WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer Wheel Bearings

Jimmy

Reaction score
There's a few good trailer threads going so I thought this would be a good one to throw in there.

Most boat trailer bearing failures happen when after driving to the lake the bearing gets warm and when u launch the boat the contracting metal, air, and lubricant can create a vacuum that is hopefully held by the seals. If the seals can't hold the vacuum, the bearing or sealed hub unit will suck in outside air, debris and water.
The old man used to do it every year, but I've been real slack and haven't done it for 2-3 years, so its on the list of jobs to do before next summer.

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/How-To/Trailer-Towing/Replacing-Trailer-Wheel-Bearings/134

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Nice thread about preventive maintenance. I don't know how many trailers on the side of the road we pass do to bearing failure when heading to or from the river

shunter2005

Reaction score
If you are going to clean and repack your bearings anyway, this might be a nice option. Air pressure to keep water out. Don't know anyone who uses them, but I like the concept. About $40 per axle, but should be a one time thing.

http://www.airtighthubs.com/products/index/9

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Excellent timing. This is a great time to bring up this topic.

Now is the time to repack your wheel bearings, replace your brake fluid, and fix all your wiring issues.

Most shops are slow right now, so they would love to service your trailer. :thumbsup

Jimmy

Reaction score
I run bearing Buddy's, they're a primitive auto greaser.
Grease has a limited life too, when it get hot it deteriorates.
Greases ain't Greases[emoji3] there's grease for pins and bushes (slow moving), then there's one for roller and needle bearings and uni joint (high speed).

Backlash

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this link JR!

Once we get through the holidays, I hope to sneak some time into my crazy schedule so I can get back to work on the boat and trailer. When I begin pulling things apart, I will update the "Budget Ellis Trailer Rejuvenation" thread and share my findings with you guys. ;)

It should be fun!

Henry

Jimmy

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this link JR!

Once we get through the holidays, I hope to sneak some time into my crazy schedule so I can get back to work on the boat and trailer. When I begin pulling things apart, I will update the "Budget Ellis Trailer Rejuvenation" thread and share my findings with you guys. ;)

It should be fun!

Henry
Its a good lil do-it-yaselfer. Just make sure u don't have any air pockets in the bearing and load the inside of the hub up too.
Any air in the hub or bearing will cause it to churn and get hot.
When ya all done reef on the wheel make sure there no play and the wheel spins freely. Like a good bearing the wheel will spin for a good minute.
If ya don't feel real confident in what you've done or it ya first time take it for a drive or after the first outting jack the wheel up again and reef on it again feel for play.