WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trailer with no VIN / whats the plan?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So the Daytona 21 I recently picked up has no trailer paperwork, everything on the boat paperwork is fine. Looks like it hasnt had the ownership transferred from the last few owners, and after stripping multiple layers of paint during the restoration there is no vin tag to be found.

Its a early 90's competitive brand, would a VIN be stamped somewhere on it or was the rivet on tag the norm (and thats not on there). Prior owner has tried to track down paperwork as well but to no avail.

So what is the process for getting this thing registered? I can do Arizona, California or Montana and I am a AAA member if they will make things easier. Im thinking I am going to have to get a new VIN number assigned to it. We are completely rebuilding the trailer so its as if I could say its a new build again and start from there.

farmo83

Reaction score
I registered mine with the Licence Plate as the VIN. Haven't ever had a problem.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
ive registered multiple home built trailers, pretty easy process. Or buy the cheapest trailer you can find on craigslist, take the plate and stamp the numbers onto your trailer, cut up old trailer and throw it in the dumpster. done both, only catch was the CHP was confused when i got pulled over for pulling a sand rail on a trailer registered as a 1980 pop up camper, guy was cool about and didnt hassle me just wrote me the fix it ticket for the trailer lights not working.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Stamp your own numbers and register it as home built.

KNOTONDUTY

Reaction score
Check inside the frame rail near the tongue. Sometimes there are stamped there or welded the numbers on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Check inside the frame rail near the tongue. Sometimes there are stamped there or welded the numbers on.

This. I had to have a guy registered with the state come out to my house and physically verify it.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Are they all stamped? I was looking at my Extreme trailer last season and there is a sticker towards the tongue that came from Extreme- assuming its the VIN # and trailer info but its impossible to read from being sun faded from all of the hot summers sitting in the parking lot at the launch ramp.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Don't forget too check the bottom of the c channel. Seen more then a few vins there.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Check carefully to see if there are any stamped numbers on the trailer. If there are weld them up and grind them down, paint the trailer so it looks new and then go to the DMV and register it as a new home made trailer. Easy to do.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Check carefully to see if there are any stamped numbers on the trailer. If there are weld them up and grind them down, paint the trailer so it looks new and then go to the DMV and register it as a new home made trailer. Easy to do.

Do this.

wzuber

Reaction score
I have built several trailers thru the years i.e. boat, car hauler, utility etc. all as home built. At that time (last one abt. 10 yrs ago +/-) the CA. DMV required proof of a few things regarding materials. It all had to be new verified by purchase receipts. New actuator, chassis steel mat. axles, etc. The DMV will issue you the vin number to be stamped into the trailer frame and direct where it is to stamped, what size #'s, letters etc. After being built and prior to paint I took them to the DMV for inspection and complete verification with new title, then I completed with painting.

My recommendation is this, go to the DMV and inquire what their current process is for a new home built trailer, then proceed as required. That will be the surest way to getter done with the least amount of grief and most assured approval process. If your existing trailer has stamped numbers the yes weld and grind in a manner that will not be visible/obvious when complete.

Should you end up buying another trailer to use as a vin donor etc. at least buy one that has the same basic equip. and use stated i.e. length, # axles, weight rating etc. you know, one that's appropriate for the application so you don't have to rely on the attitude of a L.E. ocifer to get away with a vin swap. The impound fees and recovery process of your boat AND trailer will certainly cost more than the alternative.
Good luck, I hope this is of some help to you.

wzuber

Reaction score
Don't forget too check the bottom of the c channel. Seen more then a few vins there.
correct, can be in multiple places as well such as tongue tube and frame rail etc. (similar to hull id #'s)

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I have a early 90’ competitive trailer and the vin is engraved on the inside of the frame Chanel up by the tongue....I just went through the process at mvd to get something vin assigned and registered. Took 3 trips. If you tell them you bought it from someone they will make you request a title and they will either need to get a notarized letter stating there is no title or you send a certified letter and they can refuse the letter so you can bring that in. Might be easiest to ask the requirements for a new build.

Dog boy

Reaction score
Walt, the trailer I just bought had no Vin and was registered as a home built in Texas,no title required to register there.I took it to AZ department of motor vehicles had to get a level two inspection show current registration and bill of sale signed by previous owner and they gave it a Vin number.Then I had to send a registered letter to the previous owner asking for a title which I already know there is no title. After I receive the signed receipt I have to wait fifteen day's to go back to DMV and they will assign a title and plates and I will have to show proof of purchase of a bond for the trailer thru my insurance co.Pain in the ass in Arizona but will be worked out.Hope you don't have to go thru a lot of hoops to get yours registered.

cofooter

Reaction score
Homemade, Montana may be least hassle........

shueman

Reaction score
Usually trailers have the VIN stamped elsewhere ... we take trailers to the DMV all the time to have VIN's confirmed, especially if the boat is coming from out-of-state. They suggested owners engrave their VIN on the trailer themselves as those "steekers" tend to wear out / fall off over time.

shueman

Reaction score
Walt, the trailer I just bought had no Vin and was registered as a home built in Texas,no title required to register there.I took it to AZ department of motor vehicles had to get a level two inspection show current registration and bill of sale signed by previous owner and they gave it a Vin number.Then I had to send a registered letter to the previous owner asking for a title which I already know there is no title. After I receive the signed receipt I have to wait fifteen day's to go back to DMV and they will assign a title and plates and I will have to show proof of purchase of a bond for the trailer thru my insurance co.Pain in the ass in Arizona but will be worked out.Hope you don't have to go thru a lot of hoops to get yours registered.

In Arizona, the trailer is the "lien carrier" so it has to have a good, tracable VIN#

Dog boy

Reaction score
In Arizona, the trailer is the "lien carrier" so it has to have a good, tracable VIN#
Gary,Had no vin when built in Texas.After level two inspection they issued a vin number and the rep. from law enforcement put a sticker on the trailer with the Az. Vin.

nowski

Reaction score
Is it possible your Competitive trailer had the Vin on one of these decals? Just a thought. I had Competitive make me another a few years ago, I just hope I put it in my safe deposit box...
Competitive Trailer.JPG

77charger

Reaction score
I gotta find my old trailer reg from trailer I cut up think I non op it in case I ever needed it

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I've heard of people using the same plate and reg for multiple trailers, only takes a minute to swap the plate......

Datboyronald

Reaction score
They make you take it to get a 68-a and it still has the name on the side “ big Tex “ should I remove that and register it as home made ? I mean they can tell it’s manufactured it’s like a difference between that and home made

84miller

Reaction score
I remember in CA, you can have the trailer inspected and get it registered by paying a bond fee. Its not much of a fee, or did not use to be...like couple hundred. It is not as challenging as would be expected.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I see you found the vin, its usually stamped on one rail between the axles as well. My 89 competitive is this way. Ill do some look and see if I can find the original conversation that said which side rail it was on. I'm thinking left......

Orange Juice

Reaction score
My trailer mfg use a serial # stamped into the rear axles.

Mototrig

Reaction score
Can you still do that these days ? I just bought a 2018 big Tex no vin or title just bill of sale what do I do ?
Last year I stamped my own using a cheap stamp set from harbor freight. California requires the vin to be stamped somewhere on the trailer for you to register it.
AAA bought off on it when they inspected my completive trailer. I stamped the VIN near the tongue latch. Good luck

rrrr

Reaction score
Harbor Freight has the answer, $14.99.

63677_I.jpg

ridebig

Reaction score
I don't think it's the same ownership but Competitive Trailers is now located in Havasu.
1520 Corona Dr. unit B 86403.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Are they all stamped? I was looking at my Extreme trailer last season and there is a sticker towards the tongue that came from Extreme- assuming its the VIN # and trailer info but its impossible to read from being sun faded from all of the hot summers sitting in the parking lot at the launch ramp.

There is a stamped plate welded on the underneath of the center support tube about a foot or so past the tongue area. This was the way it was done on my Extreme.

However CA will not register it unless there is a MFG Sticker so I had to pester the shit out of Lippert / Zieman and pay $35 to get one.

If there is no vin the CHP can affix a plate and call the trailer home made. I did this years ago on a motorcycle trailer I made from a kit.