WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer brake Bleeding

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
Just popped the cap on my new to me 2008 Extreme Trippel Axle and I don’t see any brake fluid. I topped it off but would like to bleed it properly. Anyone have experience doing this and can give me some tips on how to bleed this puppy?

Last edited:

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
10 psi of air pressure at the master and bleed away. Just make sure you keep topping off

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just popped the cap on my 2008 Extreme Trippel Axle and I don’t see any brake fluid. I topped it off but would like to bleed it properly. Anyone have experience doing this and can give me some tips on how to bleed this puppy?

Odds are your entire brake system is toast. Probably nothing but rust in there and everything is frozen solid.

When you look into the empty master, what do you see??

Post a pic if you can...

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
2 people. One low level flunky (I use my kids) at the tongue, with the "stinger" from the truck in the coupler. One with an empty Gatorade bottle, a piece of clear hose, and an 8mm wrench (8mm on Euro trailers, your wrench may vary).

Fill reservoir.
Crack bleeder with 8mm
Press stinger down/back to push fluid thru
Tighten bleeder
Lift stinger
Lather, rinse, repeat until no air bubbles
Move on to next brake setup.

It is easier on an empty trailer, but can be done with the boat in the way...

Be sure to keep the reservoir filled, or you get the privilege of starting over!

Ballpark a half hour for most trailers.

Icky

Reaction score
You mean suction - like with a power bleeder?
I didn't have any luck using one. Had to use the screw driver from the bottom to pump the cylinder.
Odds are your entire brake system is toast. Probably nothing but rust in there and everything is frozen solid.

Post a pic if you can...
That's how mine was, ended up replacing the master, both calipers, and 2 of the lines. Although my brakes hadn't worked in the 8 years I owned it, so they were beyond repair. Never felt like I needed them till I had to lock up the brakes with my newborn(at the time) in the back seat.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I bought this, just removed all four bleeders to start and let it pour out, with minimal pressure, then put bleeders back in and went to the furthest ran about 4oz out then next to next. Used half a gallon at least of fluid but the trailer breaks work excellent now!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I didn't have any luck using one. Had to use the screw driver from the bottom to pump the cylinder.

That's how mine was, ended up replacing the master, both calipers, and 2 of the lines. Although my brakes hadn't worked in the 8 years I owned it, so they were beyond repair. Never felt like I needed them till I had to lock up the brakes with my newborn(at the time) in the back seat.

That's how my trailer was when I got my toon. Had to replace everything including the lines.

I filled it with synthetic brake fluid and keep it topped up now.

It's less than a hundred yards to the launch ramp so I'm hoping it's still ok! 😜

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score

Post a pic if you can...
Looked clean. Zero rust. I’ll shoot a pic tomorrow.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
I had the same problem. New master cylinder and a brake bleed later and I was in business. Looks like a got lucky since I go in salt also.

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
No, I use positive pressure. I have a cap that I modified that I can put positive air pressure. Just have to regulate the pressure
Does the cap have some sort of fluid feed line? Seems counterproductive to push air into a system that has to be air-less. Maybe I’m just not conceptualizing your setup 🤷🏻‍♂️

50onRED

The Metal Lab
Reaction score
I had the same problem. New master cylinder and a brake bleed later and I was in business. Looks like a got lucky since I go in salt also.
I used to have a bleeder from my years in the automotive biz. I didn’t even think about that. I’ll have to dig it out. I think that’s going to do the trick.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
No, I use positive pressure. I have a cap that I modified that I can put positive air pressure. Just have to regulate the pressure

Ok so this isn't something I can buy.....
So you are pushing fluid through the system vs pulling it.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Does the cap have some sort of fluid feed line? Seems counterproductive to push air into a system that has to be air-less. Maybe I’m just not conceptualizing your setup 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fill the master with fluid. Apply some air pressure. I have an extra cap that I removed the top of. It has a vent that allows me to hook a rubber tube to, put this cap on. I apply 10psi of air pressure, bleed one brake. Then unscrew the the cap, top off the fluid and do it again for the next brake.

I could attach a small tank containing brakefluid but I find that this works for me

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Ok so this isn't something I can buy.....
So you are pushing fluid through the system vs pulling it.

Actually you can. Just order another cap for your brake reservoir and use a bicycle pump. Still may require 2 people

Mikes56

Reaction score
I just blew a tire on the way home from Havasu. The blown tire tore the brake line, which emptied the brake system.

Motive makes an attachment for the reservoir hole on the trailer tongue. Fill the Motive pressure tank with brake fluid, pump up to 15 psi, then it took me 5 minutes to bleed the 4 calipers. I was able to pump out all the old crap and see fresh fluid come out of each bleeder. It was WAY easy.