WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tri tip is a CALIFORNIA meat.

boat527

Reaction score
You can buy Tri-Tip in Florida too.
Yeah.. must be a CA thing thinking they have their own special meat cut... Hmmm just looked at a whole cooler full at WinCo...in.
IMG_20210919_161939.jpg
Vancouver Wa...

Sorry about the sideway pic...dinners ready!

Loony Toon

Reaction score
They’ve also been carrying picanha cut [emoji106]

This is my favorite.(Sirloin Cap) Cut 3/4" slices cook over Mesquite wood on a hibachi. Grill to your liking and eat with Chimichurri. Also great smoked whole.
Whenever I know that I'll be in the La Verne area I call ahead and order two or three (whole caps) from The Corner Butcher Shop.

sintax

Reaction score
Living North of Houston, we can get it pretty much anywhere. HEB and Costco always have it. Obviously Texas is brisket country so the price for tri tip is about 1/2 to 2/3 the price in California.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ya that’s one of the things that really blew me away when I was out there. I’m used to dropping 80-160 on a prime brisket. They had the same packers for like half price.

sintax

Reaction score
Far western isn't in Quadalupe anymore. It moved about 6 or 7 years ago. Its in old Town Orcutt now.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

My uncle grew up in Santa Maria, huge Portuguese family.

I’ve been going to Jockos since I was old enough to remember, but I’ve never tried it. I’ll hit it next time I’m up that way.

Ah just googled it, might to too fancy for me :). Looks similar to mclintocks

farmo83

Reaction score
HEB (a regionalish grocery store in Texas carries them now). I got into talking bbq with Alexi over the course of my boat being rebuilt and mentioned that is what they smoke out west. I had never heard of them before. I want to try one out this offseason.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

I’ve been going to Jockos since I was old enough to remember, but I’ve never tried it. I’ll hit it next time I’m up that way.

LOTS of Portuguese in the area. Some of the best people you'll ever meet as well. My uncle is surrounded by different members of one family from AG and their friends at his lake house at Naci. Each and every one of them would give you the shirt off their back to help out.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
We have been in Texas for almost 2 years and finding Tri Tip is almost impossible. We use to cook it every other weekend and I thought for sure we would be able to get it seeing how there is a cow on every corner 🤣 but not even close. I have been to a lot of Butchers that don't even know what a Tri Tip is. I hauled half a truck of Red Oak out and can't even use it. Still on the hunt though. Costco has them ever now and then

In addition to HEB and Costco, Kroger's also carries tri-tip when you can find it. Moves quick in North TX. Like most said, some folks around have never heard of it, but I think it's starting to catch on. My neighbor is having his processor include them for us because they've only heard about the cut. Smoked tri-tip is going to blow their mind!

bocco

Reaction score
Just looked at a recipe for Santa Maria rub. Salt, pepper and garlic powder. Any thing else is optional. Sounds like most of the rubs that I have in the cabinet.

Minimatt

Reaction score

I was born and raised in Santa Maria. My wife's family were Portuguese dairy farmers in Nipomo since the very early 1900's. As mentioned, Far Western in Orcutt is now a lot like McLintocks in Shell Beach. Jocko's recently changed management, and isn't as good as it used to be. The BBQ establishment most locals seem to frequent for authentic SM style BBQ is the Hitching Post in Casmalia. Not to be confused with the Hitching Post in Buellton.

There is also a group of 200-400 men that meet monthly in the SM valley for authentic SM style BBQ. The primary purpose of this group is to pass down the authentic SM style BBQ techniques and recipes to the younger generations. One thing not yet mentioned in this thread is that macaroni and cheese is a part of the authentic SM style BBQ, though not widely included anymore.

bocco

Reaction score
I was born and raised in Santa Maria. My wife's family were Portuguese dairy farmers in Nipomo since the very early 1900's. As mentioned, Far Western in Orcutt is now a lot like McLintocks in Shell Beach. Jocko's recently changed management, and isn't as good as it used to be. The BBQ establishment most locals seem to frequent for authentic SM style BBQ is the Hitching Post in Casmalia. Not to be confused with the Hitching Post in Buellton.

There is also a group of 200-400 men that meet monthly in the SM valley for authentic SM style BBQ. The primary purpose of this group is to pass down the authentic SM style BBQ techniques and recipes to the younger generations. One thing not yet mentioned in this thread is that macaroni and cheese is a part of the authentic SM style BBQ, though not widely included anymore.

Do they sell tickets?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

I think my uncle's neighbors out there are members. For the life of me, I cant remember what the organization is, but they do traditional BBQ catering for events for a donation to certain charities. Incredible food and great people. I would not be 1 bit surprised if you know them. But for the life of me I cant remember Dennis' last name now.

BTW, I need to give you a call. I've been so crazy busy I havent had much of a chance after work lately to do anything really.

joecfd1

Reaction score
That butcher is awesome. Always our camping meat stop before we leave town
Apparently, not everyone likes the Crack... we love it. We always keep one or two in the freezer. Spendy but good!