WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trifecta vs South Bay vs Berkshire

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Both made by Forest River in Indiana. Anyone familiar with any differences? Hardware, rigging? Tubes? Comparing the 25 Sport CR9-Dual consoles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leeco2

Reaction score
Trifecta,South Bay and Berkshire all use the same Forest River Marine Engineered Chassis and V-Lite Performance Decking. Differences are from deck up- the fence/railing and furniture designs.

warlock250

Reaction score
The Berkshire is there crown jewel named after Warren's namesake Company. Berkshire Hathaway. The new fiberglass deck they started using to save some weight last year is fairly new and I know they tested it for a short time but I'm still a little Leary of it for long term due to some of the things like how they had to glue the flooring down and some floors wouldn't stick with the glue so if the the glue ever decides not to stick down the road in az heat they will be doing a floor recall. The manufacturing process also required making aluminum spacers to bolt stuff like ski pole thru the floor cause it would pull hard and crush the fiberglass deck and start wobbling around.
So it's a fair to say the three are similar in builds but I think the Trifecta name is weak and they never looked as nice as the others to me. Maybe that's cause the dealers who had them didn't know what they we doing and ordered them bare . The trifecta also had some weird color options in the past to

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Patyacht

Reaction score
The Berkshire is there crown jewel named after Warren's namesake Company. Berkshire Hathaway. The new fiberglass deck they started using to save some weight last year is fairly new and I know they tested it for a short time but I'm still a little Leary of it for long term due to some of the things like how they had to glue the flooring down and some floors wouldn't stick with the glue so if the the glue ever decides not to stick down the road in az heat they will be doing a floor recall. The manufacturing process also required making aluminum spacers to bolt stuff like ski pole thru the floor cause it would pull hard and crush the fiberglass deck and start wobbling around.
So it's a fair to say the three are similar in builds but I think the Trifecta name is weak and they never looked as nice as the others to me. Maybe that's cause the dealers who had them didn't know what they we doing and ordered them bare . The trifecta also had some weird color options in the past to

Not totally correct: Go to the Forest river website and you will see the Berkshire is their base boat, South Bay is their middle build and the Trifecta is their "high end pontoon".

The following is from the Forest River website:

At Forest River Marine, we take great pride in building products that continually exceed our customer’s expectations. Combining superior construction, quality components and rich comfortable furnishings our pontoons have brought family and friends together for many years. Forest River Marine is committed to innovative product improvement as a means to provide our owners with a lifetime of enjoyment on the water.

BERKSHIRE

You can see it in the styling, feel it in the performance and experience it in the excitement of owning a Berkshire Pontoons. Entertainment, Fishing and Cruising Models available.

SOUTH BAY

South Bay Pontoons is focused on performance, luxury and quality, and providing owners memories for a lifetime. Entertainment, Sport, Fishing and Cruising Models available.

TRIFECTA

Trifecta has it all; cruise models, fish models, entertainment boats, Super Sport packages and upper-end boats with all of the features people have come to expect in a high-end pontoon.

TCHB

Reaction score
A friend just bought a new Avalon after looking at the South Bay. Both toon boats were very nice. He ended up with a 250 on the back. I like the idea of the new floor without plywood in the South Bay

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
a little bird has told me that a new trifecta has left the factory and is on its way to havasu, I have looked at a couple but am excited to show this one to my wife if we can see if before the customer takes delivery of it.

I have been led to believe and had seen the different websites that seem to put the Trifecta at the top of their build class. My first thought is, what changes or things are not offered in the SouthBay that the Trifecta gets to make it stand out? Going out on a limb, I might guess that fabric and or color options could be a standout difference. Just gonna have to wait and compare I guess. The dealers don't really seem to have the answers yet either.

the deck material could be a problem that I will not want to deal with if it is or has not been corrected. I guess I will have to keep my feelers out on that.

warlock250

Reaction score
Not totally correct: Go to the Forest river website and you will see the Berkshire is their base boat, South Bay is their middle build and the Trifecta is their "high end pontoon".

The following is from the Forest River website:

At Forest River Marine, we take great pride in building products that continually exceed our customer’s expectations. Combining superior construction, quality components and rich comfortable furnishings our pontoons have brought family and friends together for many years. Forest River Marine is committed to innovative product improvement as a means to provide our owners with a lifetime of enjoyment on the water.

BERKSHIRE

You can see it in the styling, feel it in the performance and experience it in the excitement of owning a Berkshire Pontoons. Entertainment, Fishing and Cruising Models available.

SOUTH BAY

South Bay Pontoons is focused on performance, luxury and quality, and providing owners memories for a lifetime. Entertainment, Sport, Fishing and Cruising Models available.

TRIFECTA

Trifecta has it all; cruise models, fish models, entertainment boats, Super Sport packages and upper-end boats with all of the features people have come to expect in a high-end pontoon.
Well inside the corporate headquarters they always leaned towards Southbay as the favorite top build. The Teifecta line always had some weird colors and I was never impressed. The composite deck I'm still on the fence about it. And it's only barely been out for a little while so time will tell on that one . All three are pretty much the same. Kinda like a lot of Rvs that come out of the same plant. They make a different name up and some different stickers and that let's them open up another dealer next to one of there current dealers . Forest River Marine has had production problems with vendors and that's put them way behind schedule this year and they just don't have the capacity to catch back up so they just struggle with it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We are going with Bennington again, third one. They always done right by us.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
We are going with Bennington again, third one. They always done right by us.

This is still our thought. Customer satisfaction is on point. With a 10 year warranty, and 5 years on merc power [emoji736]

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Avalon just came up with twin 300. Thoughts? Avalon has plywood deck?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

warlock250

Reaction score
Avalon just came up with twin 300. Thoughts? Avalon has plywood deck?

Marine grade plywood is great stuff it's not something you can just go to Home depot and purchase.
Wood rot happened way back when people would leave there boat uncovered for years and the water would pool in a spot of the carpet and just sit and soak. Now days pontoon boats mostly all have marine grade vinyl Infinity flooring which is seamless and water sheds off easily so it won't sit on the wood and rot it.
Wood also has a good sound deadening quality so the boats are quieter and it provides a good solid ride. Most of the new Toons have a aluminum under sheating to keep water off the wood a d help flow the water out the back so there's not as much drag also.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
What's the price point with a 400r. Around about?

On a paper build sheet with tons of options and upgrades, the Bennington Q25 we were at around $143k. Which made our unconfirmed previous price around $119k. I did not place my order (got my deposit back) before the June deadline for an '18 model, so I have to kinda expect a price increase for the '19. The customer service along with 10 year warranty speaks a ton to me. I may just look at an "R" model with a merc 350 and get price under $100k. Just not sure yet, leaving options open for now.

I do like the configuration of the trifecta sport with dual console, the trifecta has lots of nice features and comes in maybe around the $120k with a single merc 400. I am not completely sold on having to step up and over a seat to get in the boat, rather than just walking thru on the Bennington. I want to bring a cooler on board with me and da wifey to sit in it longer.

Reactions: Wmc

DLC

Reaction score
They sure add up fast .... expensive for an aluminum boat. We didn’t expect to pay what we did of our Crest, but we sure love our boat.

warlock250

Reaction score
They sure add up fast .... expensive for an aluminum boat. We didn’t expect to pay what we did of our Crest, but we sure love our boat.
Add up some fiberglass boats. That's really shocking.

TCHB

Reaction score
I like the idea of a non plywood deck. If it works out that will be a very good improvement.

Here in Havasu the wood decks do pretty good because they do not stay wet long. Not sure how they would hold up in the wet damp areas of the country.

warlock250

Reaction score
I like the idea of a non plywood deck. If it works out that will be a very good improvement.

Here in Havasu the wood decks do pretty good because they do not stay wet long. Not sure how they would hold up in the wet damp areas of the country.
Marine plywood has been fine for years even in the wet climates since water no longer pools in the carpet. Veranda pontoons have an all aluminum deck no wood at all in there pontoon boats

TCHB

Reaction score
Yes pooling in the carpet is not good. My Playcraft floor still seems like new but I keep it garaged out of the weather.

warlock250

Reaction score
Yes pooling in the carpet is not good. My Playcraft floor still seems like new but I keep it garaged out of the weather.
All of the new Toons have the new marine vinyl flooring so wood rot will be almost impossible even if its left outdoors uncovered since the wood won't get saturated with water.

Patyacht

Reaction score
IMG_2653.JPG
I had a friend try to build 2, yes 2, 10 wide Bennington's with twin 400's. I say tried because both ended up having structural deck issues so he ended up building an Avalon. Another friend owns this ugly weird colored Trifecta. LOL :p.... Did I really say ugly?:):)

warlock250

Reaction score
View attachment 665988 I had a friend try to build 2, yes 2, 10 wide Bennington's with twin 400's. I say tried because both ended up having structural deck issues so he ended up building an Avalon. Another friend owns this ugly weird colored Trifecta. LOL :p.... Did I really say ugly?:):)
Where's your Twin. You said you were buying one.

warlock250

Reaction score
View attachment 665988 I had a friend try to build 2, yes 2, 10 wide Bennington's with twin 400's. I say tried because both ended up having structural deck issues so he ended up building an Avalon. Another friend owns this ugly weird colored Trifecta. LOL :p.... Did I really say ugly?:):)
By the way that's a Berkshire!![emoji16]

Patyacht

Reaction score
By the way that's a Berkshire!![emoji16]

Right! By the way that 29' Trifecta put that twin 25' Berkshire to shame, both in appearance and performance. Wonder if the Berkshires deck bolts got fixed before the boat sold!

warlock250

Reaction score
Right! By the way that 29' Trifecta put that twin 25' Berkshire to shame, both in appearance and performance.
Hmmm. REALLY. that's pretty funny sir.
Glad you know so much. Lmao.

That boat right there was my build. I ordered and optioned it my way for my inventory and the new forest river rep took it from me and gave it to his buddy the Trifecta dealer and they slapped a Trifecta sticker on it. Pretty cool huh. Yep that's right it's a Berkshire. Don't forget it. Lol.

Patyacht

Reaction score
I don't know everything but here are a few things I do know:
1. The 25' Berkshire ride was the worst riding pontoon I'd ever been on.
2. When you have the jack plates set for 40 and try to run top end ....... it doesn't work well and it tells me the poor ride was operator error.
3. Finally, A few days after the run and for months after that every time I saw the boat the front deck bolts were either missing or loose. Even pointed the bolts out to one of your employees and never saw them fixed.
Have a nice evening.;)

DLC

Reaction score

That looks like baller country.. off choke your cherry tree, I always wanted white twins..... lol. Nice boat

warlock250

Reaction score
Absolutely refuse to pay 150k for floating aluminum! Pontoon prices are ridiculous these days. Unbelievable!!!!
Wow I knew you were a dreamer wishing you could afford a Twin but really. That is the same exact boat as this one not sure why you call it a 25' once again you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I gave you a ride when I first took it out and was learning how it drove and figuring it out and I told you that also. But you are an expert and know everything according to you. Haha. I always take my time learning how to trim a boat and play with its different trim and jack plate settings to get a feel for it and I you want to talk shit cause It was the first run and I was learning it all that just shows how much of a Tool you really are.
These two boats are the same size and everything I ordered and optioned them from forest river myself I'm the one that showed forest river the jackplate setup on a Toon otherwise they were building them without them and they really need them.

Don't forget it Mr know it all poser. They are both the same size and both are Berkshire boats just goes to show that you are talking out your Ass. And by the way because you wear a DCB hat doesn't mean you own one Poser. I still laugh about that cause we had a bet you were not a buyer ever just a dreamer wanting a free ride so he could brag to his old timer buddies that he went out on a Twin 400 Toon and now knows it all.
You absolutely refuse to buy one because you cant. Lmfao.

TCHB

Reaction score
I have talked to hi
Yup, neighbor.
Is this the guy with the nice Airplane?? I talked to him in the channel. Real nice guy.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Wow I knew you were a dreamer wishing you could afford a Twin but really. That is the same exact boat as this one not sure why you call it a 25' once again you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I gave you a ride when I first took it out and was learning how it drove and figuring it out and I told you that also. But you are an expert and know everything according to you. Haha. I always take my time learning how to trim a boat and play with its different trim and jack plate settings to get a feel for it and I you want to talk shit cause It was the first run and I was learning it all that just shows how much of a Tool you really are.
These two boats are the same size and everything I ordered and optioned them from forest river myself I'm the one that showed forest river the jackplate setup on a Toon otherwise they were building them without them and they really need them.

Don't forget it Mr know it all poser. They are both the same size and both are Berkshire boats just goes to show that you are talking out your Ass. And by the way because you wear a DCB hat doesn't mean you own one Poser. I still laugh about that cause we had a bet you were not a buyer ever just a dreamer wanting a free ride so he could brag to his old timer buddies that he went out on a Twin 400 Toon and now knows it all.

Someone is butt hurt about not making a sell.

Singleton

Reaction score

If you company name ever gets posted, you just lost a future customer.
Don’t care about history, your post above shows lack of professionalism and customer service.
No wonder some Havasu business wonder why customers go elsewhere.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Jesus, what a shitshow. This might be a dumb question, but is this the same Forest River that makes RVs? If it is, I wouldn't let them pay me to have one. Forest River RV's are shit, through and through. Sorry to those that have one, but in the end it's the truth.

150k for a pontoon boat? Jesus Christ, for what? Find somebody that wants out of their Bennington for 30 Grand, and enjoy it for the next 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score

This does seem to be getting pretty personal and Cactus does not need that to be what people think of their business here in Havasu.....

As far as Pat being a poser or unable to afford a $150k toon...... You really have got to be kidding!?!?!? He owned a DCB before they were cool, but still expensive. Not a cheap one, but a fully optioned twin...... Poser??? I don’t think so. Maybe he gambled all the money away and is broke as a joker but I doubt it.

Think before you speak...... Or it can be really bad for business

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
This is still our thought. Customer satisfaction is on point. With a 10 year warranty, and 5 years on merc power [emoji736]

I love the 400s...owned 5 and 2 more on the way. But for the pontoon i see no advantage with the 400.
Twin 300 PRO XS V8s with 8 years of warranty makes the most sense for me.

And no supercharger is nice as well.

Love my Southbay with the 350 Verado....Great boat

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I love the 400s...owned 5 and 2 more on the way. But for the pontoon i see no advantage with the 400.
Twin 300 PRO XS V8s with 8 years of warranty makes the most sense for me.

And no supercharger is nice as well.

Love my Southbay with the 350 Verado....Great boat

Well, I can cut about $10k by not doing the 400 and stepping into the 350. This is being considered as an option as well. Thx.

DLC

Reaction score
I have a 350 on my toon and it works great, I think I have 5-6 year merc warranty kinda forget now. We bumped up from a 300 to the 350 and it was like $1,500 or $2,000. They wanted $1,700 for white! $10,000 is a ton of dough and I’m not a baker.

How much more ump would you get from the 400?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I have a 350 on my toon and it works great, I think I have 5-6 year merc warranty kinda forget now. We bumped up from a 300 to the 350 and it was like $1,500 or $2,000. They wanted $1,700 for white! $10,000 is a ton of dough and I’m not a baker.

How much more ump would you get from the 400?

Not enuf ump to make 10,000 lbs of dough! I think that decision might be one that is gonna stand ✅

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
The old 300 Verado had a 1” prop shaft. I’m hearing the new 300 has the larger 1 1/4 prop shaft which I like much better. And tons of torque.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Avalon.

Easy reason. Mines almost 3 years old, 75 hours. Its never been back to the dealer for anything. Zero warranty repairs. Just oil changes.

Buy used?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
A few floor plan options from the trifecta website. I have opted to look closer at the models with the Dual Console, windshield and arch. I feel the dual console will provide better useful space having a glovebox, sink option and a windbreaker for extreme hot and cold days. The new ‘19 models have a bigger arch and will provide for more shade too [emoji736]

A little concerned with this one as I feel wear and tear stepping on seat cushions will not last. It’s cool, but prolly off our list.

IMG_3596.jpg

This floor plan seems to be the more traditional pontoon style and a bow seat can be added in the front and or back to connect and complete the u shaped seating configuration. We like this as an option, and aft of the seating area facing the transom deck has three options not shown here, with speakers and cup holders.

IMG_3725.jpg

This model gets away from the new fiberglass mold and is framed with panels that are the norm of a pontoon. Hopefully the is some storage in the molded version for a few quik grabs if you were pulled up on a beach. The rear area has three options and the model above. Seating configuration in this floor plan doesn’t show a rear facing headrest in the back passenger area, I’m sure it can be added.

IMG_3726.jpg

This floor plan and model gets away from any of the molded / shapes in the front and back.

IMG_3727.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Same floor plan options, these are from South Bay website.

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Now throw this Berkshire into the mix. All of these made from forest river. Seriously, is there anything that separates these boats from each other or is it truly just dealers selling different product names and maybe their clients?

This is one very nice boat! Gonna be comparing it now to the Bennington that we like.

IMG_3581.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

DLC

Reaction score
I like the arch look but no Frt Bimini kinda sucks! And trying to add one would look ....off!

I also wonder if the windshield blocks some of the wind noise, I’d like to ride in one with a windshield

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I like the arch look but no Frt Bimini kinda sucks! And trying to add one would look ....off!

I also wonder if the windshield blocks some of the wind noise, I’d like to ride in one with a windshield

Good point, one of the advantages of a toon in my opinion is the abundance of shade under the large bimini(s). Just makes cruising so much easier and hanging out on the beach. Electric biminis are the way to go also. Just hit the switch and its up or down in seconds.

Reactions: DLC