need to dig up more photos My dodge colt was the best of them all but no pic right now damn that thing was crazy

car6.jpg car5.jpg car1.jpg car4.jpg