WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer carpeting

hallett21

Reaction score
Has anyone added carpeted inserts to their trailer in between the frame & supports, and taken photos while doing it. I have always loved the way the trailers look when you do this is. I just had a few questions on how you go about doing this. First being, if you're trailer never had these carpet inserts do you have to weld tabs to mount to? Is there a trick way to do the mounting? I assume that you would carpet them the same way you do bunks. Or would you fiberglass them to make them waterproof? I read on here a while back that glassing any trailer wood isn't always a good idea because it can hold water in if water finds its way in. I think I would only do the first 10ft of the trailer at most (the forward "triangle" of the trailer frame.)

W.O.T MARINE

Reaction score
We redid an existing cat walk last year for a customer. His trailer had tabs welded to the frame every foot or so, along left side, ride side, and center frame rails. The way we did his was, cut marine grade ply wood to fit into the frame with about a 1/4" gap for the carpet, then used SS carriage bolts to secure the wood to the tabs. All the hardware was covered by the carpet. We angle cut all the wood to help the carpet from cutting it and it looks nicer where the cat walk meets up with the trailer frame. If I were to do this again I would treat the wood with varnish to help further protect it. We used a contact cement to help bond the carpet to the wood to keep the carpet from moving and wrinkling. I attached a few photos hope this helps.

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 026 (2).jpg
    026 (2).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg