WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Traffic Ticket in Limbo......

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Got a ticket back in July. I had looked it up online shortly after by citation number and filed an extension till November. At that time, I could only find it by citation number, it would not come up with a name / DL # search. Other than the original ticket, never received anything further - no courtesy notice, nothing.

Well, now that we have moved - have no idea where the ticket is and have no way of getting the citation number. Called the court clerk and they can't find it. Call LAPD traffic division, they cant find it. LAPD confirmed nothing comes up on my DL, but recommended that I check back weekly / monthly to see if anything shows. He said "it may be your lucky day" and it may never show up.

Not crazy about having to call and check status of my DL all the time, and keep record of my calls to the court or LAPD to show due diligence in handling the matter.

Tried to call CA DMV but after 3 hours on hold, hung up!

Anyone have this happen?

LazyLavey

Reaction score
It happens..... It still takes humans to input info into a computer

happen to a friend, he checked back almost weekly for a year and nothing became of it

Maybe it fell between the file cabinets....lol

As you said..... Keep your records..

95Enforcer

Reaction score
It does happen. Tickets get lost. I was working boats in Parker one holiday weekend and wrote a few tickets. Heading back in to rockhouse my ticket book fell and the wind caught the tickets. They blew out of the boat never to be seen again. A few people got lucky that day lol. Ive also had tickets never transmit to the courts from my e ticket machine. Things happen and I would say by now you got lucky. If its not there by your court date then its most likely gone.

Nordie

Reaction score
This happened to my mom, she actually paid the ticket. Like 6 months later she got pulled over again, and was told she had a warrant for an unpaid ticket. Luckily she had the ticket and receipt in her center console. After she told me that I always told myself to have proof in my vehicle for any moving violations that I paid.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Got a ticket back in July. I had looked it up online shortly after by citation number and filed an extension till November. At that time, I could only find it by citation number, it would not come up with a name / DL # search. Other than the original ticket, never received anything further - no courtesy notice, nothing.

Well, now that we have moved - have no idea where the ticket is and have no way of getting the citation number. Called the court clerk and they can't find it. Call LAPD traffic division, they cant find it. LAPD confirmed nothing comes up on my DL, but recommended that I check back weekly / monthly to see if anything shows. He said "it may be your lucky day" and it may never show up.

Not crazy about having to call and check status of my DL all the time, and keep record of my calls to the court or LAPD to show due diligence in handling the matter.

Tried to call CA DMV but after 3 hours on hold, hung up!

Anyone have this happen?

Oh I've got lots of horror stories regarding the DMV. Every thing from spending ten days in jail because they never recorded that several moving violations had been paid to needing to get a Class 1 due to a towing out of class ticket. Not to mention having to pay ten years back reg. on a car that I bought because when I had it towed to my house I didn't use the right kind of tow truck. All very interesting stories that I can share sometime when I have more time.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
It does happen. Tickets get lost. I was working boats in Parker one holiday weekend and wrote a few tickets. Heading back in to rockhouse my ticket book fell and the wind caught the tickets. They blew out of the boat never to be seen again. A few people got lucky that day lol. Ive also had tickets never transmit to the courts from my e ticket machine. Things happen and I would say by now you got lucky. If its not there by your court date then its most likely gone.
The sketchy thing is that it comes up if you input the citation number. For some reason it just isn't linked to my DL i guess, maybe it got entered wrong?

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
This happened to my mom, she actually paid the ticket. Like 6 months later she got pulled over again, and was told she had a warrant for an unpaid ticket. Luckily she had the ticket and receipt in her center console. After she told me that I always told myself to have proof in my vehicle for any moving violations that I paid.
Yes always keep records with you otherwise you will go to jail, make a court appearance to explain to the judge who will then let you go to the court records clerk and get a copy of the court abstract before you get let go.

95Enforcer

Reaction score
The sketchy thing is that it comes up if you input the citation number. For some reason it just isn't linked to my DL i guess, maybe it got entered wrong?

Oh ya it sounds like a clerk may have mistyped the info inputting the it. I know the courts are a pain but might be worth it to go in and get it handled in person. Dont want to get blindsided down the road with a warrant that can ruin your weekend or your DL status.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
This happened to me in college. Got a ticket (exhibition of speed) and my father went in to traffic court on the day I was supposed to go. They had no record of it so he went home.

A month or so later I was at work and my mom called me and told me not to get pulled over when driving home. The PD had just served a failure to appear warrant at the house while I wasn't there. The PD told them to just have me to go into the courthouse on Monday and figure it out.

Turns out that my dad went to traffic court and the ticket was a misdemeanor and on a different floor. Oops.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I got a big speeding ticket when I was 20 driving to football practice. I never got anything in the mail. I had to check the chp website for 2 years to make sure I didn’t miss something. I guess the cop Lost the ticket or didn’t file it.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
The issuing department has 365 days to file. After that, you are free. Go on the site and check it weekly. Happened to me. Kept going to the courts and on the fourth month the clerk told me to just go on the site and check.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust shit with all the covid bullshit. My son has been battling with this shit....never received notices....trying to get answers from the court is useless sometimes. Trying to get a court date to see a judge, etc. And then trying to get to the DMV to clear shit up. His license was on hold or suspended or whatever and didn't even know until he got pulled over. Impounded one of his cars, had to miss a bunch of work, cuz he drives a company vehicle....but had the hardest time getting answers between the court, DMV, etc. To try to resolve it.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
I paid 2 simple parking tickets years ago and years later got a nasty gram from popo. Went in with the copy of the check I used and a nondescript receipt they gave me. Didn’t help one bit had to pay both again at double the price for late. Assholes.

JD D05

Reaction score
I got a ticket one night driving in West Texas back to UT on some rez. Lost the ticket, called the he HP and nothing. 10 years later which was this summer I started getting tons of letters from some law firm.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Happened to me back in 1981 on July 19, my 23rd birthday. Didnt drink much back then and had been at my buddies house in Seal Beach. Had maybe 2 Mikey's large mouth beers over a 4 hour period but was pretty torn up on Valium's at the time. Anyway headed home about 1am in my 67 Chevelle SS and cop pulled me over right in front of the police station. Long story short they wrote me a ticket for dui before they even gave me any test AT THE STATION.
Kept me for about 5 hours and let me go. Walked across the street got in my car and went home. Court date rolls around, I show up with my citation and there is no record of it. Court appointee tells me to go to the DA's office for follow-up which I do as it is just down the hall. DA rep looks at my citation and there is no record of it in their system. He stamps it with some garbage and signs/dates it. I walk out throw it in the glove box and never ever heard another thing about it. I think the cop fucked up thinking I was drunk, wrote the citation, kept me for about 5 hours with no positive results then cut me free.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I see some crazy ass drivers on my commute up/down the 5 everyday and am totally shocked there aren't more accidents. People are nucking futs. Big time road rage or racing the other vening coming home. Guys were driving like monsters in fast cars, totally surprised someone did loose it.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
If you have a ticket in hand go to the court clerk and ask to see a judge. He will get it ironed out. That stuff pisses them off.
I left California over Drivers licence crap.
Sacramento sent me in the same day in the mail a notice of reinstatement, a rescind and another of reinstatement.
It all started out as a no front license plate citation.
I used that against the court system for many years until I gave up and moved.
When I went back to Ca. to get abstracts to get my license in Colorado, suddenly things were cleared up.

That was my experience.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I thought this thread was “traffic ticket in a lambo”...... I got excited.