WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer Locks

Foscheck

Reaction score
I've been hearing of a lot of trailer/boat theft lately, and its got me thinking. What's the best tongue lock for storing a trailer? Seems like everything on the market has its weaknesses. I realize that given enough time, and the right tools, nothing is bulletproof. What says the RDP brain trust.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Dropping a dump trailer off tomorrow at a job. Pull both tire and wheels off one side and lock the other 2 wheels. Locks are easy to get past.

Reaction score
Dropping a dump trailer off tomorrow at a job. Pull both tire and wheels off one side and lock the other 2 wheels. Locks are easy to get past.

This is what I do!:thumbsup

Foscheck

Reaction score
That's the feedback I was looking for. I'm less concerned about the boat, and more concerned about the enclosed trailer in storage

hallett21

Reaction score
A screw gun and grinder will smoke just about any lock. I like the tire removal. Just make sure the tires aren't store close by

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
would a removable tongue be an option ?

I did that with my first boat so it would fit into the garage. Although I suppose that it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate a quick bolt on style hitch that would make any trailer lock useless.

Foscheck

Reaction score
I did that with my first boat so it would fit into the garage. Although I suppose that it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate a quick bolt on style hitch that would make any trailer lock useless.

I'll probably end up fabricating my own.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'm about to store my 21 Daycruiser at home in a shelter. I'm planning on driving a couple 6 foot steel stakes into the ground and welding eyes on them for locks that will be chained to the axles. I'm assuming I'll hear a big bang if someone tries to steel it. In the end, if they want it bad enough they will get it.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Thanks for the reference, but i am looking a best one under $50. Please suggest me a specific one.

There is no 'best' one for $50.... they are all literally junk.
One hard blow with a hammer will smash them, let alone stop a thief that knows what he's doing.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I'm about to store my 21 Daycruiser at home in a shelter. I'm planning on driving a couple 6 foot steel stakes into the ground and welding eyes on them for locks that will be chained to the axles. I'm assuming I'll hear a big bang if someone tries to steel it. In the end, if they want it bad enough they will get it.

Shovel (or drill) a 10-12" diameter hole, about 2 ft deep in the ground.
Drive your 6 ft. stake about 5 ft. deep in the ground IN the center of this hole (leave about a foot sticking up in the hole, about 12" below the ground's surface)
Weld your eye onto the end of the stake.
Get a 2 foot piece of 8" ID pipe or heavy wall tubing. Drop this over the protruding stake (the eye will be about 12" below the ground's surface) and the top edge of the tube/pipe will be at ground level.
Backfill the outside of the tube -- use a couple of bags of concrete from Home Despot to be really secure.

Use very heavy chain and by placing your lock on the eyelet, below the ground's durface, a thief will never be able to cut or pick the lock.

Last edited:

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Shovel (or drill) a 10-12" diameter hole, about 2 ft deep in the ground.
Drive your 6 ft. stake about 5 ft. deep in the ground IN the center of this hole (leave about a foot sticking up in the hole, about 12" below the ground's surface)
Weld your eye onto the end of the stake.
Get a 2 foot piece of 8" ID pipe or heavy wall tubing. Drop this over the protruding stake (the eye will be about 12" below the ground's surface) and the top edge of the tube/pipe will be at ground level.
Backfill the outside of the tube -- use a couple of bags of concrete from Home Despot to be really secure.

Use very heavy chain and by placing your lock on the eyelet, below the ground's durface, a thief will never be able to cut or pick the lock.

AND the lock will still be there after the boat is gone :) when they cut the chain :)

After the thieves get through all of your awesome preventive stuff - track their ass with something like this - OBVIOUSLY don't mount it in clear view or it will be sitting in a dumpster somewhere about a mile away from storage spot. http://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

THIEVES SUCK !!!!!!!

Wadernation

Reaction score
[QUOTE

After the thieves get through all of your awesome preventive stuff - track their ass with something like this - OBVIOUSLY don't mount it in clear view or it will be sitting in a dumpster somewhere about a mile away from storage spot. http://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

THIEVES SUCK !!!!!!![/QUOTE]

oh i like this. i have been looking for some kind of GPS. thanks for the lead

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
[QUOTE

THIEVES SUCK !!!!!!!

oh i like this. i have been looking for some kind of GPS. thanks for the lead[/QUOTE]

Spot Trace. Sold at West Marine as well as other places. They are $ 99.99 but they go on sale for about $ 49.99 and yearly service is $ 149.00. Well worth the peace of mind.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/spot--trace-theft-alert-tracking-device--15149297?mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3252486968&rkg_id=h-3fbaa6150f4ba836beed39a8fbda5cd1_t-1524611153&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%20-%20West%20Marine%20Branded-_-15149297&product_id=15149297&adpos=1o1&creative=231267080879&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=3252486968&mrkgcl=481&rkg_id=0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjIyljYPU2gIVDcNkCh3a5wbmEAQYASABEgLbYvD_BwE

Icky

Reaction score
I have the spot trace in the boat, it's nice but it needs to be charged every 3-4 months depending on what settings you use.

Also if you want to change those settings you have to be hooked up to a laptop which I find completely stupid.

hallett21

Reaction score
I can drill a lock with a visible key slot in roughly 60-120 seconds.

Home Depot sells mini cutting torches as well.

Just things to keep in mind when securing your stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foscheck

Reaction score
I like the Spot Trace idea.
I ended up using 1/2 Security Maxx chain and their lock. The enclosed is chained to a 10 x 10 steel beam that supports the roof. Nothing’s perfect, but it’s another layer.

JayBreww

Reaction score

And store the wheels elsewhere. Ain’t going no where without those little guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plus a tongue lock and a cable lock through the axle. It'll slow 'em down at least...
20180424_211628.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk