WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Transom/tiedown straps: yes or no

22Howard

Reaction score
Do you use boat transom tie down straps while towing? If not, why not?

The trailer on my old boat had tiedown points welded on for strapping the boat down. My current boat trailer does not have any provision for strapping the boat down to the trailer. To be honest, there is not anything strong enough to attach to on the transom that would hold the boat to the trailer in the event of an accident etc. It seems that the boat and trailer should be "attached" to one another more soundly than most of them seem to be.

tunnel vision

Reaction score
Some insurance companies will void your insurance if you don't have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
hell yes. even a giant boat on a trailer will move around. will they absolutely prevent the boat from leaving the trailer in the event of an accident? maybe, maybe not, but why take the chance of having a 2-5000 pound missile behind you?

charlyox

Reaction score
I always use them. Have you seen some of the pics posted on here of people that didn't use them? It only takes a minute to put them on.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Using them also prevents spider web cracking in gel toward the bottom of transom from bouncing on the trailer.

Caydens Cat

all I got was a t-shirt
Reaction score
Absolutely! That's what they are meant for.

You tie down the bow, right?

GregG

Reaction score
Yep, be sure to use them. Cheap safety measure like clipping the lanyard.

spectras only

Reaction score
Using them also prevents spider web cracking in gel toward the bottom of transom from bouncing on the trailer.

It also saves the bunks/fasteners from getting hammered each time the boat bouncing off the trailer.

This was my old trailer with cheapo straps.My new trailer has loops to attach the hooks but I opted for the retractable straps that's bolted on the trailer. It's pretty cheap for a pair and good insurance.

Exhaust%20project%20complete

Last edited:

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
The correct answer is "yes" use them.

But, I admit, I hauled my boat 1800 miles with just a bow strap and safety chain, and I've also hauled another boat from HB to AZ without transom straps, and that one didn't have motors:yikes

LB247XS

Reaction score
Always use them

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381533156303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381533156303.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 87
Reaction score
Always use them

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free

To hold down the boat? :headscratch:

I'll bet those straps (and hardware), at best are rated 500lbs each. :eek

That rating above would only apply for approximately 6 months, stored in an outside condition, then drop off quickly to less than 250lb rating do to age of fabric.

Might as well tie that boat down with dental floss, because those straps will pop, just before the hardware and the 1/4" steel frame they are attached to come apart.

Or, continue to think those straps are going to do anything:D

Those with a small boat on a single axle trailer, the rig is unstable to start with. The weight of the boat is much less, meaning the straps rated at 500 lb each "might" hold the boat on the trailer during a sudden stop or roll over.;)

Last edited:

Deano

Reaction score
To hold down the boat? :headscratch:

I'll bet those straps (and hardware), at best are rated 500lbs each. :eek

That rating above would only apply for approximately 6 months, stored in an outside condition, then drop off quickly to less than 250lb rating do to age of fabric.

Might as well tie that boat down with dental floss, because those straps will pop, just before the hardware and the 1/4" steel frame they are attached to come apart.

Or, continue to think those straps are going to do anything:D

Those with a small boat on a single axle trailer, the rig is unstable to start with. The weight of the boat is much less, meaning the straps rated at 500 lb each "might" hold the boat on the trailer during a sudden stop or roll over.;)

OR you could look at it as the straps holding the trailer to the boat...

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I always use them. My boat doesnt have an area to attach to so I attach them to the jackplate.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
If you don't use them your boat will have stress cracks on the back corners from bouncing if you tow any distance.