WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trans Time

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
My son's trans in his 2007 Silverado 1500 with about 150,000 miles is acting up, his friend's dad is a mechanic and said that a remanufactured GM unit (4L60e) will run him about $3,000 installed. To me that seems kind of high. I looked on the GM engine and trans website and the trans is about $2000. Another $1000 for install seems a little high and he needs it for 5 days.

Is that the going rate now? The last time I had a trans done was in 97 and it was a 700R4 and that was about $1200 for a factory reman unit. What do you guys think?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It can be done cheaper than that. But $3k is not a rip off considering it is the GM reman.

If it were me, buy a donor trans for a couple hundred, take it to a shop, have it rebuilt, swap it in. That will be cheaper than $3k.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
It can be done cheaper than that. But $3k is not a rip off considering it is the GM reman.

If it were me, buy a donor trans for a couple hundred, take it to a shop, have it rebuilt, swap it in. That will be cheaper than $3k.
I was thinking that, but he's going through the fire academy now and can't miss a day and we both think his trans is on borrowed time right now. The 5 days seems excessive - with proper tools and a lift I wouldn't think it shouldn't take more than 4 hours.

fmo24

Reaction score
Try Leon’s Transmission. They have several shops in OC and the valley

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Give Harrels Trans a call . They are on arrow in Covina. I hit him up about my 07 sub as a “what if” and pretty sure it was a lot less.

Ive only used him for service and all was good. He was recommended to me as well.

Reactions: D19

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I was thinking that, but he's going through the fire academy now and can't miss a day and we both think his trans is on borrowed time right now. The 5 days seems excessive - with proper tools and a lift I wouldn't think it shouldn't take more than 4 hours.

I’d find another shop. If they are buying the trans, it should be in and out in a day.

There you go. $800 for rebuilt trans with exchange, $300 for install. Same day servicio available, and in Ontario.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ptd/d/ontario-chevy-gm-transmission-tahoe/6990971339.html

They say 2 year warranty. Expect it to last 2 years and 2 days.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Not a bad idea. Even if the shop that rebuilds does the R&R you'd still be money ahead. And yes, 5 days is very excessive for a Max 6 hour job.

For reference, I had my '01 rebuilt (same trans) like a brick shithouse (2nd time it shit the bed) for $3600. The shop owner guaranteed it for up to 500hp with the lift and 35" tires. And, he had it for about a week cause he had to order parts as needed. Not many local suppliers around the Central coast.

I'd talk to a couple shops about rebuilding. The 4L69's are a known weak link but can be easily and cheaply upgraded to last.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Might check out a new GM replacement so you'll also receive 100k mile warranty. My 2003 Yukon XL was $2500 about 2 years ago.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
I’d find another shop. If they are buying the trans, it should be in and out in a day.

There you go. $800 for rebuilt trans with exchange, $300 for install. Same day servicio available, and in Ontario.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ptd/d/ontario-chevy-gm-transmission-tahoe/6990971339.html

They say 2 year warranty. Expect it to last 2 years and 2 days.

It looks shiny and clean too!

00w0w_9UJGH2bPszJ_600x450.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
What exactly is "acting up"? What symptoms does it have? When was the last trans service? By 07 the sun shell had been upgraded, those broke and no go. Usually a stocker just slipping a little is worn clutch packs going into OD first. Try driving it in tow/haul. If it feels way better, that's your problem. Tow/haul ramps the line pressure a little, and stretches the shifts out longer. It will give more clamping power on worn frictions.

If the truck is a 4x4, 3k is about the going shop cost with a GM reman. You can do it on a Saturday in a driveway with a buddy or a tranny jack. Been there, done that. If you do a tranny, get a new converter too. Lock up converters have a clutch in them that wears too. You can't successfully clean them out completely either.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
What exactly is "acting up"? What symptoms does it have? When was the last trans service? By 07 the sun shell had been upgraded, those broke and no go. Usually a stocker just slipping a little is worn clutch packs going into OD first. Try driving it in tow/haul. If it feels way better, that's your problem. Tow/haul ramps the line pressure a little, and stretches the shifts out longer. It will give more clamping power on worn frictions.

If the truck is a 4x4, 3k is about the going shop cost with a GM reman. You can do it on a Saturday in a driveway with a buddy or a tranny jack. Been there, done that. If you do a tranny, get a new converter too. Lock up converters have a clutch in them that wears too. You can't successfully clean them out completely either.
He says it's shifting really hard from first to second then it's hanging in 2nd. When he's in 4th he has to smash the accelerator to get it to downshift. In the old days that would be a valve body, but we're both afraid of a valve body redo and a flush might dislodge some dirt keeping the thing operating. In these new electronic controlled transmissions I don't know if it's just a valve body going through or a whole trans rebuild. 150,000 miles is pretty much the life expectancy of these transes from what I have heard.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Give Harrels Trans a call . They are on arrow in Covina. I hit him up about my 07 sub as a “what if” and pretty sure it was a lot less.

Ive only used him for service and all was good. He was recommended to me as well.
Harrell's is $2k with a 3 year/50k mile warranty and 2 days for a rebuild. He's on the top of the list.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Call Mike Lovrich at Inglewood trans.

714-870-7301

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lebel409

Reaction score
Call Robin at Foothill Transmission, on Foothill near Garey (behind the Weineschitzel). Honest and reasonable.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Following for shop recommendations. The 4R100 in the Moho is acting/sounding funny and am prepping for the inevitable....

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
He says it's shifting really hard from first to second then it's hanging in 2nd. When he's in 4th he has to smash the accelerator to get it to downshift. In the old days that would be a valve body, but we're both afraid of a valve body redo and a flush might dislodge some dirt keeping the thing operating. In these new electronic controlled transmissions I don't know if it's just a valve body going through or a whole trans rebuild. 150,000 miles is pretty much the life expectancy of these transes from what I have heard.
Get a scan tool on it. It could be something as simple as a TPS or VSS. If the buddy's dad has access to one, it will usually show what's going on. It could be in limp mode due to something major, like the clutches being worn, or minor, like not getting all it's info. The trans goes into limp mode and keeps line pressure up, to make the clutches grab quicker...If the clutches are really worn, the ecu determines how long it takes to shift. If it takes too long, because there is too much gap, it will go into limp mode and give full line pressure. If it is getting a goofy reading from a sensor, it will do the same so it doesn't burn up the clutches. At 150k, could be either. They're pretty decent light duty transmissions. It's basically a computer controlled 700r. The advantage being they're self adjusting, and no mechanical governors or throttle valve cable.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
Robin is good people and has been there for a long time -Foothill trans
Harrels trans again has been there forever -

I have been dealing with both shops for years
i would go with who ever gave the better warranty

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score

714-870-7301

He’s my Allison guy. If He was closer I’d check with him, but he’s probably much higher than the other local guys.

77charger

Reaction score

714-870-7301

Had him rebuild my 4l80 in my 2500hd cost me 2900. It's. 4wd and I thought price was fair plus he's got a good reputation and close to me.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I just talked to a guy and he said these transmissions have a ton a issues from the factory that need to be fixed. The dealer is about $3K but you end up with the same shitty transmission. This guy recommended letting him build me one with all the issues fixed for about the same money.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I just talked to a guy and he said these transmissions have a ton a issues from the factory that need to be fixed. The dealer is about $3K but you end up with the same shitty transmission. This guy recommended letting him build me one with all the issues fixed for about the same money.

Those same shitty factory transmissions usually run 150k+ miles :D
Most builders have a statement about those shitty factory transmissions that substantiates going with their trans for the same price, with upgrades. Then you look at what they are usually upgrading and it is only $200 worth of better parts and the same cost as a factory unit with 100k mile warranty ("beast" sun shell, corvette servo, better friction materials / clutch packs). Trannies live and die by assembly clearances and tolerances. I'd take a factory assembled new trans over a no-name updrade / rebuild unless I knew the rebuilder well.

There is a guy in Reseda that builds a great trans - Rebs Specialties. i've had him rebuild everything from my 48RE in my 2500 Cummins, to my 4l60E in my El Camino, and they have always been perfect. Last I checked he was around $1200 for a rebuild and 450 + fluids for install for a 4l60.

D19

Reaction score
Had an 08 Tahoe (same trans). Harrells Trans in Covina off Arrow HWY and Grand rebuilt mine for about $2400.

Sarah and Louie at Custom Truck referred me.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Most shops all have access to the same suppliers. There are "correction" kits, not shift kits, that fix the little issues that hurt the trans and it's reputation. They only cost about 40$, and worth it. Shift kits without tune and you get check engine lights, but the correction kits are a must for anything you plan on keeping.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Those same shitty factory transmissions usually run 150k+ miles :D
Most builders have a statement about those shitty factory transmissions that substantiates going with their trans for the same price, with upgrades. Then you look at what they are usually upgrading and it is only $200 worth of better parts and the same cost as a factory unit with 100k mile warranty ("beast" sun shell, corvette servo, better friction materials / clutch packs). Trannies live and die by assembly clearances and tolerances. I'd take a factory assembled new trans over a no-name updrade / rebuild unless I knew the rebuilder well.

There is a guy in Reseda that builds a great trans - Rebs Specialties. i've had him rebuild everything from my 48RE in my 2500 Cummins, to my 4l60E in my El Camino, and they have always been perfect. Last I checked he was around $1200 for a rebuild and 450 + fluids for install for a 4l60.

Sure they last a while but perform like shit for their entire life. I hate the trans in my 08 GMC. It’s been horrible from day one. The tow haul button is completely worthless. It flat out won’t shift in tow haul mode. Shifts really hard first to second. Etc etc. I don’t want that again

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
The one benefit to a trans sourced from the dealer is ease of warranty, if anything ever happens while it is under warranty, he can take it to the closest dealer, get a loaner, and keep on travelling.

I have worked with many transmission shops, the highly reputable ones with a warranty that matches or exceeds the factory reman is unusual, and usually they are more than the cost of the dealer, if they improve it or bulletproof it.

Many companies I have tried don't seem to get the kind of mileage out of the trans as the original, sure it makes it out of warranty, but it's a hard sell to me to explain why the original went 150k, and the "completely" reman one went 70k..if that.

Just for shits and giggles Nodata says 5.5 hours for 2wd and 8 for 4x4 with the 4L60E, last time I checked list was around $1800.

So even at my rapes rate of 135 it's 1080 for labor, 1800, parts , 157.50 tax and probably 100 for oil and odds and ends.

$3137.50 out the door. Sounds about right if it's a 4x4.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sure they last a while but perform like shit for their entire life. I hate the trans in my 08 GMC. It’s been horrible from day one. The tow haul button is completely worthless. It flat out won’t shift in tow haul mode. Shifts really hard first to second. Etc etc. I don’t want that again
Thats usually the factory tune irritating you, not the trans