WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Travel Trailer 20' - 25' - New? Used? Which Brands?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Help me out. I'm looking into buying a small travel trailer 20' - 25'. I've had the big RV before. Just looking for something small, easy to take out. It will be pulled for now with an old, gas 3/4 ton. I would like to stay around 5,000 lbs. The ole GMC has 180,000 on the clock.

What are good brands? Does anyone have one for sale? I'm in NorCal. Probably not worth driving to AZ to get one.

Sent From Tapatalk

Last edited:

snafu

Reaction score
I like this model, Wildwood Heritage Glen 23 rbhl, tab bit over 25' overall and 7400lb GVWR. Looked at it at the RV show a year ago. Thinking this might work for 6mo of traveling in the near future.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I probably need to stay around 5,000 lbs. I don't want to buy another truck right now. It is hard to justify paying Covid prices for a truck that will sit in the driveway 90% of the time.

Sent From Tapatalk

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I've been looking myself for a small lol weekend getaway trailer. The used market is worse than the boat market.. 10k doesn't get much .. they were half that price a few years ago..

ekbearly

Reaction score
Outdoor RV, Nash and Arctic Fox were the finalists I landed on among the mainstream options in my similar search. Outdoor RV was my top choice due to floorplans, features and larger tanks for their size for boondocking.

All three are owned by the same parent company and focus on a higher quality four season build. All brands seem to have some weaknesses and quality control issues.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Inventories are tight in that size range. Even tighter in the 17 to 22 foot. Biden bucks are the new down payment.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Outdoor RV, Nash and Arctic Fox were the finalists I landed on among the mainstream options in my similar search. Outdoor RV was my top choice due to floorplans, features and larger tanks for their size for boondocking.

All three are owned by the same parent company and focus on a higher quality four season build. All brands seem to have some weaknesses and quality control issues.

i loved my Outdoors. It was well built and beautiful

arctic Fox....never owned one but would def be on my list to check out if buying

707dog

Reaction score
we got a 2015 jayco flight bunkhouse 230bh... queen bed for us the kids have full size bunks shower and shitter gets the job done when camping. easy to tow, park and store. have used the piss out it since we got it with no issues. don't forget to factor in the extra cash for all the BS you will need that's not included in purchase.
20201023_201413.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
we got a 2015 jayco flight bunkhouse 230bh... queen bed for us the kids have full size bunks shower and shitter gets the job done when camping. easy to tow, park and store. have used the piss out it since we got it with no issues. don't forget to factor in the extra cash for all the BS you will need that's not included in purchase. View attachment 982899
I kept most of my stuff from my last RV. Still have the hitch and stabilizer, sewer, and kitchen stuff.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Think about a toy hauler the same size that you want. It’s always nice to be able to put bicycles in easily, a kayak, quad, etc.
I want a little toy hauler, for that reason. The little lady doesn't.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Been looking myself. It’s extremely overwhelming with the options out there. Plus new pricing almost makes more sense than used.

That being said, the Grand Design models seem to be the hot ticket.
That is what I am thinking. A used one that should be 8-9K is listed at 17-18k. Can get a new one for around 21-22k.

I don't want to buy a new one, but... LOL

Sent From Tapatalk

carrera202

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at grand design also. We've gone back and forth between toy haulers to 5th wheels, and travel trailers. I think we've settled for a travel trailer due to budget, and soon to be empty nesters. Sales guy says use the 80/20 rule. Get a trailer that you're gonna use 80% of the time not 20.

707dog

Reaction score
That is what I am thinking. A used one that should be 8-9K is listed at 17-18k. Can get a new one for around 21-22k.

I don't want to buy a new one, but... LOL

Sent From Tapatalk
8-10 for a "project", and new add a few grand to that price. There is some good ones out there its all based on how much you really want to spend on trailer is ultimately going to let you know what model and size you end up with.

LAVEYNICK

Reaction score
We just downsized from a 33ft toy hauler and I’m super happy. We didn’t use the toy hauler for the rzr we mostly do campgrounds now...2020 keystone hideout 245
IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_4737.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renodaytona

Reaction score
Keep shopping and be ready to jump on a deal that pops up. I looked all over the west coast for a toy hauler that I could fit the Tatum in. Lots of over priced ones out there but I waited and got a good deal on the one we picked up a few weeks ago.

707dog

Reaction score
Keep shopping and be ready to jump on a deal that pops up. I looked all over the west coast for a toy hauler that I could fit the Tatum in. Lots of over priced ones out there but I waited and got a good deal on the one we picked up a few weeks ago.
Copy on that ... @RogerThat99 be ready to jump on it asap. if its descent and priced good theres 5 more peeps on the phone line with the same spill ready to buy. Keep a eye on Facebook marketplace trailers pop up daily on there

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
Might want to look at Jayco Jayfeather line. Just bought a 19' 2021 for a really good deal. They have the fold out end beds to create a ton more of usable space. They are under 5K lbs.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We just downsized from a 33ft toy hauler and I’m super happy. We didn’t use the toy hauler for the rzr we mostly do campgrounds now...2020 keystone hideout 245
View attachment 983054
View attachment 983055
View attachment 983056
View attachment 983057

That is where I am at. My last one was a 34" bumper tow, and it was almost 14' tall with the ACs. Behind my longbed cc truck I was just under 60' long. We could never go to any small campgrounds, pretty my just RV Parks.

We will be empty nesters later this year. I want something small and easy. The easier it is, the more you will use it. My last one, I would go on a 1 nighter, and it was just easier to sleep in the back of the truck, or tent it. I want something as easy as taking a utility trailer. LOL

Sent From Tapatalk

LAVEYNICK

Reaction score
That is where I am at. My last one was a 34" bumper tow, and it was almost 14' tall with the ACs. Behind my longbed cc truck I was just under 60' long. We could never go to any small campgrounds, pretty my just RV Parks.

We will be empty nesters later this year. I want something small and easy. The easier it is, the more you will use it. My last one, I would go on a 1 nighter, and it was just easier to sleep in the back of the truck, or tent it. I want something as easy as taking a utility trailer. LOL

Sent From Tapatalk
I agree, since the new trailer is so light and small we use it way more and are seeing more places that are further out. We did zion twice last summer and towing it up to bridgeport was a pieced of cake.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
View attachment 983054
View attachment 983055
View attachment 983056
View attachment 983057

Thats a great looking trailer! I have two young boys, 1 and 3, and so we figure most of our camping is going to be within 1-2 hours of our house so throwing them and the dogs in the truck is no biggie. How do you like the Keystone product?

LAVEYNICK

Reaction score
Thats a great looking trailer! I have two young boys, 1 and 3, and so we figure most of our camping is going to be within 1-2 hours of our house so throwing them and the dogs in the truck is no biggie. How do you like the Keystone product?
Thank you and I really like it. I've had Forrest river which was ok and pacific coachworks which was nightmare. They all are gona have issues but the keystone has had the least. I wasn't gona spend the money on a grand design for a little travel trailer. My parents haver a jayco and that seems pretty solid as well.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Thank you and I really like it. I've had Forrest river which was ok and pacific coachworks which was nightmare. They all are gona have issues but the keystone has had the least. I wasn't gona spend the money on a grand design for a little travel trailer. My parents haver a jayco and that seems pretty solid as well.
Cool, good to know! A buddy of mine has a Keystone Springdale and it’s been solid as well. Looks like we’re going to have to start an RDP travel trailer trip

707dog

Reaction score
Got a Grand Design Imagine View attachment 983275 2400. Very happy after almost 3 years. Damn black tank level indicator is stuck at 3/4 tho...
very nice trailer...there's a turd or paper hung up in the float, they sell a spray wand that goes through the toilet that will blast the walls and bottom . had the same issue for the first two trips had to remind the family it don't take half a roll to wipe and if it does there's a outdoor shower to clean up with...lol...

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Do you have a floorplan pic you can post?

I had a keystone before. It was a great rig. I used it a lot for 4 years, and sold it for about 3k less than I paid for it new.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Holy shiznit. I went and looked at a couple dealers today just to start looking at different brands, and floorplans.

Way too much cheddar for me. Their used ones were pretty much the same price as new. Looks like I am going RV less this year. LOL

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
What is the quality like on the Forest River lines?

I looked at their Gray Wolf, Alpha Wolf, and their little toy hauler.

I also looked a a used Wildwood X-Lite.

Sent From Tapatalk

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Holy shiznit. I went and looked at a couple dealers today just to start looking at different brands, and floorplans.

Way too much cheddar for me. Their used ones were pretty much the same price as new. Looks like I am going RV less this year. LOL

Sent From Tapatalk

It’s crazy! I start getting all bent out of shape on the price of new ones and then see 10+ year old Class C’s in the 50’s and realize that maybe trailers aren’t too bad.

Looking at it, it seems the Keystone Hideouts are a great “value.” I really like their 258RK model.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
It’s crazy! I start getting all bent out of shape on the price of new ones and then see 10+ year old Class C’s in the 50’s and realize that maybe trailers aren’t too bad.

Looking at it, it seems the Keystone Hideouts are a great “value.” I really like their 258RK model.
I was getting bent out of shape also. The first place we stopped, as we are parking, I saw one that looked like it might meet our needs (about a 24'). It had a price on the window, but from our line of sight, the first digit was blocked from view. I said that price looks good if the first digit is a 1, and not so good if the first digit is a 2. LOL.

We walk up. Not only is it a used trailer, BUT the first digit was a 3. I said you gotta be kidding me (edited version).

A 4 year old, visibly worn, 24' trailer, and you want $36K for it. F You!!

I told the wife if the POS is 36K, there is nothing more to look at here and we left.

I mean seriously. That price is more insulting than the guy telling 2FF that his Schiada looked likenit "Just Rolled Off The Showroom Floor"[emoji3][emoji3]

Sent From Tapatalk

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I was getting bent out of shape also. The first place we stopped, as we are parking, I saw one that looked like it might meet our needs (about a 24'). It had a price on the window, but from our line of sight, the first digit was blocked from view. I said that price looks good if the first digit is a 1, and not so good if the first digit is a 2. LOL.

We walk up. Not only is it a used trailer, BUT the first digit was a 3. I said you gotta be kidding me (edited version).

A 4 year old, visibly worn, 24' trailer, and you want $36K for it. F You!!

I told the wife if the POS is 36K, there is nothing more to look at here and we left.

I mean seriously. That price is more insulting than the guy telling 2FF that his Schiada looked likenit "Just Rolled Off The Showroom Floor"[emoji3][emoji3]

Sent From Tapatalk

That’s insane! The only time I plan on paying for a travel trailer with a “3” in front is if I went with a Grand Design. I saw online a 2021 Keystone Hideout 258RK for $26,999. I might be crazy but that didn’t seem like a terrible price compared to some stuff out there.

hallett21

Reaction score
I’m sure a lot of these are financed and then traded in. People probably still owe a lot on them so the used market stays inflated. Not to mention the insane demand right now.

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
If you only use 2-3 weeks a year/ a few weekends, rent one from one of the private party rental sites.
After depreciation, storage, cleaning , insurance, etc. may be a option. The private party ones are not near as beat as the big guys who whore them out.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
If you only use 2-3 weeks a year/ a few weekends, rent one from one of the private party rental sites.
After depreciation, storage, cleaning , insurance, etc. may be a option. The private party ones are not near as beat as the big guys who whore them out.

No doubt! But it sounds like the OP is looking to use this more often. I know I have a goal of once per month

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
No doubt! But it sounds like the OP is looking to use this more often. I know I have a goal of once per month
I stayed about 40 nights a year in my last RV. Once the kids got into sports, and kid activities, it dropped to Memorial Day and Labor Day. So I sold it. Later this spring, I will be done with kids sports, and be an empty nester this Fall. I plan to use it as much as possible.

Sent From Tapatalk

cofooter

Reaction score
Thinking you are way better off waiting for Fall to buy...... too many people with big plans and stimulus money this time of year...........

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Prices have gone up. I got mine a year and a half ago for 20900 OTD.

If I could have found that deal, I would of bought one last weekend.

Thinking you are way better off waiting for Fall to buy...... too many people with big plans and stimulus money this time of year...........

I would prefer to wait. The ole lady wants one now. She is an emotional buyer, not a financial buyer. Reminds of the girl on Willy Wonka. "Daddy, I want an Oompa Loompa, and I want it NOW". :D

satellitemike

Reaction score
Just purchased an Evoke, Model A 24”. Dry weight is 6200 lbs. King size bed and big bathroom
I was looking at those pretty hard and found a good deal on a Jayco. How do you like it so far?