WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Traeger Portable Grill PTG - Pellet hopper caught fire...

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I've had my PTG for about 2 years, maybe a little longer. Always enjoyed it when we camped. This past weekend we were at Ocotillo for TDS. Cooked a burger Sat night and when I went to use it Sunday this is what I found. I've always noticed smoke back drafting in to the pellet hopper but never thought much of it. This weekend was super windy out there and I suspect the "shut down" fan was overpowered by the wind blowing the flame from the burning pellets back up through the auger.

None the less, I'm pretty disappointed that this happened and wanted to give a word to the wise for anyone else that may have one.

IMG_5004.jpg

IMG_5001.jpg

IMG_5001.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5002.jpg
    IMG_5002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 422

Meaney77

Reaction score
That sux. I have had a few issues with my Junior where the pellets keep flowing outside of the fire box and into the bottom of the grill and eventually catch on fire. The grill gets super hot obviously and then makes whatever you are preparing look like garbage. I looked online and it seems like a fairly common and known problem. The instruction sticker on the hopper door tells you what to do if it happens. It kinda sux especially on those long cooks for briskets or ribs or pork you are always worried about it in the back of your mind.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Thanks. I have one and have only used it twice. Maybe need to sell it. :)

GET SOME

Reaction score
Sucks chip.. I have had some bomb ass pulled pork from that bad boy

77charger

Reaction score
Why i prefer charcoal in a stand up smoker.Was windy at glamis one trip and still did a nice job cooking a pork roast.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
Why i prefer charcoal in a stand up smoker.Was windy at glamis one trip and still did a nice job cooking a pork roast.

I was thinking about going with a small green egg but I didn't want spend the money since I already had the Traeger. I contacted Traeger and will see what their response is before I make a decision as to what I want to do.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
That sux. I have had a few issues with my Junior where the pellets keep flowing outside of the fire box and into the bottom of the grill and eventually catch on fire. The grill gets super hot obviously and then makes whatever you are preparing look like garbage. I looked online and it seems like a fairly common and known problem. The instruction sticker on the hopper door tells you what to do if it happens. It kinda sux especially on those long cooks for briskets or ribs or pork you are always worried about it in the back of your mind.

Have you adjusted the P settings? It sounds like you need to run a lower P setting which will reduce the amount of pellets it's pushing into the hopper. I have a Junior and Lil Tex Elite and have not had issues with either grill.

Trash

Reaction score
I believe your situation is compounded by the short throw (auger length) of that model and the winds. Although I believe this situation is rare the work around would be to clear the hopper temporarily and run the unit on high to clear the auger tube of pellets.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Have you adjusted the P settings? It sounds like you need to run a lower P setting which will reduce the amount of pellets it's pushing into the hopper. I have a Junior and Lil Tex Elite and have not had issues with either grill.

Didn't know you could adjust a size? I have only used Traeger and Q pellets and its happened with both. I am also good about cleaning the unit after a few uses, I clean the fire pot and vacuum out the ashes.

77charger

Reaction score
I was thinking about going with a small green egg but I didn't want spend the money since I already had the Traeger. I contacted Traeger and will see what their response is before I make a decision as to what I want to do.

I got tired of propane bbq blowing out easily in the desert if the wind kicked up.Not sold on the traegers since i dont wan to run the gen just to keep it on while in the deserts too.

I know they make the cooking easier for sure as charcoal can be quite a bit of work for a smoker til you get them figured out with amount to use and so on.But thats abad deal for sure on the traeger especially if its near something flammable that could lead to a bigger fire and damage to property.

TOBTEK

Reaction score

F I L has a med green egg. It's amazing! Everything tastes better on that thing. Will have one as well someday. If you get one, I'm sure you'll be pleased with it as well.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
77charger said:
Not sold on the traegers since i dont wan to run the gen just to keep it on while in the deserts too.
You can use one of those cheap inverters that come with alligator clips to connect to your batteries and run it. I've run mine off the trailers inverter because I didn't want to run the genny.

But thats abad deal for sure on the traeger especially if its near something flammable that could lead to a bigger fire and damage to property.

You mean like sitting on a plastic folding table butted up to the side of a toy hauler... My thought exactly. I'm glad the fire was contained to the unit. Right after I ate my burger we went to the raffle at TDS, it would have been a bitch to come back to all my stuff burned up.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Our lil tex elite did that once, but I caught it before any damage.

It was from 2 things.
The wind that day and restarting it after only being off for about 10 minutes.

I cleaned out the auger and restarted it and it was fine.
But I always look at it now after shutdown just to avoid any surprises.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I called Traeger yesterday and explained my situation. They asked me to send them some pictures so I did. Today I received an email that they are sending me a new grill with a prepaid label to send the damaged one back. I love my Traegers and they have now earned a customer for life.

Kudos to a company that stands behind their products. It seems most business models would be to tell the customer to buy a new one, or a new one at a discounted price. Very satisfied with their response. :thumbup::thumbup:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I called Traeger yesterday and explained my situation. They asked me to send them some pictures so I did. Today I received an email that they are sending me a new grill with a prepaid label to send the damaged one back. I love my Traegers and they have now earned a customer for life.

Kudos to a company that stands behind their products. It seems most business models would be to tell the customer to buy a new one, or a new one at a discounted price. Very satisfied with their response. :thumbup::thumbup:

Awesome to hear!!!

Going to reference this thread if anything ever happens to my Green Mountain.

Heylam

Reaction score
Awesome, now you have a second chance to burn all your shit down! [emoji4]