WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trans Am - Best Racing Series Ever!

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
As a young teen I was a car and racing fanatic. While my dad was more of a foreign sports car fan, I was a hot rod / muscle car guy. Trans Am brought both of those together with American iron running on all road courses. Strong factory teams with top drivers and even competitive independents made for very exciting racing.

Because the cars were relatively stock, fans could really identify with their particular brand forming strong alliances. I think NASCAR should take a look back and go this route. Imagine slightly modified (mainly for safety) new Mustangs, Challengers and Camaro's (Sorry Toyota, you're SOL!) running all the NASCAR tracks? All three manufacturers have engines with plenty of power in stock form and great suspensions so only mods allowed might be open exhaust, shocks, springs, sway bars and of course, racing tires.

This would reduce costs immensely and increase popularity. Maybe even increase sales for manufacturers (win on Sunday, sell on Monday).

bocco

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Turning a 4 door front wheel drive car in to a 2 door rear wheel drive car should not be allowed.

rrrr

Reaction score
Here's a couple of links to posts I've made about my racing buddy Ronnie Kaplan and his involvement in the history of the Trans Am series. Ronnie had a real gift for making race cars haul ass.

rush1

Reaction score
I completely agree love the trans am series, ,you're right it would make nascar great again

poncho

Reaction score
As a young teen I was a car and racing fanatic. While my dad was more of a foreign sports car fan, I was a hot rod / muscle car guy. Trans Am brought both of those together with American iron running on all road courses. Strong factory teams with top drivers and even competitive independents made for very exciting racing.

Because the cars were relatively stock, fans could really identify with their particular brand forming strong alliances. I think NASCAR should take a look back and go this route. Imagine slightly modified (mainly for safety) new Mustangs, Challengers and Camaro's (Sorry Toyota, you're SOL!) running all the NASCAR tracks? All three manufacturers have engines with plenty of power in stock form and great suspensions so only mods allowed might be open exhaust, shocks, springs, sway bars and of course, racing tires.

This would reduce costs immensely and increase popularity. Maybe even increase sales for manufacturers (win on Sunday, sell on Monday).

Just watched a biography on Willie T the other night on Netflix, those cars were Bad Ass

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
It is by far my favorite period in race car history 60s and very early 70s with TA being my favorite. Basically hopped up street cars. I started a build on a 67 Mustang to a clone of the car below. Got way out of hand and I put the kabosh on it. Will try again after our move back to Vegas when money and time allows.

Honestly, I don't think there is much out there better looking or cooler than a 67 Trans Am Mustang.
224380_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

sirbob

Reaction score
Just watched a biography on Willie T the other night on Netflix, those cars were Bad Ass

I heard abut it but have not watched it yet - Did they show or talk about his time driving a Toyota? I know some people that helped run those cars for him, both the Celica and the GTP cars he drove back then - none of the Indy car stuff.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I love this idea. I think Dodge would need to come out with a new Challenger to get on a competitive level, the current car is on a 90's E-class benz chassis and it weighs +500lbs on the Camaro / Mustang. It has plenty of horsepower, but it's a big body car to throw around the track against the other offerings

spectras only

Reaction score

I sure am missing the good ol' Westwood days. Now it's golfcourse and large homes replaced the scenic area. :(

Now it's happening at Mission Raceway, still better than nothing
20151011_105015.jpg

Last edited:

rightytighty

Reaction score
I heard abut it but have not watched it yet - Did they show or talk about his time driving a Toyota? I know some people that helped run those cars for him, both the Celica and the GTP cars he drove back then - none of the Indy car stuff.

yes- and how it was real personal to beat Rousch while in the Toyota.

BONER

Reaction score
I'm a little bit more of a 90's TransAm Fan, myself. Tube Chassis, 2600lbs, 8300rpm V8's, and a 14 in rear Slick. Some of the fastest closed wheeled cars, still to this day.
mustang_transam_1998_01.jpg

Wayn-o

Reaction score
I'm a little bit more of a 90's TransAm Fan, myself. Tube Chassis, 2600lbs, 8300rpm V8's, and a 14 in rear Slick. Some of the fastest closed wheeled cars, still to this day. View attachment 852922

Me too - the days of Scott Sharp, Dorsey Schrader, Tommy Kendall, Ron Fellows, Paul Gentilozzi. That was Trans Am racing for me.

BONER

Reaction score
Me too - the days of Scott Sharp, Dorsey Schrader, Tommy Kendall, Ron Fellows, Paul Gentilozzi. That was Trans Am racing for me.

Some of the best rolled through that Series for sure. 👍

As much of a Fan I am of acceleration, my favorite part of watching these cars in person, was watching them in the Brake Zones. Only cars I've seen shut down harder, were Champ Cars, and the C6R.

Last edited: