WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trans fluid on turbo 400

Rjt01

Reaction score
Been doing research on why fluid to run on my TH 400 and have had a lot of mixed reviews. What are u guys running and why ??? Thanks

welldigger00

Reaction score
We run Swepco hydraulic transmission fluid in the trophy truck, and I run it in my boat as well. It handles heat better than anything else. All last week at the Norra off-road race we were continually seeing 280 temps on the trans, and the oil is still bright red.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rjt01

Reaction score
We run Swepco hydraulic transmission fluid in the trophy truck, and I run it in my boat as well. It handles heat better than anything else. All last week at the Norra off-road race we were continually seeing 280 temps on the trans, and the oil is still bright red.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks bro , not worried with temp as my trans oil cooler works bitchin but will give it a try

BamBam

Reaction score
Thanks bro , not worried with temp as my trans oil cooler works bitchin but will give it a try
Just food for thought but the torque converter is where most of the heat is produced in an automatic transmission. Since there are no torque converters in our boats, they do not see the same temps as a wheeled vehicle. Coolers are nice but essentially overkill in a boat (I run one anyway though). I run Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic in my TH400. It always comes back out red.

Rjt01

Reaction score
Keep em coming lol , pulling the motor out for oil change and resealing my prop guard and going to change out the filter on the trans . All of it was rebuilt last year and has about 15hrs run time . Want to have a good summer lol . Just love how easy and fast it is to pull everything out on my boat .

Reaction score
X2 on swepco 714. Great stuff and what I run . Probably a bit overkill

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Been doing research on why fluid to run on my TH 400 and have had a lot of mixed reviews. What are u guys running and why ??? Thanks
Here are your choices as of 1/14/20
1) Swepco -------------four
2) Valvoline Max Life--two
3) type F---------------two
4) Mobil 1--------------one
All have great results, no one has stated bad reviews on any fluids

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
What’s your best practice of checking fluid levels in the 400? Same as a truck? Idle in neutral?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Also they don't make a ton of heat in a boat since you are running in high the majority of the time which is a straight clutch lock, no gear loading, it's power in one end and straight out the other.

We have run straight old Valvoline Dex Merc for years, i think at some point the transmission guy we were using recommended FA fluid, which we used as well. TH-400s don't give you a ton of trouble in a boat even with big power, the offroad world is wayyyyy harder on them because of the time spent in 1st and 2nd gear, and the constant shock loads.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I dont know if it helps, but when I shift from second to third getting on plane I always lift the throttle for a second.

Second though on 400’s. I had a 400 lock up the bearing in the tail. @BoostPower recommends adding an oil line in and out of the tail so that bearing gets lubed and stays cool. Mine was so hot it almost melted my back seat before it gave up the ghost. Ruined a polished case. That was an expensive day. [emoji1418]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know if it helps, but when I shift from second to third getting on plane I always lift the throttle for a second.

Second though on 400’s. I had a 400 lock up the bearing in the tail. @BoostPower recommends adding an oil line in and out of the tail so that bearing gets lubed and stays cool. Mine was so hot it almost melted my back seat before it gave up the ghost. Ruined a polished case. That was an expensive day. [emoji1418]

Yes or keep trans temps and fluids in order

Sent from my Efi Beacon!

sintax

Reaction score

yup, that was a common upgrade i've seen.

Eliminator21vdrive

Reaction score
No converter=no fluid shearing and heat. regular Valvoline for 27 years same trans.