WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer hitches. SCV. ?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Called a place today and they want about 650 for a hitch and wiring. Going on a 2008 highlander Roughly 500-750 tongue weight 5k towing
Any body have suggestions who to use or should I just buy a bolt on and have my son tach wield for extra security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X Hoser

Reaction score
Try U-Haul and Camping World for price comparisons. Not sure where you are at but Riverside Hitch and Trailer in Riverside, CA. are really good and fair priced.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Oops, just saw SCV

All good. I’ve looked at u haul and others that have direct bolt on hitches and then just get the wiring kit. Kind of just looking for input. If anybody has used a bolt on company. Are they happy etc.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Bear Trailers in Chatsworth ask for Vic, His guy Blaine is the best...818-727-1585 Tell him Jeff from Century sent you.

RVRKID

Reaction score
Seems pretty high to me, unless the wiring takes them a long time. The big problem will be finding the hitch, I have been waiting on a hitch for a customer for about 3 weeks and still have about another week before they are shipping it out.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Bear Trailers in Chatsworth ask for Vic, His guy Blaine is the best...818-727-1585 Tell him Jeff from Century sent you.

Thank you. Out and about now will give them a call

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
There is that trailer shop in SCV, been there for years, its near the skate park behind Home Depot, the owner is a complete tool, and really overpriced.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Seems pretty high to me, unless the wiring takes them a long time. The big problem will be finding the hitch, I have been waiting on a hitch for a customer for about 3 weeks and still have about another week before they are shipping it out.

Was looking on e trailer. Have in stock at 190 ish. 50 - 60 ish for wiring harness. So again my question kind of comes back to positive or horror stories from a bolt on.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
There is that trailer shop in SCV, been there for years, its near the skate park behind Home Depot, the owner is a complete tool, and really overpriced.

Yes I know the shop. I won’t be spending that much with them.
And trying not to call any shop out just seems overpriced as you said.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Called a place today and they want about 650 for a hitch and wiring. Going on a 2008 highlander Roughly 500-750 tongue weight 5k towing
Any body have suggestions who to use or should I just buy a bolt on and have my son tach wield for extra security.

I went the U-Haul route with bolt on and worked great. I say it cost around $250-$300 total. It went on a Silverado.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I went the U-Haul route with bolt on and worked great. I say it cost around $250-$300 total. It went on a Silverado.

That’s the info I’m looking for. Thank you.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Was looking on e trailer. Have in stock at 190 ish. 50 - 60 ish for wiring harness. So again my question kind of comes back to positive or horror stories from a bolt on.

As in bolted to the frame? That's how just about every receiver is installed. Use grade 8 bolts and loctite.

Never weld a hitch. The welds will eventually crack.

A Class 3 receiver should be fine.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I used a hidden hitch I bought from e-trailer. Pretty easy to install, I think I had to loosen the mufflers to get enough clearance to install and get to all the bolts. Took me half a day by myself. I don't tow much with that car though, mostly used for bike racks and luggage racks.

Mikes56

Reaction score
Yes I know the shop. I won’t be spending that much with them.
And trying not to call any shop out just seems overpriced as you said.

He's really high priced, but you get what you pay for. He's done all my hitches and I've never had a problem. He showed me under a truck with a cheap bolt on hitch. The 90* flange was bending and straightening out and pulling away from the truck frame.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Honestly $650 isn’t that bad. Looking at eTrailer, you’re looking at ~$300 for the hitch and 4-way wiring harness. A couple hours shop labor and sales tax..? Seems right. If you need a 5-way/7-way plug, they’ll likely have to do some extra wiring.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Accurate has always done me right. Buy once / Cry once.

They’ve done other hitches for me and I have no complaints. I can’t justify paying double though. Plus I wasn’t real impressed with the person on the phone. Almost seemed to be a put out.
If I was towing more than a 18’ outboard farther than local lakes I might reconsider. But as of now I will finding other options.

was trying to keep the name out of it but to late for that. [emoji33]

Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Honestly $650 isn’t that bad. Looking at eTrailer, you’re looking at ~$300 for the hitch and 4-way wiring harness. A couple hours shop labor and sales tax..? Seems right. If you need a 5-way/7-way plug, they’ll likely have to do some extra wiring.

I’m looking at 190 for the hitch and 60 ish for the wiring from e trailer. 750 tongue weight /. 5k towing. So paying 400 or more in labor isn’t for me.

I really wasn’t trying to call out a company. I truly was just looking for something more affordable for my uses.

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
I paid 1k for mine on my Durango from the dealer but it's totally hidden and they needed to program the trailer lights anyway . Was worth every dollar to me to be totally hidden

Halvecto

Reaction score
Did you call the U-Haul on Sierra Hwy. across from Chi-Chi's? They have a large shop, but I don't think they are turning things out quickly. They did some wiring adjustments for me. I have also used Accurate, but not for routine stuff. Bear did my brakes and bearings a few years ago. He does custom work, frame strengthening, etc. They were on point.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score

I had U-Haul put a bolt on hitch for my EX's Lexus, no problems at all. Like everything else, recheck the torque on the bolts.

Mikes56

Reaction score
They’ve done other hitches for me and I have no complaints. I can’t justify paying double though. Plus I wasn’t real impressed with the person on the phone. Almost seemed to be a put out.
If I was towing more than a 18’ outboard farther than local lakes I might reconsider. But as of now I will finding other options.

was trying to keep the name out of it but to late for that. [emoji33]

Was it a chick you talked to? She's always like that lol.