WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tri-Toon Restore

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
This section is a little boring and we seem to missing out on Boat Content here, so here's my winter project.

This Tri-toon has quite a bit of sentimental value to me, this was my good friends boat, and at one point we were going to split the thing, with me paying to rebuild the motor, and him putting me on the title, and storing it at Park Moabi. He never used the boat, and it pretty much just sat covered under a patio. Well, just a few weeks before we were going to pull the motor and have it rebuilt, he passed suddenly at his home office. That was in 2011.
Since then, I always tell his wife, that I'd still love to have the boat if she ever decides to sell it. This went on for 10 years, with me mentioning it about once a year.
Last year, she finally told me to come get the boat, so now I have it, and its my winter project.
I pulled it out of hibernation and she was looking pretty rough, but when I cleaned a spot on the interior, it actually cleaned up nice and was still soft. I brought out 6 new wheels and tires and drug her over to Golden Shores and started cleaning her up.
This October, I pulled the motor and took it over to Lou's in Kingman, I think some of you may know Lou, he's been around a long time, and currently works part time at Billy B's in Needles.
We are completely going thru the old 150 2 stroke, getting rid of Oil Injection, and Lou is going to do a little porting and cleaning up, and was hoping he could get around 200Hp out of the motor.
I need to get a stereo in her, which I've been collecting parts for. Some bimini hardware, steering wheels, and some clean up some electrical.
The goal is to have her running by April.

Here are some before and after clean up pictures, and the culprit to the blown motor.
clean.jpg
cleanseat.jpg
dirty.jpg
dirty1.jpg
extradirty.jpg
half clean.jpg
interior.jpg
Motor.jpg
pass.jpg
piston.jpg
tri.jpg

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Thats a big toon! Surprised how well the interior cleaned up, what did you use?

Digging the project, looking forward to seeing the progress.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Yeah that vinyl cleaned up amazing! Nice job 👍

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
Man that interior looks amazing All washed up & Cleaned….

throw in some speakers W/ LED lights or light rings , Night cruises they make a world if difference !! - I like my 6.5 Kickers and wet sounds controller!

Keep the Updates Coming !

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Man that interior looks amazing All washed up & Cleaned….

throw in some speakers W/ LED lights or light rings , Night cruises they make a world if difference !! - I like my 6.5 Kickers and wet sounds controller!

Keep the Updates Coming !
I already bought speakers from a member here, so no lighted rings yet.

Still need a woofer, deck and amps.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Just got the call the motor is done, so gonna head up and pick it back up in a couple week.

It should be about 215Hp now, and no more oil injection. Lou went thru the entire motor, needed 2 new rods, of course a top end, and he went thru the entire fuel injection system, and it needed the skag repaired.

The cowl to this motor needs new sticker, anyone got a good place to get replacement stickers?

Attachments

• new motor.jpg
    new motor.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 37
  • motor done.jpg
    motor done.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 39
  • powerhead.jpg
    powerhead.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 42

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Slowly putting together the pieces for some music, got 6 7" pierced audio speakers from

@02HoWaRd26 a 12" Punch Sub from CL, and now a couple older Alpine amps from @Jay Dub.

Still need to figure out a head unit, and figure out if I'm also going to use the 2 tower speakers I have.

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 18
  • sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 19

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’m supposed to pull a head unit out of the kids boat, he bought a Fusion, i think it’s a Kenwood, I’ll see him tomorrow and check for sure and message you. Nothing special but will get you that one step closer.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I’m supposed to pull a head unit out of the kids boat, he bought a Fusion, i think it’s a Kenwood, I’ll see him tomorrow and check for sure and message you. Nothing special but will get you that one step closer.
Let me know, I'm debating the head unit being the only thing I actually buy new.

wishiknew

Reaction score
This section is a little boring and we seem to missing out on Boat Content here, so here's my winter project.

This Tri-toon has quite a bit of sentimental value to me, this was my good friends boat, and at one point we were going to split the thing, with me paying to rebuild the motor, and him putting me on the title, and storing it at Park Moabi. He never used the boat, and it pretty much just sat covered under a patio. Well, just a few weeks before we were going to pull the motor and have it rebuilt, he passed suddenly at his home office. That was in 2011.
Since then, I always tell his wife, that I'd still love to have the boat if she ever decides to sell it. This went on for 10 years, with me mentioning it about once a year.
Last year, she finally told me to come get the boat, so now I have it, and its my winter project.
I pulled it out of hibernation and she was looking pretty rough, but when I cleaned a spot on the interior, it actually cleaned up nice and was still soft. I brought out 6 new wheels and tires and drug her over to Golden Shores and started cleaning her up.
This October, I pulled the motor and took it over to Lou's in Kingman, I think some of you may know Lou, he's been around a long time, and currently works part time at Billy B's in Needles.
We are completely going thru the old 150 2 stroke, getting rid of Oil Injection, and Lou is going to do a little porting and cleaning up, and was hoping he could get around 200Hp out of the motor.
I need to get a stereo in her, which I've been collecting parts for. Some bimini hardware, steering wheels, and some clean up some electrical.
The goal is to have her running by April.

Here are some before and after clean up pictures, and the culprit to the blown motor. View attachment 1183077 View attachment 1183078 View attachment 1183079 View attachment 1183080 View attachment 1183081 View attachment 1183082 View attachment 1183083 View attachment 1183084 View attachment 1183085 View attachment 1183086 View attachment 1183087
Who was the owner I had a mobile in moabi in 2011 pm me if you prefer

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Should be fun, I've never had a pontoon.

I go back out next weekend and pick up the motor, and hang it, and hopefully get her started for the first time in a long time.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
It's almost install time on the stereo after I pick up the motor this weekend.

Who's got some ideas on the best speaker locations?

I got 2 ideas so far, that's the woofer under the helm, but I think I have room under the rear hatch as well if thats a better location.

Attachments

• speaker locations.JPG
    speaker locations.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 2nd speaker.JPG
    2nd speaker.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 32

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Went on out this weekend and pick up the newly rebuilt motor. Had a productive few days, and also a couple snags.

Drove to Kingman to load up the motor and get it hung, and the builder wanted to be there when I fired up to make sure everything was adjusted and hooked up properly and also set the timing. So, loaded motor up, and hung it on the boat. As I was looking to start wiring it up, I noticed the battery cables were totally shot, so I had to go make some new cables, then I discovered the boat had about 10 gallons of 12 year old as it, so I got that pumped out, and refilled the tanks with new fuel. I replaced the batteries, and started checking on electrical, well, gauges and hatch ram work, but no navigation or docking lights, I'll deal with that later.

Time to start the motor, and what do you know, we can't get any fuel out of the tanks, so we pull off the pickup off of one of the thanks and the ball check is stuck, fixed one side, and proceeded to start the motor, only to figure out that the fuel pump quit working, so we did not get it started.

As I was trying to pull the fitting off of the second tank, it galled up on me, and became completely fucked, LOL. So, out with the new gas, and ran it over to KSH in Havasu and they put a new weld o'let and pick up tube in it for me.

Also while I was out there, I put the 7" speakers and the head unit in, so now I just need to mount the amps and wire it up.

Hoping to get back out in a couple weeks and get it started up and dunk it in the water for the first time in a long time.
fush.jpg
hang.jpg
hanging.jpg
speakers.jpg
tank.jpg

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Went on out this weekend and pick up the newly rebuilt motor. Had a productive few days, and also a couple snags.

Drove to Kingman to load up the motor and get it hung, and the builder wanted to be there when I fired up to make sure everything was adjusted and hooked up properly and also set the timing. So, loaded motor up, and hung it on the boat. As I was looking to start wiring it up, I noticed the battery cables were totally shot, so I had to go make some new cables, then I discovered the boat had about 10 gallons of 12 year old as it, so I got that pumped out, and refilled the tanks with new fuel. I replaced the batteries, and started checking on electrical, well, gauges and hatch ram work, but no navigation or docking lights, I'll deal with that later.

Time to start the motor, and what do you know, we can't get any fuel out of the tanks, so we pull off the pickup off of one of the thanks and the ball check is stuck, fixed one side, and proceeded to start the motor, only to figure out that the fuel pump quit working, so we did not get it started.

As I was trying to pull the fitting off of the second tank, it galled up on me, and became completely fucked, LOL. So, out with the new gas, and ran it over to KSH in Havasu and they put a new weld o'let and pick up tube in it for me.

Also while I was out there, I put the 7" speakers and the head unit in, so now I just need to mount the amps and wire it up.

Hoping to get back out in a couple weeks and get it started up and dunk it in the water for the first time in a long time.
View attachment 1197147 View attachment 1197148 View attachment 1197149 View attachment 1197150 View attachment 1197151
Wouldn't expect any less drama from a 12 year sitting boat :)

Be cool once it's all running, looking great!

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Had a productive weekend out here working on the old boat. Got the motor all done and running, she sounds pretty rowdy.
Also got the stereo all done, came out sounding pretty good for maybe having $400 into all the components, well except for wiring, I think I spend another $500 on wiring and fuses.
Next is to get her in the water so I can replace all these rotted bunks, and figure out why the trailer lights don't work.
amps.jpg

Attachments

• stereo.mp4
    897.8 KB

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Had an eventful weekend last weekend,
Pulled the Toon off of the trailer and replaced all 14 bunks, then decided it was time to take her out on the water for the first time in a LONG time.
Actually got it out last Sunday and Monday.
I'm still breaking in the motor, so no speed runs yet, then up river I ran across this family that was out of gas. I towed them back, but let them know it was going to be real slow since I was breaking in the motor.
All in all, it's awesome, it runs, floats, has toons, and holds a bunch of people, now I just need to get it registered and insured.
bunks.jpg
Moabi.jpg
towing.jpg

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Well, I've had the boat out 4 times now and put about 10 hours on it. Had it up to Needles and down thru the gorge this weekend. I sorta bought this thing for my dog so he wasn't destroying my Placecraft, and he loves this thing.

gorge.jpg
gorge1.jpg
needles.jpg
needles1.jpg
Robert.jpg
Found a couple small issues with fuel delivery, so I'm swapping out the little electronic fuel valve, and putting in a hand operated 3 way valve, and then I'm going to just rig it up with 2 fuel gauges, one for each tank.
The other issue I'm having is now that I have some hours on it, I'm pushing the throttle a little harder and I can't get the motor over 5200 RPM. It seems to come out of the hole super quick, but then tops out super quick at 5200RPM, and 31MPH on the GPS.
I'm not sure if it's just a prop issue, or maybe it running 100:1 still, or a shifter issue, or a combination of all 3.
I need to check what prop is on it when I get back out there, I didn't remember to check it out before I put the boat away.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Man that thing is set up Very similar to mine! The big deck out front is super handy. Most toons don't come like that.

I have a 24 4-blade on mine. Pretty good all around prop.

Congratulations on the new project!

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Man that thing is set up Very similar to mine! The big deck out front is super handy. Most toons don't come like that.

I have a 24 4-blade on mine. Pretty good all around prop.

Congratulations on the new project!
What motor and what RPM/Speeds are you seeing.
Is yours a 28 also?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What motor and what RPM/Speeds are you seeing.
Is yours a 28 also?

Yes. 28. V6 150 I think? Lol

It runs right at the rated RPM wide open and trimmed out.

It did a touch over 30, till my son dented one of the toons pretty good. Does 27/28 now full blast.

But I never run it wide open. Usually cruise around 3k. Seems to get the best fuel consumption around there.