WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer tire question

82daytona

Reaction score
What's the expected life of a trailer tire if they've been stored indoors and has maybe 700 miles total

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
What's the expected life of a trailer tire if they've been stored indoors and has maybe 700 miles total

I'm sure answers will be all over the place, I'm gonna say 5 years if it's blocked up with weight off the tires when not in use.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
One more thing, if they develop those small cracks in sidewall or tread I wouldn't make any long trips. Not worth all the damage it causes when one blows.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
I would bet the tire manufac look at this way, the average miles traveled by vehicles is in the 12 k range, 5 years on a set of tires and 60 k miles, worn out. sure they could build with better materials, but why would they. the trailer tire side of the business is too small to build tires that would last longer and they would be way to expensive. Do I change my trailer tires every five years? nope I travel 500 miles round trip to parker, looks like I need to go 24 times a year! LOL

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I changed mine this year after noticing a few small cracks. I think they were 5-6 years old and always indoors except when towing and at the river/lake.

82daytona

Reaction score
I just checked all four tires there aren't any cracks and can't find a date. Overall they look like new.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I just checked all four tires there aren't any cracks and can't find a date. Overall they look like new.

The date will look like this 36-13, meaning it was manufactured 36th week in 2013.

530RL

Reaction score
Carmakers, tiremakers and rubber manufacturers differ in their opinions about the lifespan of a tire. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers. Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year. The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire.

77charger

Reaction score
alot of factors can come into play.Are they aired up properly for every trip,are they carrying their max weight,etc

It seems to me that my toyhauler tires are good for about 5 years i use the trailer about once a month always aired to proper psi but i have one begining to separate.I t also got a nail in it earlier this year i patched it from inside but know once they get a hole their done anyways but in the past i have seen tires that had no damage begin to show signs of coming apart.

So i have decided for me 5 years replace no matter what mine have shown no cracks,wear.etc but when there 4 years old i will look at tires at every stop we make cause when one goes the others will not be far behind.

My boat trailer tires i used passenger car tires i bought in 04 for 120 bucks total.I just had to replace 2 of them 2 years ago the other 2 last year.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Mine are 2003's and have at least 5,000 miles in them. I just lost one tire awhile back.. I think it would've been fine but I towed it a little tongue high and didnt lower the hitch out of laziness so it out more pressure on the back tires..

I will say though I won't tow anything over 55 mph now.. Normally I would.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
i replace every 5 cracks or not. its just not worth being stranded on the side of the road and its def not worth pitching the boat off into the bushes... not to mention i usually drive home on sunday at 12-2pm which is like the hottest time of the day and tire pressures go sky high.

22Howard

Reaction score
I don't mean to steer the thread in another direction (it's kind of related) but why don't they balance trailer tires like they do on our cars and trucks? In other words, they don't balance them at all. They just mount the tire to the wheel and put it on the trailer. Why is that?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I always got my trailer tres balanced...

scottchbrite

Reaction score
i replace every 5 cracks or not. its just not worth being stranded on the side of the road and its def not worth pitching the boat off into the bushes... not to mention i usually drive home on sunday at 12-2pm which is like the hottest time of the day and tire pressures go sky high.

I agree. I lost a rear tire last weekend on my way home. Came apart and junked the fender too. It was 5 years old. It's getting 4 new tires and 2 new fenders now.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I don't mean to steer the thread in another direction (it's kind of related) but why don't they balance trailer tires like they do on our cars and trucks? In other words, they don't balance them at all. They just mount the tire to the wheel and put it on the trailer. Why is that?

better question is what tire store are you going to that DOESNT balance any tire? id stop going there...

ddevore

Reaction score
Mine are 2003's and have at least 5,000 miles in them. I just lost one tire awhile back.. I think it would've been fine but I towed it a little tongue high and didnt lower the hitch out of laziness so it out more pressure on the back tires..

I will say though I won't tow anything over 55 mph now.. Normally I would.

Out of curiosity what happened? 55 is golden when I'm towing heavy, but yanking my 21 I roll way over that :).

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Depends, if you are just running from your place in Havasu to Windsor or the Marina, hell use them until they don't hold air. But if you get out on the highway, I go 5 years max after I had a blow out on a 6 year old tire that looked new. Peeps got a lot of money rollin' down the road, why scrimp on tires.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Mine were balanced but then again I use car tires on my trailer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Out of curiosity what happened? 55 is golden when I'm towing heavy, but yanking my 21 I roll way over that :).

Spell correct on the phone is what happened.. Lol. That was supposed to say I won't tow this thing over 55 now (until I change the tires for clarification) normally I would..

Nothing happened.. With the triple axle you barely even feel it when you lose a tire. I have sensitive ass cheeks and felt a vibration so I stopped and saw one of the tires came apart.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Spell correct on the phone is what happened.. Lol. That was supposed to say I won't tow this thing over 55 now (until I change the tires for clarification) normally I would..

Nothing happened.. With the triple axle you barely even feel it when you lose a tire. I have sensitive ass cheeks and felt a vibration so I stopped and saw one of the tires came apart.

Not sure that I'll be able to NOT use this for sig material...........:D