WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trick Ski Rope Release for BBC Ski Tow?

Zeke27G

Reaction score
Have any of you folks ever rigged a trick ski rope release onto a BBC ski tow?

We're looking for something simplistic and strong in design that can be easily installed and removed as needed.

Not sure how much I trust the Kong 525 (rated at 2200LBF), but it's design would work better for us than that Wichard.

Do any of you have experience with the old Casad trick ski releases? Are they a solid unit that can be used and abused and still perform?

If that's the case, we could ad some mounting taps for the Casad unit and just bolt it on when we're planning to use it.

Thank you for any tips or tricks!

Photos below for reference.

"BBC Ski Tow"
620-0502.jpg

"Kong 525"
41i9Jpk6+jL.jpg

"Wichard Snap Shackle"
2318277_LRG.jpg

"Casad Trick Ski Rope Release"
s-l500.jpg

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Way back in the 70's when I was 3 event skiing we used a version of all three releases you posted. I can tell you with the Kong and the Wichard type the rope can get hung up when released. Not for long, but long enough to get your attention. Never had a problem with the Casad style. A friend had one in a Nautique that we used for years, he always cleaned it with WD40 then oiled the moving pieces with 3in1.

SkiDoc

Reaction score
I used a Casad release on my Sanger flat 40 years ago. Worked really well but had to be creative how to run pull rope so it didn’t get caught in blower belt. Pretty sure the list of people doing toe turns behind a flat is small. We had a machine shop move mounting bolts closer together and make a flat back plate. The Casad design is great. Still have mine

Zeke27G

Reaction score
Thank you gents. I picked up a 'new old stock' Casad unit and it'll definitely do the trick! Now I'll just need to work on adapting it to the ski tow.