WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

TRI TOONS, 3 OR 4 BLADE PROP TRUTH AND FACTS....

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Havasu, yes.

I’ll see 53-54 fully loaded, against the rev limiter. It’ll cruise easily at 40-45 but I’m at 6k and 20 GPH.
42 mph at 6000 rpms is 19% slip... sues toon runs single digit ,she runs 42 @ 5050 with a lower gear,(1.85)

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
what brand and model prop do you have???

14.7 16p 3 blade Enertia

There isn’t a gaping area around the outside of the prop:
IMG_6926.jpg

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
14.7 16p 3 blade Enertia

There isn’t a gaping area around the outside of the prop: View attachment 772624
that's the same thing I ran into with my honda/ coach....jumped on plane, but blew the prop out after 2500 rpms...still doing test on that toon..but... going to a 4 blade sure made adifferance...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So getting back to sues pontoon/Evinrude,... here's what I found so far....the 19p 4 blade is the best prop for our usage, with the motor mounted on the 3rd hole down... it goes faster and uses less fuel at cruise range with the least slip... but it doesn't get to the max rpm of 6000,..my thought is it will at havasu, and for sure will with a jack plate...that and in cooler weather...

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
If you’re in town sometime soon I’d really like to take you up on the 17p 4 blade sometime. I’m really thinking that’s where this beast needs to be.

What was weird to me is that the Avalon dealer runs 4 blades on all his bigger toons, and here I am with a 16p 3 blade on a 400. I don’t think much time was put into the prop choice [emoji2371][emoji2371]

View attachment 772609

They put a 17p on my 27 Avalon with a 350 and it pulls to 6300

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
3 blade enertia
I think evinrudes rebel is pretty much a copy,.. it has a 15'' diameter with huge blades, and only 3 blades...diameter will eat up a lot of HP, but the big blades will keep it hooked up....what I have found so far in all my prop tests,... a 4 blade will give more performace through out the whole rpm range.....going from a 3 blade to four... you can drop the diameter about an inch,... there for making it easier to spin with less power....I have found with my tests that the 4 blade will net higher cruising speeds, lower slip numbers, and better GPH results...but...both seem to be very close with WOT speed..

on sues toon,

4000 rpms = 30mph with a 3 blade...14% slip...with the 4 blade 19p, 4000 rpms= 36.4 mph...10.5 gph.6 % slip, so now it will go 30 mph at only 3500,.. slip jumps to 12% but, GPH is only 8.4...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
with all boats, I always check load on the motor...and use a vacuum gauge.....on the toon I has a GPH gauge..so about the same thing..

propping a toon I want the best I can get, not much there... so being able to use less fuel, and the lowest rpm, with fashest MPH is most important .... I've raised the cruise speed bar to 40 mph,..seems to be a nice cruise speed for the 24' godfrey, and 10 gals and hour isn't bad....still more tests and I have an 18 p 4 blade on delivery ,.. it's a bigger diameter ,...15''... so probley gonna work better on the 300hp Evinrude...

edit...just tracked the prop....Jacksonville, FL, United States

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
here's another thing,prop pitch.....if you take a 17p prop, with a 1.85 gear....the best it will ever do ,@ "0" slip is 52 mph..doesn't matter how many blades it has....
and the same gear, 19p is 58 mph...

so propping a boat has more to do with how much bite the prop needs,and not enough, or too much is where performance is lost or gained..

HavaToon

Reaction score
@2FORCEFULL

This isn’t my boat but mine has the same toon bottom with a very large notch and I’m running the Verado 250. What are your thoughts on where to mount the engine height in relation to the bottom?

IMG_2039.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
@2FORCEFULL

This isn’t my boat but mine has the same toon bottom with a very large notch and I’m running the Verado 250. What are your thoughts on where to mount the engine height in relation to the bottom?

View attachment 772873

the boat in the pics looks to be where I found to be right....when I got the boat(sues godfrey) they mounted the motor to level with the bottom, I found it to work way better with the cav plate at the bottom of the notch

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I stopped by Cactus RV on the way home from work this morning just for shits and giggles, since their boats are on the lot I was able to take a quick peek at what the 400s were propped at. They were both R models, so they rev a few hundred higher than mine.

One was a. 14.5 x 17p and the other was a 16x17p, but both of them 3 blades. I’m convinced a 17 is where I should be, still unsure about 3 vs 4 blade. Thinking about ordering a couple aluminum since they’re cheap. I can’t drop 700 bones on multiple props to try out.

HavaToon

Reaction score
the boat in the pics looks to be where I found to be right....when I got the boat(sues godfrey) they mounted the motor to level with the bottom, I found it to work way better with the cav plate at the bottom of the notch

Thanks! I’ll move my motor up another hole or two. My spray deflector is even with the notch, so my cavitation plate is below now.

Both were below originally and the spray was terrible, I could also feel the stern being sucked down. Moved it to were it is today and it was much better but your thread has reminded me to try going higher.

HavaToon

Reaction score
I stopped by Cactus RV on the way home from work this morning just for shits and giggles, since their boats are on the lot I was able to take a quick peek at what the 400s were propped at. They were both R models, so they rev a few hundred higher than mine.

One was a. 14.5 x 17p and the other was a 16x17p, but both of them 3 blades. I’m convinced a 17 is where I should be, still unsure about 3 vs 4 blade. Thinking about ordering a couple aluminum since they’re cheap. I can’t drop 700 bones on multiple props to try out.

I’ll be in Havasu this weekend, you’re welcome to try my REV 4 19p. I would bet your 400 could pull it.

I’d actually love to try your 16p enertia. I have a 14p enertia and I can pull it to the limiter.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Thanks! I’ll move my motor up another hole or two. My spray deflector is even with the notch, so my cavitation plate is below now.

Both were below originally and the spray was terrible, I could also feel the stern being sucked down. Moved it to were it is today and it was much better but your thread has reminded me to try going higher.

I have a 15p 4 blade you should try..the 4 blade is gonna get more bite and stern lift with out robbing the low end torque

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I’ll be in Havasu this weekend, you’re welcome to try my REV 4 19p. I would bet your 400 could pull it.

I’d actually love to try your 16p enertia. I have a 14p enertia and I can pull it to the limiter.

what speed and rpm?? 1.75 gear???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

oh, and I would try a different prop first, when you load up the toon in front your ganna get more stern lift

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
maybe we need to have an on the water prop swap day....I've got a bunch of props and on the water prop swap is easy with out boards....

HavaToon

Reaction score
what speed and rpm?? 1.75 gear???

Yes, I have 1.75 gear and can pull the 14p to the 6400+ rpm. Top speed has been 42-45mph. I usually cruise at 35mph which is 5500rpm, I’d love for that cruise rpm to come down.

I know I need more stern lift as my boat really likes to run more flat than bow high. With my 3 blade enertia, it actually requires a slight negative trim for max speed. Trimming neutral actually sucks the stern back down and loses speed.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Yes, I have 1.75 gear and can pull the 14p to the 6400+ rpm. Top speed has been 42-45mph. I usually cruise at 35mph which is 5500rpm, I’d love for that cruise rpm to come down.

I know I need more stern lift as my boat really likes to run more flat than bow high. With my 3 blade enertia, it actually requires a slight negative trim for max speed. Trimming neutral actually sucks the stern back down and loses speed.

I would say there's plenty of room for improvement....that's 16% slip at 35mph. sues boat will pull a 19p 4 blade to 36 @ 4000 rpms...

I also wanna add that I think the toon was propped for a specific use, different from what you are wanting....there had to be a reason for the small prop...unless it was the only one they had....

Last edited:

fasttoons

Reaction score
Bottoms Bottoms-
It all starts with the bottom design. Every manufacturer has a different bottom. The bottoms vary even within the pontoon boat builders models. So this discussion should start with a good photo of the rear bottoms.
Most pontoon purchases are driven by the family,so the buying decision is based on how much the wife likes the interior. The performance is secondary until the buyer figures out that the performance is not up to expectations and tries to fix it. For performance the best bottoms are made by Manitou, Playcraft and Southbay on their high end models.
These manufacturers race their products and improve them- With the same power Manitou, Playcraft and Southbay will run 5-10mph faster-all because they have the better bottoms.
@2FORCEFULL

View attachment 772873

Put a Bob's Jackplate on it and run it up as high as it will go without blowing it out- Rev 4 or Bravo 19-20"

fasttoons

Reaction score
12074576_1157641910927152_6788975495710165389_n.jpg
11205547_981390475218964_4261352843602422857_n.jpg
Some old photos but it shows the hull style. This one ran 58 GPS after we went to a 21 Bravo 1- Note how high it is vs pontoon bottom.

fasttoons

Reaction score
The new Verado powered one- wife wanted a quiet 4 stroke- Different bottom-this one has a 2" deeper center toon. 62 GPS
57299373_2408191149205549_6368599574050766848_o.jpg

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Bottoms Bottoms-
It all starts with the bottom design. Every manufacturer has a different bottom. The bottoms vary even within the pontoon boat builders models. So this discussion should start with a good photo of the rear bottoms.
Most pontoon purchases are driven by the family,so the buying decision is based on how much the wife likes the interior. The performance is secondary until the buyer figures out that the performance is not up to expectations and tries to fix it. For performance the best bottoms are made by Manitou, Playcraft and Southbay on their high end models.
These manufacturers race their products and improve them- With the same power Manitou, Playcraft and Southbay will run 5-10mph faster-all because they have the better bottoms.

Put a Bob's Jackplate on it and run it up as high as it will go without blowing it out- Rev 4 or Bravo 19-20"

There are certainly other manufacturers with improved technology on their toon bottoms. Avalon is easily at the top of the list with others for quality and performance. You can only get so much out of a beer can though. The pics you posted appear to be a very small toon with limited seating capacity though so your power to weight ratio is better hence better top end speed but fewer amenities overall.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I find pontoons to be much like rv's, a guy has to pick from the category the wife liks....for some reason they always think bigger is better....:D... those playcraft toon are small in every way... look how short the seat backs are , kinda like comparing a low deck 20' schiada to a 26' deck boat...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
2300, 2200, 2100
ClipperSeries_SpecsTablec-768x68@2x.png

Features

• Skid Guard Keels on Nose of 24″ Pontoons
  • Foam Floatation Contoured to Fill Each Pontoon
  • Front Water Deflectors on Pontoons
  • Nose Castings on Each Pontoon
  • Mooring Eyes on Each Corner
  • All Aluminum Cross Members Under Deck 16″ on Center
  • Wide Heavy-Duty Extruded Aluminum Side Deck Bumpers
  • Aluminum Castings on All Corners
  • Anodized Aluminum Rails
  • Baked Enamel Aluminum Side Panels
  • Limited Lifetime CCA 7 ply Plywood on Decks
  • Corrosion Resistant Fasteners
  • Selected RotoCast Seat Frames
  • Courtesy Lights
  • Running Lights
  • SONY AM/FM Stereo w/CD & 4 Marine Dual Cone Speakers

• Designer Graphics on Side Panels
  • Infinity Woven Vinyl Flooring
  • Captain Seat Flip Flop Design
  • Stern Sofas w/Storage
  • Fiberglass Console With
  • Drink Holders, Tach, Speedo, Water PSI, Horn, & Windshield
  • L-Shape Ensemble w/Snack Table
  • Port & Starboard Front Sofas w/Storage
  • Shrink Wrap (Bubble Pack)
  • 12 Volt Outlet
  • 2 Portable Drink Holders
  • Extended Center Deck & Transom (2600 SRL Only).
  • Split Rear Lounge (2600 SRL Only).

daytona-e1474943318289.png

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
and as far as bottom design....they all claim to have the best on the water...I can tell you this for fact...as I have 2 different toons,.. both measure the same in almost every way... my coach, although it looks better IMO.....doesn't perform anywhere near what Sues godfrey does...the honda doesn't compare to the Evinrude in any way...the coach doesn't ride as well either....one of the wants was the rear loungers...we found that to be not as good as dual rear bench seats that you can stretch out on...the loungers take up seating for six...when parked at the channel.. we found the loungers to be great,... but that was just us two on board.....while sitting there, we had a guest come on board.....no where to sit, and lounged out felt uncomfortable with some one standing there...next, my coach has dual helm.... another bad idea, it also takes up a bunch of space and adds a whole lotta weight...so on my do over.... that'll change...also, with the dual helm.... you don't get the side door... we use it a lot when beached....when I bought it... the full windshied was a want.... one trip out and it was removed....horrible,and it cuts the toon in halves... front or back...people in front can't mingle with those in the rear...and you have to run with the windshield close to keep from breaking it..also... the dual raised seat platforms... another weight gain that's pretty much usless

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
what would really be nice, is if they did performance tests on these toons independent of the builder....put all the toons in size and power categories like how they used to test power boats...the king of the hill type test.... all the same power and size.. and then test all the 250 hp motors...every one selling out boards all claim to have the most power....yet not a one advertises torque ....hp is useless with out torque at the right RPM...

mercury has inboard sew up.... you can pretty much only pick hp as it will be a merc..like rvs....class A gas.... one motor choice....v-10 ford...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
drag racing has all ways been a shut up now way to prove the fact of who is faster....racing a class is a lot more harder as everyone has to weigh the same with the same motor..

i'd like to see a shoot out with all the same toons... size wise, and differant motor builders....I'm a believer that Evinrude will win...but... I think they cheat..... they call the 300 hp a 250... pretty sure just to say they out perform...if all motors only put out 250 hp...cost and reliability is key...

Click Image for Gallery
  • Brand: Evinrude
  • Product Code: A300XU
  • Availability: In Stock
  • $19,537.00
-+
Add to Wish List Compare this Product
0 reviews / Write a review

General Information
ALTERNATOR OUTPUT 133 Amps Total/ 50 net Dedicated/14 amps @ idle
DISPLACEMENT 210 cu in/3441 cc
EMISSIONS COMPLIANCE EPA 2013 CARB 3 STAR European Union
FUEL/INDUCTION SYSTEM E-TEC Direct Injection with stratified low RPM combustion mode
LUBRICATION Multi-point Targeted Oiling
MODEL 300 HP G2 V6 ICON II
PROP SHAFT HORSEPOWER Factory Tuned for High Performance
RECOMMENDED ENGINE OIL Evinrude/ Johnson XD-100 Oil
RECOMMENDED FUEL 87 Octane
SERIES E-TEC
STEERING Remote - DPS
WARRANTY 5-Year
MODEL NUMBER A300XU
HORSEPOWER 300
ENGINE TYPE V6 74° E-TEC D.I.
STARTING SYSTEM Electric
BORE X STROKE 3.854 x 3.000 in / 98 x 76 mm
FULL THROTTLE RPM RANGE 5400-6000 RPM
GEAR RATIO 1.85
SHAFT LENGTH 25" 635mm
DRY WEIGHT 569 lbs.
ROTATION i-Dock Counter Rotation
POWER TRIM AND TILT Yes

The All-New Evinrude E-TEC G2 The outboard of the future. Introducing a revolutionary concept in outboards - a choice. Now, choose cutting-edge over commonplace. Choose more torque over more talk. Choose more time on the water over more time in the shop. Choose the outboard that performs, and looks like no other outboard in the world.

Specifications:

• Model: 250 HP G2 V6 ICON II
  • Model Number: E250Z
  • Series: E-TEC
  • HP: 250
  • Engine Type: V6 74° E-TEC D.I.
  • Displacement: 210 cu in/3441 cc
  • Bore x Stroke: 3.854 x 3.000 in / 98 x 76 mm
  • Prop Shaft Horsepower:
  • Fuel/Induction System: E-TEC Direct Injection with stratified low RPM combustion mode
  • Alternator Output: 133 Amps Total/ 50 net Dedicated/14 amps @ idle
  • Starting System: Electric
  • Steering: IPS (Integrated Power Steering)
  • Lubrication: Multi-point Targeted Oiling
  • Recommended fuel: 87 Octane
  • Full Throttle RPM Range: 5400-6000 RPM
  • Recommended Engine Oil: Evinrude/ Johnson XD-100 Oil
  • Gear Ratio: 1.85
  • Shaft Length: 30"
  • Emissions compliance: EPA 2013 CARB 3 STAR European Union
  • Dry Weight: 570 lbs.
  • Rotation: Standard (Right)
  • Warranty: 5-Year, Non Declining
  • Power Trim & Tilt: Yes

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
if you look at the spec on the 250 vs 300 hp Evinrude...they're the same.... but you always see Evinrude comparing the 250 to the merc 300.....if it's a 300hp, why not call it a 300hp....

and it looks like the tune is different....I know on diesels, they sell the motor and price it to the advertised hp,....so I wonder if you can buy the tune to bring the hp up???

Last edited:

fasttoons

Reaction score
2300, 2200, 2100
ClipperSeries_SpecsTablec-768x68@2x.png

Features

• Skid Guard Keels on Nose of 24″ Pontoons
  • Foam Floatation Contoured to Fill Each Pontoon
  • Front Water Deflectors on Pontoons
  • Nose Castings on Each Pontoon
  • Mooring Eyes on Each Corner
  • All Aluminum Cross Members Under Deck 16″ on Center
  • Wide Heavy-Duty Extruded Aluminum Side Deck Bumpers
  • Aluminum Castings on All Corners
  • Anodized Aluminum Rails
  • Baked Enamel Aluminum Side Panels
  • Limited Lifetime CCA 7 ply Plywood on Decks
  • Corrosion Resistant Fasteners
  • Selected RotoCast Seat Frames
  • Courtesy Lights
  • Running Lights
  • SONY AM/FM Stereo w/CD & 4 Marine Dual Cone Speakers

• Designer Graphics on Side Panels
  • Infinity Woven Vinyl Flooring
  • Captain Seat Flip Flop Design
  • Stern Sofas w/Storage
  • Fiberglass Console With
  • Drink Holders, Tach, Speedo, Water PSI, Horn, & Windshield
  • L-Shape Ensemble w/Snack Table
  • Port & Starboard Front Sofas w/Storage
  • Shrink Wrap (Bubble Pack)
  • 12 Volt Outlet
  • 2 Portable Drink Holders
  • Extended Center Deck & Transom (2600 SRL Only).
  • Split Rear Lounge (2600 SRL Only).

daytona-e1474943318289.png
These are custom built- You decide the bottom, the seating arrangement, colors etc. The sheet is just a starting point.

fasttoons

Reaction score
drag racing has all ways been a shut up now way to prove the fact of who is faster....racing a class is a lot more harder as everyone has to weigh the same with the same motor..

i'd like to see a shoot out with all the same toons... size wise, and differant motor builders....I'm a believer that Evinrude will win...but... I think they cheat..... they call the 300 hp a 250... pretty sure just to say they out perform...if all motors only put out 250 hp...cost and reliability is key...

Click Image for Gallery
  • $19,537.00
-+

General Information
FUEL/INDUCTION SYSTEM E-TEC Direct Injection with stratified low RPM combustion mode
SERIES E-TEC
STEERING Remote - DPS
WARRANTY 5-Year
MODEL NUMBER A300XU
HORSEPOWER 300
STARTING SYSTEM Electric
GEAR RATIO 1.85
SHAFT LENGTH 25" 635mm
DRY WEIGHT 569 lbs.
POWER TRIM AND TILT Yes

The All-New Evinrude E-TEC G2 The outboard of the future. Introducing a revolutionary concept in outboards - a choice. Now, choose cutting-edge over commonplace. Choose more torque over more talk. Choose more time on the water over more time in the shop. Choose the outboard that performs, and looks like no other outboard in the world.

Specifications:

• Prop Shaft Horsepower:
  • Fuel/Induction System: E-TEC Direct Injection with stratified low RPM combustion mode
They are better than the 4 strokes on performance like the old Optimax's were. On the same hull our 250hp Pro XS(270hp) ran 58+ vs. the Verado at 62+ with 350hp. The Optimax handled better-it is the extra 150lbs on the Verado. Not only that but at 4000rpm we were running 40 mph. With the Verado I'm running 30mph. Boats great just need a Mercury Racing 300R for a lighter boat. The problem with ETEC is their very small market share(3.7%) and their service base which reflects in the resale price.

fasttoons

Reaction score

Click Image for Gallery
  • $19,537.00
-+

General Information
SERIES E-TEC
STEERING Remote - DPS
WARRANTY 5-Year
MODEL NUMBER A300XU
HORSEPOWER 300
STARTING SYSTEM Electric
GEAR RATIO 1.85
SHAFT LENGTH 25" 635mm
DRY WEIGHT 569 lbs.
POWER TRIM AND TILT Yes

Specifications:

• Prop Shaft Horsepower:
They race at the LOTO Shootout for top guns in different power classes- Manitou, Southbay , Playcraft, Crest. They also run in circle races several times a year-Also get the shootout issue of Pontoon & Deckboat magazine.

fasttoons

Reaction score
and as far as bottom design....they all claim to have the best on the water...I can tell you this for fact...as I have 2 different toons,.. both measure the same in almost every way... my coach, although it looks better IMO.....doesn't perform anywhere near what Sues godfrey does...the honda doesn't compare to the Evinrude in any way...the coach doesn't ride as well either....one of the wants was the rear loungers...we found that to be not as good as dual rear bench seats that you can stretch out on...the loungers take up seating for six...when parked at the channel.. we found the loungers to be great,... but that was just us two on board.....while sitting there, we had a guest come on board.....no where to sit, and lounged out felt uncomfortable with some one standing there...next, my coach has dual helm.... another bad idea, it also takes up a bunch of space and adds a whole lotta weight...so on my do over.... that'll change...also, with the dual helm.... you don't get the side door... we use it a lot when beached....when I bought it... the full windshied was a want.... one trip out and it was removed....horrible,and it cuts the toon in halves... front or back...people in front can't mingle with those in the rear...and you have to run with the windshield close to keep from breaking it..also... the dual raised seat platforms... another weight gain that's pretty much usless
The Godfrey should be lighter than the Coach. The ETECH should be lighter than the Honda. The Godfrey should be way more fun to drive, lighter two stroke.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
2FF thanks a lot for sharing your testing results with the club here perhaps you should be in charge of organizing the first annual RDP toon regatta at havasu? Couple hundred toons tied up in copper canyon would remind me of the old days with a nice aerial shot.

PlanB

Reaction score
Standard toon gauge on a Bennington is .100 with .125 as an option. The weight of the different toons is definitely going to have a major effect on speed. Not only weight from the deck down, but also what amenities it has inside. On my last toon I added an aluminum swim platform, big stereo, 4 batteries, generator and a BBQ. It took a lot off of the top end after adding all that weight. Even on the current toon I have a lot of weight on the center ski locker (anchors, chairs, spike, EZ-Up etc...). The new ESP bottom is better than the old toon, but I need to run it empty one of these days to see how much the weight effects it.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
By the videos logic I should be at a 19. But I know that isn’t right. Well, it’s not what people run anyway.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
By the videos logic I should be at a 19. But I know that isn’t right. Well, it’s not what people run anyway.
props are more for intended use...how you load will make a difference in prop selection

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
props are more for intended use...how you load will make a difference in prop selection

I get it. I think.

I hope the 17 pitch will do me. This 20 gallons per hour cruise shit (40-45 MPH / 5800-6200) is killing me.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I think we are all experiencing why outboards have not taken over the boating world completely. They just dont have the torque of a big block and every bit of weight added to the boat affects them and slows them down. It was much less noticeable to me in my deck boat with a Teague 825 to load 8 or 10 persons but even if I had twin 400s on a toon 10 persons would slow it down significantly. Now if you run light then outboards gain the advantage due to the power to engine weight ratio.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
looks to me like the honda 200-225- and 250 is the same motor....

same 219 ci motor with 3 different tunes... the 250hp doesn't come in till 5800 on the 250..and the 250 revs to 6300, while the 225 and 200 are topped out at 6000 rpms...so I guess I'm gonna need to be propped to get right at 6300 rpms to get the 250 hp...

Engine
BF200 BF225 BF250
Type 4-Stroke, SOHC, 60˚ V6, 24 Valve 4-Stroke, SOHC, 60˚ V6, 24 Valve 4-Stroke, SOHC, 60˚ V6, 24 Valve
Displacement 3,583 cc (219 cubic inches) 3,583 cc (219 cubic inches) 3583cc (219 cubic ins.)
Bore & Stroke 89 x 96 mm (3.5 x 3.8 in.) 89 x 96 mm (3.5 x 3.8 in.) 89 X 96 mm
Full Throttle RPM Range 5,000-6,000 RPM 5,000-6,000 RPM 5300 - 6300 RPM
Rated Power 200 HP @ 5,500 rpm 225 HP @ 5,500 RPM 250 HP @ 5800 RPM
Cooling System Water Cooled Water Cooled Water Cooled
Fuel Delivery Programmed Fuel Injection Programmed Fuel Injection Programmed Fuel Injection
Ignition System MicroComputer Programmed MicroComputer Programmed MicroComputer Programmed
Starting System Electric Electric Electric
Exhaust Through Hub Through Hub Through Hub
Lubrication Wet Sump Wet Sump Wet Sump
Trim Range -4° to +16° -4° to +16° -4° to +16°
Tilt Range 72° 72° 72°

TCHB

Reaction score
I think we are all experiencing why outboards have not taken over the boating world completely. They just dont have the torque of a big block and every bit of weight added to the boat affects them and slows them down. It was much less noticeable to me in my deck boat with a Teague 825 to load 8 or 10 persons but even if I had twin 400s on a toon 10 persons would slow it down significantly. Now if you run light then outboards gain the advantage due to the power to engine weight ratio.
Yes weight makes a big difference on these outboards.