WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer Bunks

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed but here goes anyway. I need to replace the boards on my trailer. I was thinking about using treated wood. The same material that is used for a wall plate for an outside wall on a house. Seems like it would last longer.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That's what I used on mine...

All new carpet and all stainless hardware. If I knew in advance how much work it was gonna be, I would have paid someone else to do it.

Quite the project on a 28ft toon.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Before and almost after.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1442456730278.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1442456730278.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 149
  • uploadfromtaptalk1442456761748.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1442456761748.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 152

Squirtsfar

Reaction score

All new carpet and all stainless hardware. If I knew in advance how much work it was gonna be, I would have paid someone else to do it.

That is a lot of wood. One advantage of having a 21' boat is there is less wood to replace. ;) 2 - 12' and 2 - 7'-6".

My biggest challenge will be finding 4 straight boards at Home Depot! :yikes :rolleyes

Are you using Stereo Box Grade Carpet or the thicker Flooring Grade Carpet?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score

I took a little different approach with my toon trailer.

I leave the boat in the water more than 60% of the time and in all honesty the trailer is used as much to hold the boat while acid washing the toons to remove the calcium deposits that build up over time so when I redid the bunks I just replaced the wood with Doug Fir bunks and SS hardware cuz the carpet on the old trailer was all but destroyed after a couple of acid treatments......you really can't scratch the toons so the carpet only gets in the way for cleaning and typically tears easily when loading a toon with heavy calcium build-up.

This new set-up took me only about 3 hours to replace everything and about $100 in materials and even if I replace the bunks every 2 years I'm still way ahead of the game......something to think about for the toon owners ;)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That is a lot of wood. One advantage of having a 21' boat is there is less wood to replace. ;) 2 - 12' and 2 - 7'-6".

My biggest challenge will be finding 4 straight boards at Home Depot! :yikes :rolleyes

Are you using Stereo Box Grade Carpet or the thicker Flooring Grade Carpet?
Bunk carpet. Pre cut to the correct width. I picked it up at Hallett. Pretty sure any marine store can get it for you. Get an electric stapler.

The pressure treated boards are all pretty straight. I think they use a much better grade of wood to start.

Ive never acid washed the toon. Had em polished before though. The truck stops have people for that. [emoji6]