WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

trailer brakes

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
Help! the boat trailer brakes lock up when backing up, i'm having a brain fart, what am i missing people?:headscratch:

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
There should be a lock out pin on old school trailers or charge the elect. lock out by turning your 4-pin upside down and pluging it in while backing.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Help! the boat trailer brakes lock up when backing up, i'm having a brain fart, what am i missing people?:headscratch:

hyd or or elect?

im guessin hyd, since most boat trailers dont use elect brakes. as mentioned, there should be a lock out pin or lever on the hitch.

got a pic??

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
its a standard hyd ufp actuator. never had this prob before. thanks for your help peeps! there is a little tab on the underside of it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
its a standard hyd ufp actuator. never had this prob before. thanks for your help peeps! there is a little tab on the underside of it.

Sounds like stuff is sticking/binding. Ever flush the fluid outa they whole system? Now might be a good time.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
Is everything solidly plugged together....? Don't ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
Does your trailer have a four or a five prong adapter?

Is your tow vehicle equipped with the proper female adapter (This should bring TB along shortly)?

If not you may be able to go to Walmart and buy the correct adapters for your adapters.

Patyacht

Reaction score
Check your vehicle fuse if the other items told so far don't work. It's hard to say because you have not given musch to go on. Do you have disk brakes?

Last edited:

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
sorry for the lack of info guys, my bad, trailer is an ellis tandem 21ft disc brakes on rear axle 5 pin connector. tow vehicle is all good with wire connections etc. i

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
sorry for the lack of info guys, my bad, trailer is an ellis tandem 21ft disc brakes on rear axle 5 pin connector. tow vehicle is all good with wire connections etc. i

Bad connection or adaptor is 180degrees off.

WET-N-WILD LIGHTNING

Reaction score
Check your vehicle fuse if the other items told so far don't work. It's hard to say because you have not given musch to go on. Do you have disk brakes?

X2, check vehicle fuse. I washaci g problems with my trailer backing up and come to find out the fuse had never been installed in the truck.

NoDoz

Reaction score
I had always wondered this too. I have a 2009 GMC Sierra and trailer is an Extreme. When I bought my boat, the Orig owner had me back up with it connected to check to see if trailer brakes would lock up. Definitely wiring/electrical or harness issues but never figured it out....PB King has a beat on this one :thumbsup

cruzer

Reaction score
Do your backup lights work? If not, check that fuse. If they work, there us a selenoid that disables the brakes when you back up that isn't working or isn't getting power. The selenoid should be near your master cylinder on the trailer.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Are you trying to back up a hill? Stick a nickel or the a trailer brake key if you have one into the side if the tongue.

Essexive G's

Reaction score
I had the solenoid go out on mine. Find the wire that goes to the solenoid. Have somebody put your truck in reverse with the brake on and take a meter to the wire to see if it has 12v. If so the solenoid is bad. Oh by the way it is a bitch to take out, and replace. So much so that I took mine to a trailer shop. and had the whole thing replaced. If that is the problem and you need to back up until you can get it fixed, you can put 2 nickles in the slide on the side to keep it from compressing the master cylinder.

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
thanks for all the input everybody! yep ! i will do the nickel deal until i change out solenoid.:thumbsup