WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer Tire Question

code8

Reaction score
Last week I was coming home from Havasu and my trailer tire blew. I changed it on the side of rice road (that was an adventure in itself as trucks were passing by me). The tires were Chinese made that were purchase at Big O tires. They were almost three years old, correctly inflated (maximum 50 pounds cold / I had them at 45 pounds) and the weather was hot that day, 110 degrees on the road.

As I did my research for new tires, I was told most of the trailer tires are poorly made and from China. I understand changing trailer tires should be done every 5 or more years. I was told by a tire shop that the Maxxis M8008 trailer tire was a good value. Anyone have any feedback on Maxxis tires? They are a little more in price but I'm willing to pay for a better quality tire. Also, any other recommendations on a trailer tire would help out.

Thanks,
-Anthony

trophybug19

Reaction score
I have the maxxis 8008 on my toy hauler. I did the research and 16" rims and LT tires were not in the budget. The Maxxis were highly recommended so I went with them. I have had them on my 21' toy hauler about 6000lbs empty (7500lbs loaded) for almost 3 years. I have had no issues so far and have done probably a dozen trips on them. It seems the consensus is 3 year tire life for a toy hauler so I will be keeping my eyes on them closely, but visually now they look to have a lot of life still in them.

code8

Reaction score
Do trailer tires really blow out after three years+. Seems that trailer tires are poorly made....... If anyone has any other recommendations on tires that would be helpful....

NicPaus

Reaction score
Do trailer tires really blow out after three years+ years. Seems that trailer tires are poorly made.......

The ones that come with new trailers are the cheapest the manufacturer can find. I have a pair of Maxxis on one of my dump trailers and they are holding up great and do not look low with a full load. If you can fit 16"s that is the route to go.

trophybug19

Reaction score
Do trailer tires really blow out after three years+. Seems that trailer tires are poorly made....... If anyone has any other recommendations on tires that would be helpful....

I think the issue is mostly with the bigger heavier trailers, but having a blowout is not something I want to deal with. All the research I did pointed to Maxxis being the absolute best trailer tire you could do with out going to a 16" rim and a light truck tire.

Sonic45SS

Reaction score
In my experience, You will usually find 3 different types of tires on a trailer. Car type, LT or light truck & actual trailer tires. Depending on who builds the trailer, weights involved etc, depends on what you will get when buying new and or used. A lot of guys and companies go the LT truck tire route. I prefer the actual trailer tire, from an American made well know tire company with a good track record and history.

Trailer specific tires have thicker side walls and better construction over car & LT tires. They are built specifically to handle the load, stresses and heat of trailering. Tires on a trailer undergo a lot of stress, and twisting action. Next time your turning sharply with your trailer, watch the tires and see how much abuse they take and how much the side wall flexes from being twisted & dragged ( make/type/manufacturer dependant ). This is why its suggested to change the tires every few years.

I just built a new Myco trailer for my boat ( pics in this forum under the custom/clean trailer thread ). Trailer specific tires were used. I wouldn't have it any other way. They are super heavy duty, long range heavy load 17.5" load range J tires with a 6000 pound rating per tire. It does make a diff on the type tire you use. The tires on my trailer are expensive..... very. But its worth the cost.

We all spend a lot of money and time on and with our boats. Why chance it and cheap out on anything but trailer tires ? Not worth it IMHO. Blow a tire or have the tread start to separate, it will beat the hell out of your boat, the fender and the trailer or worse. Not good to have a tire failure while towing at speeds. Get a good well known American made actual trailer tire with a good track record. No offshore or Chinese crap. Would you put Chinese or offshore crap in your engine or your boat ? Probably not. Have a good spare also.

I see a lot of guys going with cheap trailers too. Not a good choice either. A lot of money is sitting on them. Why not have a good trailer to support the hull properly, have the proper axles and bunk layout. Tie down points, Quality materials and construction and Proper brakes, etc..... Way too much at risk regarding the boat, but more importantly the people, family, loved ones riding with you while towing, not to mention everyone else around you.

Again, we all spend a lot of time and money with these toys, why not just do everything right. It only takes one time for a mishap and catastrophe. No sense in risking any of it IMHO.