WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Transom repair LHC

Ultra912

Reaction score
My transom cracked this weekend and obviously water had been rotting it for a long time. Need a repair shop in LHC. Ron's fiberglass repair? Open ears

009.jpg

017.jpg

011.jpg

016.jpg

Ultra912

Reaction score
There was a piece of anodized aluminum over the seam of the deck lid at the splash bin. The small hoes drilled onto the top was where the aluminum was attached so all the water had been entering at the seam for years,,,I guess.
When the transom was drilled for the motor bracket the holes were not sealed with silicon. When the floor and stringers were replaced,
the inside of the transom was strengthened with fiberglass mats and I can't find any damage to the interior side of the transom. The water dripping slowly at the drain plug (bottom pictures) looks just like coffee. It continued to drip two hours after removing the plug at the launch

012.jpg

009.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 220

kiethco

Reaction score
I had a very similar issue last Memorial day weekend, taking on water and transom was toast. I took it to Rusty at Ultra Boats. He fixed it better than new, it looked so studly when he was done and all the rigging was much improved.

Ultra912

Reaction score
great. he repaired the hull on my ultra shadow

Ultra912

Reaction score
Rusty just repaired my gel coat underneath the center of my 23 Shadow. Any others for a second opine?

Backlash

Reaction score
So-Cal Speed and Marine just relocated to LHC. Give them a call.

Silicone has been used for years in the marine industry as a sealing product but it doesn't hold up. That's not the product to use for these applications. In my opinion, the holes where the bracket is bolted to the hull needs to be sleeved with a thick fiberglass sleeve. Doing that will protect the core from water intrusion if it's done properly. Even if water were to seep past the sealant on the exterior of the hull, it would simply roll down into the bilge to be pumped out. The problem is it takes a lot longer to do the transom this way which is why people typically don't do it.

Another option for you is to redo the transom using Coosa board instead of plywood. It won't absorb water so you could just drill the transom and bolt everything up and not worry about water intrusion.

Nordic does a lot of work with composite panels so they could probably do the transom work for you too.

Reaction score
I know 5200 makes a mess but I don't understand why any boat builder would not use it. I have done a few transom replacements and it sucks ass. Good luck with the rebuild.

Ultra912

Reaction score
Dropped her off today at Ultra for the work. I've asked for progress photos so I'll post them as I get em. I'm only in Havasu every other wknd

Ultra912

Reaction score
Pickin er up Saturday from Ultra. Much stronger than new, actually, not even comparable. Floor, stringers, transom and carpet all replaced and beefed up with new diagonal braces tied to the new stringers. It wasn't built with braces from Charger. Battery relocated. Eliminated the water pickup speedo and replaced with GPS. Motor bracket powder coated. Trim plates re-mounted. I must say, I'm fuckin excited.

Backlash

Reaction score
Sorry for the thread hijack but.....

Boat527 THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate the reference to my never-ending and somewhat stalled project. Thank you for the kind words! I really need to get started on that again once Amy and I get married and return from our honeymoon! ;) Thanks for the motivation!

Ultra912

Reaction score
Ultra finished the boat. Rusty did a great job and it's 10 times more structurally sound than new.
New floor
Stringers
Carpeting
Transom braces connected to stringers and transom. Charger didn't build the hull with these
Transom filled with fiberglass
Battery relocated
New gel coat on transom closing the seam of the hull and deck
Powder coated motor bracket

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg