WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tri Top Pastrami

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
FB2D21DE-E51C-4075-A76A-0DE6C057A53D.jpeg
8F5FDC40-9526-4EC0-9C51-6FE7F70FA5CA.jpeg

Found Tri Tip at $2.99 a lb a short while back.
Needled it and submerged it in:
6 qts water
1 3/4 c brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 c kosher salt
1tbl sp pickle spice
8 cloves garlic
Mustard seeds
Pink salt
Then in the fridge.
Be back in 5 days for the next step.

Shortdeck

Reaction score
You don’t use prague powder to keep the meat from turning gray? Or is that the purpose of the pink salt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TPC

warlock250

Reaction score
View attachment 764720 View attachment 764721
Found Tri Tip at $2.99 a lb a short while back.
Needled it and submerged it in:
6 qts water
1 3/4 c brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 c kosher salt
1tbl sp pickle spice
8 cloves garlic
Mustard seeds
Pink salt
Then in the fridge.
Be back in 5 days for the next step.
Old Jewish lady that goes to my buddies shop does her Brined Brisket corned beef for 11 days. From what I was told her Corned beef is outta this world good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Half day in:
5EBE726F-0B78-48AB-8FB2-0256DE0BD2B4.jpeg
You don’t use prague powder to keep the meat from turning gray? Or is that the purpose of the pink salt?

Damfino.
Good question. Glad you mentioned it.
I'm new at this. First time. Thought I did my homework.

I found a few recipes on YouTube and they all called for Curing or Himalayan Pink salt. All I found was the Pink.
Closer search now after you pointed it out some other recipes say don't use Himalayan in place of curing salt.
I'll go out this morning and look for Prague Powder or curing salt.
I was surprised of the maybe 5 or 6 types of salt at Staters.
I thought salt just came in different size chunks grains and colors, not different types.

61PxzkIXxYL._SY355_.jpg

My goal:
Pastrami-Sandwich_8-650x910.jpg

What got me interested was Langers Pastrami restaurant was in the news. The old man asked a couple lesbians to knock off the PDA. Evidently they were really going at it in one of the booths.
The Lezzies hit facebook claiming they were kicked out and the TV news picked up the story.

The old man said he simply asked them to cool it in front of families. Even Yelp suspended reviews because of the online attacks.
Langers is a tourist stop famous for Pastrami. Most don't go there because it's in a bad neighborhood. I think he moved once from one bad neighborhood to another if I recall.

Langers:
o.jpg

So, being a fan of Langers Pastrami, I got the idea and decided to make it myself.
I can't find the recipe I used off the web yesterday on my phone and of 100 recipes out there, they all differ quite a bit:

Probably have to find Prague Powder online. Even Smart and Final doesn't list it. It's pink but evidently isn't the same as Pink salt. I'll try Fart and Smile tomorrow in person.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I used to trim tri tip for the Elks charity BBQ wagon. We'd trim it for hours. Everyone's dogs got the trimmings.
Learned all about tri tip. How it's trimmed, smoked and sliced. Ya gotta do it right.

I was passing through Santa Maria last month and stopped off at the Elks there. Santa Maria Tri Tip originated there goes the tale. In the 1950s, an Elks member, a local butcher named Bob Schutz perfected the tri-tip. If you can "perfect" a tri tip. Who gets the credit Damfino, but that's their story. Probably every restaurant in town has a similar story.

A member brought in some home made Smoked Tri Tip pastrami and it was fantastic.
So I figured I'd try it someday.
Ya learn something every day.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The Hat is right down the street and you don't have to wait 5 days ! Ha ha

We love the Hat.
Hats a different style other than deli style like Langers or Brents.
We like them all.

San Carlo Italian Deli in Chatsworth has a Hat style too. Fantastic.
They bake the buns fresh every morning.

BTW, I heard Brents Deli in the SFV bought out the Stovepiper Dive bar next door. Some talk they'll just knock the wall down.

Brents is worth a visit for just the awesome aroma when you walk in the door. Never experienced that anyplace else.

Brents:
brents-deli.jpg

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Found the Prague Powder on Amazon. About $10 delivered.
1 Tablespoon per 6 quarts of brine.
Evidently dangerous stuff.

I checked with some BBQ shops and they told me they don't sell brining powders because if not used correctly, they cause illness or worse.

I'll use it next batch. Sparingly.

81t9Ny9hK%2BL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
My boys took me to Brent’s Deli in Northridge Ca for Father’s Day.
This location has 2/3 the menu of their other location but all the atmosphere and still good.

The fantastic aromas, more employees than customers, fever pitch with large groups enjoying off-the chain food, surrounded by constant laughing conversations, a 90 year old waitress in black and whites that’s been at it 70 years and on point, and racket from the kitchen, the boys loved it.

Even Maynard liked it who is convinced my only job in life is to ruin his and will rarely acknowledge he liked something that was my idea. This because I have no clue about anything.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
10A46B44-2415-4B12-872D-8F239DA47527.jpeg

Smoked them for about an hour and a half, internal temp 200F. I know most go to 185F.
Man o man the aroma of the pecan smoke, mixed with pepper, meat cooking with that brown sugar brine even the sweeper truck stopped in front of the house and took it all in. A fantastic smell.
I’m steaming it now in the instant pot.

I’ll do it next time with the Prague powder in the brine. See how much more color we get and I’ll do the thicker slices.

lenmann

Reaction score
I am really interested in trying this. What is the Insta-Pot step about. The video link didn't mention it.

NicPaus

Reaction score
View attachment 765871 Great thread looks delicious. When we lived in Ca my stepson was in Torrance. When we would go visit him we would go to the “New York Deli” and get the #25 triple decker New Yorker with the homemade potato salad. Man do I miss this place.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/QmwVHGXdEX
Right down the street from me. #1 with pasta salad is my go to. Best pasta salad ever along with corned beef. Owner used to hook me up for helping him with his new house build. Best sandwiches in Torrance hands down.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I am really interested in trying this. What is the Insta-Pot step about. The video link didn't mention it.
Optional just to moisten it up a bit.
Not really a step.

dave29

Reaction score
Your thread made me really miss Pastrami. I found a recipe online, prepped the brine and brisket and it's in the fridge for 5 days. I read where the Prague Powder is poisonous if eaten directly. BTW, I got all my ingredients at Amazon.

bluebleeder

Reaction score
We love the Hat.
Hats a different style other than deli style like Langers or Brents.
We like them all.

San Carlo Italian Deli in Chatsworth has a Hat style too. Fantastic.
They bake the buns fresh every morning.

BTW, I heard Brents Deli in the SFV bought out the Stovepiper Dive bar next door. Some talk they'll just knock the wall down.

Brents is worth a visit for just the awesome aroma when you walk in the door. Never experienced that anyplace else.

Brents:
brents-deli.jpg

You just mentioned my 2 absolute favorite places to eat, Brent’s and San Carlo. You have good taste.