• Welcome to River Dave's Place

Trailer Paint

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Brokeboatin221, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Brokeboatin221

Brokeboatin221 Well-Known Member

Wondering what you guys are using and recommend for durability. My competitive is currently red/faded and I ideally want to go black.

2. bagged97taco

bagged97taco Well-Known Member

Once you go black you never go back

RitcheyRch and Shrub Lurker like this.
  3. Brokeboatin221

That’s what she said..... haha

4. Shrub Lurker

Shrub Lurker Well-Known Member

Look around, we have a place in Fresno that sells Valspar single stage two part urathane. That is what the dude I use uses. Smells like Sherwin Williams 421 from the 1980's.
    Dunno if they will ship, the place is called Schwanns.

If you just want a blow and go, good old rust oleum in the can (not spray can), lays out really nice, adheares well and hides an ass load of sins but since it's just like good old synthetic enamel it air dries only. Drying time can be a day or so.
    Since there is no hardener and air dry only it will only last a couple years.

5. Webuildcustom

Webuildcustom Active Member

If you want durability powder coat it. If you want a showey finish paint it... powder coat is also the cheaper option. If you haven't shopped prices yet you should know the cost of material alone will exceed the cost of a good quality powder coat job.

If you paint it any single stage with a good uv inhibitor will work. The lic (valspar) mentioned above is a decent selection and inexpensive. However the uv inhibitor is not very solid in it and it will fade after a few years. When we used to spray it we would mix hok uc35 clear into the base 50/50 for the last coat or 2. It will make it last virtually forever. Sherwin William's now owns valspar and has a horrible track record of reformulating and flat out repackaging products (which is probably why they smell the same) and putting out total garbage. Run away from anything sherwin William's or omni (off brand ppg) for that matter

I opted to paint mine as I wanted a nice show finish I used glasurit 22 line single stage. It has a good solid gloss. Strong uv inhibitor and its durable. Sprays real nice and with a little practice is a true spray and deliver finish, which is super hard get out of any california compliant product.

Attached Files:

6. Shrub Lurker

Shrub Lurker Well-Known Member

well alrighty then, class dismissed.

7. Brokeboatin221

No kidding that looks killer and I’m going that route for sure! Thank you!

8. mash on it

mash on it Beyond Hell Crew

Tractor Supply equipment paint.
    Any color you want. As long as it was on a tractor. Plus black and white.

Dan'l