WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer brake controller?

240Hallett

Reaction score
Is there a state law that requires a brake controller for a trailer 1300 pounds or over? Trailer dealer is trying to sell my son one for a pop up tent trailer.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Is there a state law that requires a brake controller for a trailer 1300 pounds or over? Trailer dealer is trying to sell my son one for a pop up tent trailer.
does it even have brakes at that size? if it does he will need a controller.

240Hallett

Reaction score
So electric brakes won’t work through the plug without an auxiliary controller?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
it should be wired and work when you step on the brakes, the controller would allow you to apply brakes on trailer alone. This is the way my old travel trailer was, think about a panic stop you don't want to have to reach down and grab that device...

240Hallett

Reaction score
If the tow vehicle has a built-in brake controller great, if not he needs one of these (or similar)

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90195.html

FWIW - My Prodigy worked great.
It’s a late model Colorado with a seven pin connector and a four pin connector. Does that mean it has a brake controller?I’ve always had old shit with surge breaks, not up to speed on the electric break thing.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
They are easy to put in and for a lot less than they want. If the trailer has brakes, he should use them. Most people are using popups behind light, or shorter wheelbase vehicles. No big deal, but can be very helpful if needed.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

4Waters

Reaction score
If it doesn't have one installed from the factory the factory will usually have a plug and play from the parts department, no splicing wires or any of that shit, just mount it and plug it in.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Yeah they’re generally super easy to install.

One more vote for prodigy.

And yes, to activate trailer brakes you do need a trailer brake controller, either factory or aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

braindead

Reaction score
Don't pay those asshats $700, I'll do it for $695! Ha ha

In all seriousness a brake controller is needed to activate the electric brakes, and prodigy p3 is the way to go along with a direct fit pigtail for the truck to the controller. Check the manual, my 2500 needed a fuse installed to charge the battery on the trailer

lbhsbz

Reaction score
It’s a late model Colorado with a seven pin connector and a four pin connector. Does that mean it has a brake controller?I’ve always had old shit with surge breaks, not up to speed on the electric break thing.

Most GMs that come with a 7 pin have an accessory harness available to hook up brake controls. Call your local GM parts dept.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
So electric brakes won’t work through the plug without an auxiliary controller?
Correct, you need a auxiliary controller to activate electric trailer brakes. Prodigy makes a great product, Camping world has the P2 for $ 124.95 and the P3 for $ 144.15. The P2 will work just fine for your application. As others have mentioned get the harness either from Chevy or Camping World then it's just plug and play to install it. I don't think that installation from Camping World is anywhere near $ 500.00 but you could call your nearest location and ask. Get the controller installed before he goes to pick up the trailer. $ 700.00 to install a brake controller is highway robbery.

28Eliminator

Reaction score

I’ll bet it has one built in. Even my 9 year old truck has it built in. As soon as you plug in a trailer with electric brakes, it pops up on my screen to calibrate it, and it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

240Hallett

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! RDP comes through as usual with all the shit you need to know.He ended up walking out on this deal so we will get him set up and ready when the right one comes along.

Travmon

Reaction score
I have your best answer for this ALL OF YOU ! So I am in the business as I own Northwest Coach Truck and Trailer up in Washington and the coolest thing to happen in this area has happened. You can now buy a inline brake controller that plugs into your 7 way ,then your trailer plugs into it and you download the APP on your phone to set the brake tension and VOILA' your done. AND you can use one on all your rigs..NEVER have to hardwire a brake controller again..Not sure what brand I have its all in storage, either Kurt,Tekonsha or one of the main brands.. It is small and awesome.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Just put the brake controller in. It's a $300 investment to save your ass when you have to do an emergency stop and will likely save your hydroboost. I have a prodigy in one truck and hate it. To aggressive at parking lot speeds and doesn't come on quick enough at freeway speed no matter how much I adjust it. Have a dual knob tekonsha in the other truck and is smooth from parking lot speed to freeway speed.

brownsuger

Reaction score
I have a Prodigy in both my trucks even though they had a factory controller.... I'm not a fan of the factory ones, and have had issues with them in the past.... But I do tow a lot, so maybe that's why......

$700 sounds like they are gouging you a lot..... Buy one and install it yourself. Easy peasy.....

Riley1

Reaction score
I have 1 prodigy P3 that I switch between the motor home and the expedition when towing our enclosed trailer. Very easy to install. Most trucks will have a wire harness and relay or fuse in the glovebox from the factory for brake controllers. Also a page or 2 in the owners manual describing install.