WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer Registration Shenanigans

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So I bought a boat last weekend. AZ title for the boat and trailer. I'm going to leave the boat registered in AZ. That's easy enough.

Now for the trailer. I called AAA and they stated that CA requires VIN Verification for out of state trailers. Well it rarely comes back here to CA (plan is maybe 1 or 2 weekends a year) but it's stored in Mohave Valley right by Needles Bridge. So I guess I could swing by Needles DMV. But I don't think I'll be there during a weekday until November 12 or 13. AAA said I could just register it in AZ. But I saw a thread where @BoatCop said CA residents with a AZ registered trailer will get tagged by LEO in CA.

So what's the play here? Just take off a day and drive out there to get it titled and registered at Needles DMV? Keep it registered in AZ and gamble two weekends every year?

I don't understand how you some of you guys are constantly buying and selling. It's a pain in the ass.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I’d say leave it. Not worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’d say leave it. Not worth the trouble.

This guy is smart.

Put the trailer in your wife’s name and just say you borrowed it you ever get pulled over :)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm with cobradave on this one if it's just a couple times a year. Worst case is you'll have to go get it registered if chp catches you in Ca with it.

fmo24

Reaction score
I actually got cited years ago for az trailer behind a Ca truck. My license got suspended as I did not realize it was a fix it as well If there is any chance you are bringing that trailer into Ca register it now. It’s a perm tag so one and done

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I had to vin verified mine when I bought my boat in NV. Was an easy process, but I had 2 bill of sales. One for the boat and one for the trailer. Only paid CA tax on the trailer......Was a POS worth $500 ;)

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
With all the lawlessness going on in this country, and we’re worried about what state to register a trailer ? And being cited / fined / license taken away for such a trivial offense ? When are people like us gonna protest / riot ?

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Does the trailer have a stamped clearly readable vin or an attached vin plate? If so vin verifications take seconds. If not keep it registered in Arizona.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
With all the lawlessness going on in this country, and we’re worried about what state to register a trailer ? And being cited / fined / license taken away for such a trivial offense ? When are people like us gonna protest / riot ?

Never. We are too busy working, have too much to lose, are too distracted trying figuring out what boat, toy or RV to buy and sell, and then extremely concerned about what overpriced ice chest works best to hold our beer and ice for a few hours.

CobraDave

Reaction score

100 percent agree. I’m one of the good people. Why is my truck registered in Ca and trailer in AZ? Go fuck yourself.