WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer questions

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
So the last time that we went out in the boat I wondered about town with the trailer in tow. Both up and down streets waiting on th ewife to me up with me. Came back to the house in about 45 minutes later and it looked like the back brakes were smoking a bit. Today I had the first chance to hook up the boat and pull it out of the garage to look at it. I pulled the center caps and everything looks good. Then jacked it up and spun the wheels. Each wheel spun freely and there is nothing dragging at all. I am thinking that it might be the surge brake or one of those freak times.

The question that I have is is there a way to test the surge brake? As well is there a way to lube the part of the tongue that moves into the trailer frame? by the way I just had the boat serviced and they said everything looked good. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Any Thoughts or suggestions is appreciated. 👍

Icky

Reaction score
Wheel bearing nut tightened too much? Caliper sticking?
There a few you tube videos that show how to pump the brakes with a screw driver, something I had to do when bleeding the brakes.

T.E.D.

Reaction score
I had that issue with my trailer all the time. Switched to electro-hydralic to solve once and for all.
You brake going down hill. Trailer slides forward. You start going again but not hard enough that the trailer slides back releasing the brake. Brakes will be smoking soon. Some couplers tilt and the trailer weight turns it off pretty good. The sliding type do not.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Around town stop and go activates the surge brakes way more than when you're on the hi way

and slower speeds no air flow for cooling ??

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Take it for a drive and come back and check the rotor temp with a laser temp gun. Compare it to the rotors on the truck. The trailer probably shouldn’t be any hotter than the trucks brakes. And the temps should be equal on all wheels.

If they’re way hotter than the truck, might have a sticking surge actuator.

If one wheel is way hotter than others, then you got a sticking caliper.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Went for a drive and it did not seam to be an issue. I will look into it further with the laser temp gun. I forgot that I have one of those on the boat when I bought it to check if the gauge was correct. LOL

Attached is a pic of the tongue area if anyone has additional thoughts based on what is there. 👍

3C4F95F1-174C-4B6C-B313-E7613CB2D068.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Mash your gas pedal when leaving a red light or stop sign.😂 I joke....but sometimes I will give my throttle a little blip if I think/feel the trailer is dragging a bit.