WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trash can trolls - ???

sirbob

Reaction score
We put our trash out on Sunday night for pick up Monday.

We have a very regular group that works the neighborhood to steal all the plastic bottles from the trash and take them to get money for recycling. I can leave it out on Sunday - I can leave it out on Monday - I can leave it out 10 min before the trash truck comes, but no matter what, these folks seem to always get all our bottles before the truck picks it up.

I HATE PEOPLE GOING THROUGH MY TRASH EVERY WEEK!

I get that they are trying to scrape together the money they need. I appreciate the fact that they are working very hard for very little money and I'm sure they need it. I don't think they are bad people... I just don't like my trash being rummaged through every week.

Im sure some will think it's fair game once it's out on the curb.

I have 2 problems with them stealing my trash.

1) I hate people going through my trash every week.
2) I really feel like my garage pick up rates are based on the money they get from recycling and once its in the trash can and on the curb its owned by CR&R. I have to assume long term this could effect my rate???

I've tried to actually talk to them when they are doing it - but (surprise) they don't speak english and just look right through me. They are in a zone and only see bottles - its like I'm not even standing there in front of them.

Just checking to see if I am an ass? Or does everybody want people going through their trash every week?

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Once I put something in the trash, I don’t give a crap what happens to it.

As long as the trash is in the can, and not strewn all over the place, when they’re done rummaging, have at it [emoji106]

I have limited fucks to give...and the fewer fucks spent on things like my trash, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Icky

Reaction score
Call the non emergency number, the police will come and harass them

sirbob

Reaction score
Once I put something in the trash, I don’t give a crap what happens to it.

As long as the trash is in the can, and not strewn all over the place, when they’re done rummaging, have at it [emoji106]

I have limited fucks to give...and the fewer fucks spent on things like my trash, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I get it - I feel the same about most things...

But they do leave the lid open some times and papers blow out - or if there was packing material it ends up in the street because they dug through to get to the bottles and spilled it.

Call the non emergency number, the police will come and harass them

As much as I hate it - I don't want to make it a Police matter.

Id rather have a stink bomb that goes off if you open the lid!:)

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It used to bother me but instead I've told our local midnite recycler I'll put the good stuff on top for him so he doesn't have to dig. It's the noise that bugged me the most. My trash/recycle bins are 100% personal info free.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I place all of my dog poop in the trash. No bag, just toss it on top of what is in the can already. If you want it bad enough to go through my dogs poop, have at it!

Best thread resolution of 2020 so far.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Package up the stuff they want separately and put it out for them. If they want it that bad at least make everyones lives easier.

RD

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I see that crap going on every week. I’m able to put the trash after they make their rounds. On word of advice.... Make sure and shred everything with your personal info, including mailing labels. A lot of my neighbors have had their identities stolen. Don’t want to put the blame on anyone but better cautious than sorry.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I stopped putting out the trash early when they started making a mess of the trash and I had to clean it up. So I don’t put out the trash until I hear the truck on its way down the street. If they respected the fact that someone has to clean up after them I wouldn’t care. It is just the wife and I so we don’t have much trash and we don’t have much in the way of recyclables. Maybe a couple of cans each week.

3.Slow

Reaction score
We have the same thing happening, if I see it, i go out and say something, it seems to have deterred them to some extent. They are loud, they pour out liquids into the street before smashing the bottles/cans into their bicycle trailer and I'm pretty sure it is illegal. There was a news story on how much money Waste Management and the like are losing to these people. I am just generally not comfortable with people roaming my street who have no business being there, our group mailboxes have been broken into multiple times so I have no issue calling the cops on suspicious individuals.
-rant over

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Happens in our condo complex and it bugs me too! We also have people who put trash in ours:mad: Pisses off my husband so much that now he puts it out in the morning however a few times when I want to put trash in an hour or so later, it’s full of someone elses:mad:
Last year someone cut up their Christmas tree and put half of in our recycle bin! I took it out cuz I had trash to put in. WE pay for the service so stay away from our cans!!!:D
Plus, we recycle all plastics and cans so there really isn’t anything of value.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
You think these fukers will stop at digging through your trash cans? They’ll take anything that’s not bolted down. Probably lift your door handle to see if it’s unlocked too. Not all, but some.

Make sure your personal info is shredded, unless you want to give them your latest credit card deal. I see them at 4:00am digging through cans. They don’t care what mess or noise they make. It’s all about them.

Nordie

Reaction score
I had/have this problem, I understand that once it hits the street there ain't no stopping it. I'll chase of the no speakas if I see them. Where I had the problem was this one fucker was walking on my property and taking my trash cans out to the street for my cans. I get it my trash cans are a gold mine but going on my property is crossing the line. 2 weeks of having a cable lock on them put a stop to that, and if I ever caught that guy in person I would throw his bike in the dumpster.

2Driver

Reaction score
Stuff that goes on routinely that I had no idea took place.

River Runnin

Reaction score
I'd be make'n up some of the nastiest Stink bait, and give'n them the juicy sauce to dig through! ;) o_O

500bbc

Reaction score
Package up the stuff they want separately and put it out for them. If they want it that bad at least make everyones lives easier.

RD
Won't matter, my wife tried this. The second, third and fourth bum will still dig though the cans to make sure nothing is missed.
50% of the time they leave trash in the street, the dogs hear them at all hours and go nuts, their hooptie's all need new exhaust systems.
They also scramble all the trash, recycle bin and green waste containers, they take the general trash out, rummage through it and place it in the green waste bin while going through next bag.
It's a least four waves the day before trash pickup.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Isn't this a boating web site??? Are we really talking about trash cans being rummaged through? LOL

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Isn't this a boating web site??? Are we really talking about trash cans being rummaged through? LOL

Most of the trash I put out is generated on my boat. I guess that I can leave the trash on the lake. :looking:

gqchris

Reaction score
I'm just grateful that I'm not the one that has to dig thru the cans.

It reminds me when I was down in Mexico and the belt on my pants broke from just being worn. The buckle came off. I asked the server where the closest store was and she pointed me the directions. She then asked if its OK if she had the broken belt, because her husband needed one and he would fix it. I said "of course" and handed it to her. But it always stuck with me very strongly and I feel so grateful every time Im reminded of it.

rrrr

Reaction score
Package up the stuff they want separately and put it out for them. If they want it that bad, at least make everyones' lives easier.

RD

I routinely leave stuff in the alley for the guys that prowl neighborhoods in decrepit old pickups looking for things they can sell to support their families. If I see them, I'll give them a bottle of water out of my garage fridge and say hello.

It can be anything. Recently I've put out a blown water heater, some old but serviceable wood furniture, and other odds and ends. The big one was in December, when I had a tree service cut down the 50' tall 40 year old elm tree in my front yard and remove half a dozen 12” diameter oak limbs encroaching on my yard from next door. One of them was about to snap, and it was directly over my master bedroom. The lesbian neighbor wouldn't pay a penny to help out on the cost, which let me know I'll be paying to replace the fence when the time comes.

The City of Plano will remove yard debris on the first Monday of the month if it's not an excessive amount (they don't say what "excessive" is), is placed in the alley, cut in pieces no longer than 2½', and small diameter branches are bundled with twine. Because I took the chance the city would take the wood, enough to fill a 26’ stakebed, the tree guy cut $200 from his price by shredding everything under 4" in diameter and hauling it away, and cutting the rest into 2½' pieces and stacking them against my 7' tall cedar fence along my 75' X 3' easement adjoining the alley.

He had wanted $1,400 for the job, and dropped another $100 because I gave him $1,100 cash. The elm tree trunk was about 2½' in diameter, and in total there was at least three cords of wood.

A couple of days later, a guy knocked on my door and asked if he could take some of the wood, and I told him he was welcome to as much as he could haul away. That afternoon, he showed up with three beater pickups and five other guys, all black fellas that looked to be over forty, and damn hard workers.

I left to run some errands, returned about four hours later, and every bit of the wood was gone. They even raked the easement and swept the alley. I figured they would get $500 for the wood if they had a splitter. That's not much money for five guys, three trucks, and at least three full days of work.

Supporting the people that are on the fringes of the economy is better than ignoring their existence and allowing politicians to make the problem worse.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
As long as its on the street and thry dont make a mess i could carrless.

Reactions: ssc

ssc

Reaction score
I got more important things to worry about. If they make a mess, then it aggravates me. This is why I shred most everything important.

Cheers, Steve

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
They don’t have recycling here in the keys. There’s an old man that does maintenance for the association and cleans the trash area. He goes through all the trash you leave, and all the renters leave and I’m guessing he gets quite a bit of aluminum cans. Doesn’t bother me one bit. I don’t have anything in that trash that I would care about. The raccoons go through the cans at night, the old man goes through them during the day. He also keeps the area clean and uses a hose to wash the area off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River Runnin

Reaction score
Stink Bait! .... But it all leads to boating one way or another! ... Trolling for ideas, Bait'n the hook for shit pickers, maybe even a spring loaded pie-plate full of chum! -- For a Surprise hit! :)

DLC

Reaction score
I just read every word from 33 posts about trash can trolls.

I need to get my bicycle trailer ready for the morning tomorrow is trash day!!!!
lol

I bring home my aluminum cans and give em to my house keeper, she gets about 2 full bags a month from me. I used to give them to the neighbor kid but he went away to college.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
@sirbob

Motion activated sprinkler.

PB0033A_cat_spray_jet_repeller_9696-2.jpg

X Hoser

Reaction score
Worked for a H/VAC company for a while as a side job. Put the old units we pulled out and placed them on the curb. Told the homeowner if they weren't gone by morning we would come back and haul them away. Never had to go back!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We put our trash out on Sunday night for pick up Monday.

We have a very regular group that works the neighborhood to steal all the plastic bottles from the trash and take them to get money for recycling. I can leave it out on Sunday - I can leave it out on Monday - I can leave it out 10 min before the trash truck comes, but no matter what, these folks seem to always get all our bottles before the truck picks it up.

I HATE PEOPLE GOING THROUGH MY TRASH EVERY WEEK!

I get that they are trying to scrape together the money they need. I appreciate the fact that they are working very hard for very little money and I'm sure they need it. I don't think they are bad people... I just don't like my trash being rummaged through every week.

Im sure some will think it's fair game once it's out on the curb.

I have 2 problems with them stealing my trash.

1) I hate people going through my trash every week.
2) I really feel like my garage pick up rates are based on the money they get from recycling and once its in the trash can and on the curb its owned by CR&R. I have to assume long term this could effect my rate???

I've tried to actually talk to them when they are doing it - but (surprise) they don't speak english and just look right through me. They are in a zone and only see bottles - its like I'm not even standing there in front of them.

Just checking to see if I am an ass? Or does everybody want people going through their trash every week?

I don't think anyone wants anyone going through their trash every week.

But, it the only other possible answer is that you're an ass, well...

Recycle your stuff and don't be an ass! :D

Rondog4405

Reaction score
We have one dude that goes through our cans.. So far he hasnt made a mess of it and comes by late afternoon... If he wants to sift through my nasty rotten garbage more power too him..

77charger

Reaction score
I feel the same way I just don’t like others going through my trash in front of my house

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...So my friend a retired Superior Court judge and car collector.., put a bunch of trash in the guy across the street from him’s cans on trash night...So...the guy who’s trash cans they were is a retired editor of hot Rod magazine the judge and the hot Rod Magazine editor used to be good friends now they don’t talk ...so...wtf???

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Wow, Sorry to hear you all are having such problems with PEOPLE GOING THROUGH MY TRASH EVERY WEEK.
Up here in the northern Sierra Nevada hills, we Do not have People going threw my trash, We have Bears and Raccoons, going threw our trash.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Wow, Sorry to hear you all are having such problems with PEOPLE GOING THROUGH MY TRASH EVERY WEEK.
Up here in the northern Sierra Nevada hills, we Do not have People going threw my trash, We have Bears and Raccoons, going threw our trash.

Better make sure all your personal information is shredded. Those damn raccoons could be harvesting Information for identity theft.:D

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Zp2v/geico-raccoons-sequel-heist

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Stuff that goes on routinely that I had no idea took place.

We dont have people going thru our places simply because it doesnt have the density to make it worthwhile to them.

Once you put the trash out on a public street there isnt anything that can be done about it. If it is within a gated community or on your property they cant do this. At least that is how I always understood it.

Icky

Reaction score
We dont have people going thru our places simply because it doesnt have the density to make it worthwhile to them.

Once you put the trash out on a public street there isnt anything that can be done about it. If it is within a gated community or on your property they cant do this. At least that is how I always understood it.
Screenshot_20200128-061724_Chrome.jpg

daytona man

Reaction score
It's suppose to be illegal but people keep doing because nothing is going to happen to them if they get caught !