Tricks to a good lawn?

Jimmy

Reaction score
All mine seems to do is grow weeds!
20180417_085015.jpg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Lol.. I'm stubborn as all hell.... a can be pretty tight with the funds most of the time so I've gone as far as removing individual patches with a hoe all over the yard where there are weeds. Then back fill the lower portions of soil with a mix of dirt and top soil, then seed. I got my front yard just about perfect then the gophers came back...

Yours looks more like a total kill, then roto-till, level, compact, and re-seed or sod type job.

Reaction score
I usually starts off with a broken sprinkler, and you turn the water off. Then you figure if your not watering it, why should you weed and feed it. Eventually it begins to look like the picture above.

I suggest you fix the sprinkler, and weed and feed the lawn. :)

Jimmy

Reaction score
Lol.. I'm stubborn as all hell.... a can be pretty tight with the funds most of the time so I've gone as far as removing individual patches with a hoe all over the yard where there are weeds. Then back fill the lower portions of soil with a mix of dirt and top soil, then seed. I got my front yard just about perfect then the gophers came back...

Yours looks more like a total kill, then roto-till, level, compact, and re-seed or sod type job.
Whens the best time of year to do all that? We're starting to get into the cooler months.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
All mine seems to do is grow weeds!
View attachment 635742

One of the keys is you actually have to WATER it... LOL !!

First order of business is weed killer. Not sure what brands are available down-under. This is what I use here.

US-Ortho-Weed-B-Gon-Plus-Crabgrass-Control-Ready-to-spray-2-9994110-Main-Xlg.png
US-Ortho-Weed-B-Gon-Plus-Crabgrass-Control-Ready-to-spray-2-9994110-Main-Xlg.png
or the equivelent which is essentaiily 2-4-D and some other salts.

Two weeks later spread a good fertilzer that is 18-24-6 (N-P-K) will help it fill in. Granules that are like small pebbles. 2mm in diameter about 6 weeks apart. Spread at 3/4 the rate listed and do the lawn twice at 90 degrees, so there aren't any missed spots. I tend to use more than the recommened rates because it turns out better.

Use the 18-24-6 for a couple of years before going to 29-0-10.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
One problem is the mower from the gardener drops seeds and bits of other grass that grow in the new sod. In a couple years its all screwed up. If you have new sod, have your own mower and make the gardener use yours.

To start fresh, kill it all. Use a quality weed killer. Till it, rake out the crap, add some gypsum and sand. Roll it flat, use a wide rake and level out any low spots. Water it the whole time, so the moisture is deep. Then put down new sod. Water twice a day for two weeks. Then once a day for two weeks. Then cut back to three times a week.

You can't topdress and overseed on top of a weedy lawn... the weeds will not die out.

DLC

Reaction score
Just remember that once it’s in and green and lush you need to water it and then mow it once a week!
My lawn takes about an 1:15 to do every week! That’s for a full cut with edging and doing crap pick up

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Gasoline works, or salt. Then put down rocks or concrete!

Reaction score
What is the $/sqft on decent sod? In AZ, pretty much every front yard is all rock but I love the look of a nice lawn.

I suggest the fake grass. It's looking better every year. I have grass front and back on a 1/3 acre. My water bill in the summer is almost equal to the AC bill.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Neighbor with the perfect lawn spends a few hours on it every 3 or 4 days. Makes the rest of the block look bad. Mine is better than most on the block but room for improvement. Need to get a dump trailer of topper one of these days. Before you sod spend the money on good top soil especially if you have clay soil.

Albert

Reaction score
And add some gymsum dislodges the sodium . I ise trugree service $350 year they come every 6 weeks and do a service

sailtexas186548

Reaction score
Graded, topsoil, quality sod, aerate twice a year, cut it on high twice a week, hand weed it every time before cutting, water three times a week, electric mower to avoid gas/oil drips, don't share your mower, razor sharp mower blade, and a TON of time. I put in 3 to 5 hours a week except in the winter, it sucks, but man on July 4th it feels good to have the nicest grass in the 'hood

Oh yeah and pay a pro fertilizer company you cannot beat it, for the money.

Attachments

• IMG_6914.JPG
    IMG_6914.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 144

Advantage 1

Reaction score
What is the $/sqft on decent sod? In AZ, pretty much every front yard is all rock but I love the look of a nice lawn.

Honestly not sure of the SF$$, but I paid $1,800 for:

Removing the top 3" of roots, weeds and old grass.
Put down a solid 2" base of top soil.
Laid 1,130 sf of sod
Rebuilding the irrigation system.
Bought a new 12 station controller for the front and back irrigation system
Pruning 3 big Yucca Trees.

They hauled away 100% of everything. And [2 guys] did all this in 4 days.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Advantage can I have those guys number!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
$60 a month for a gardner....best $$$ I have ever spent

Granted I still have to fix broken sprinklers and weed/seed
Get yourself a lawn mower of your own and have the illegal alien use it on your lawn. If you don't, he'll be importing all the weeds and crap from all the other lawns he mows.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
One problem is the mower from the gardener drops seeds and bits of other grass that grow in the new sod. In a couple years its all screwed up. If you have new sod, have your own mower and make the gardener use yours.

To start fresh, kill it all. Use a quality weed killer. Till it, rake out the crap, add some gypsum and sand. Roll it flat, use a wide rake and level out any low spots. Water it the whole time, so the moisture is deep. Then put down new sod. Water twice a day for two weeks. Then once a day for two weeks. Then cut back to three times a week.

You can't topdress and overseed on top of a weedy lawn... the weeds will not die out.

^^^This and you'll still be fighting the native grasses after a few years. My previous house i would spray the yard once a year with Turflon Ester concentrate that kills most of the bermuda grass and weeds.

badluck24/7

Reaction score
My secret is I forgot to turn the sprinklers back on after that last bit of rain we got and the grass is greener than it’s ever been. Guess my lawn likes to starve. The flower beds, not so much.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Rip it all out Jimmy. Then Reseed or replace with Sod. Every spring apply some fertilizer w/Pre-Emergent and you'll never see the "famunda in land down under" again. Works for me.

IMG_3741.jpg
IMG_3735.jpg

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Jimmy, kill & remove lawn before end of winter, then prep and plant new lawn early Spring. Is that Sept/Oct for you?

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I don't think your ol' "Toe Cutter" is gonna cut it Jimmy. Try renting a sod cutter or a Large Heavy Duty 7-10HP or larger "rear tine" rototiller that has some weight, will cut deep and turn some earth similar to this one.
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 11.00.00 PM.png

Jimmy

Reaction score
Don't forget soil. Looking at that pic it's obvious you're going to need to "import" some quality soil.
Mate what u see there is some high quality cow shit! [emoji202]
Edit:Thats probably where they've come from.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
One of the keys is you actually have to WATER it... LOL !!

First order of business is weed killer. Not sure what brands are available down-under. This is what I use here.

or the equivelent which is essentaiily 2-4-D and some other salts.

Two weeks later spread a good fertilzer that is 18-24-6 (N-P-K) will help it fill in. Granules that are like small pebbles. 2mm in diameter about 6 weeks apart. Spread at 3/4 the rate listed and do the lawn twice at 90 degrees, so there aren't any missed spots. I tend to use more than the recommened rates because it turns out better.

Use the 18-24-6 for a couple of years before going to 29-0-10.

I used this a few months ago when the crabgrass started to infiltrate my lawn, it worked so well. It killed all the crab grass and clover type weeds I had in my lawn. Great product.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
AE5A2E00-EFD2-442F-BD0A-1C9C9294BFBD.jpeg
And they say grass doesn’t grow in AZ. My grass is my third child

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Get yourself a lawn mower of your own and have the illegal alien use it on your lawn. If you don't, he'll be importing all the weeds and crap from all the other lawns he mows.

When the weeds are green it makes the lawn look better from 15' out...lol

I don't hang out on the front grass so I'm golden:D

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Green concrete goes a long way! :D

The two largest wastes of life are gasket scraping, and cutting lawn!! Raking leaves is a close third...