WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer Hubs/Bearings

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Okay maybe I'm just losing my mind, but I recall some guys changing out either the hub or bearing to something else other than the Bearing Buddy can anyone tell me the name of that product? It's suppose to superior correct?

CobraDave

Reaction score
I believe you're speaking about the Vault hubs and bearings made by UFP. I don't think they have lived up to the claim if being superior though.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Maybe speaking of the oil bath bearing kits???

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
As long as you service/repack them every year at the beginning of the season you should have no issues.......and there is nothing wrong with the bearing buddies, they work well. :thumbsup

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing my bearings with Timkens and kicking around the idea of sending them to MicroBlue or seeing if they stock them already treated. Also may send in my lower gears their treatment seems to be the real deal and used in many different applications from trucking to all forms of racing. Might be Overkill but will give me piece of mind on a 90+ hot day. Bearing buddies work great just keep the caps off so water can't get trapped

http://www.microblueracing.com

CobraDave

Reaction score
It was the vault hubs. A hybrid grease/ oil. There are threads here about it.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
I believe you're speaking about the Vault hubs and bearings made by UFP. I don't think they have lived up to the claim if being superior though.

Thank you I couldn't remember the name

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I'm running the oil hubs, no problem .I don't think I would ever want to run the grease type (bearing buddies) any more.

Singleton

Reaction score
I'm running the oil hubs, no problem .I don't think I would ever want to run the grease type (bearing buddies) any more.

I am the complete opposite. Had so many issues with the oil hubs that I went back to grease.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I have oil bath on a 05 Extreme trailer , 12 years old and the only maintenance is topping off the hubs with a little oil and adding thread sealer to fill plugs .even the 4 wheel disc brakes still look good , and that's towing back and forth to the river every year .

fishing fool

Reaction score
I HAD oil bath. They were great until one popped off. I did not want to tow it any further, with grease I would have towed it home. With grease there is still some there if buddy is popped off, with oil it's all gone.

CobraDave

Reaction score

Those have failed on me twice. Good thing I was around the corner from adrenaline. The oil drains out fast not giving you much time before they start burning up. I also think they are more of a fire risk, being that the oil splashes all over my rotor and the brakes were hot and smoking heavily

CobraDave

Reaction score
That's not what I've heard. Shit I just put those on my trailer.

Don't quote me, but I know the oil/grease is harder to find in a pinch and spare parts if something went wrong. Have any pics of them?