WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trim tab offset mounting distance

Bobo57

Reaction score
Hi all,
Getting ready to install larger trim tabs on the Schiada. The manufacturer recommends 3/4 inch offset from the bottom of the hull surface.

Can anyone here enlighten me as to the reason for the offset placement?

Thx
B

bjf66

Reaction score
My boat is not factory made it was laid up as one off
So had no reference points
All the reading I done suggested the bottom tabs needed to be raised to protect any potential drag the tab could have if slightly lower mounted on transom

Due to contour of transom, had to cut down the transom mounted plates for K-280 as actuators were mounted with fab. Brackets

IMG_5452.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lenmann

Reaction score
All the reading I done suggested the bottom tabs needed to be raised to protect any potential drag the tab could have if slightly lower mounted on transom

Due to contour of transom, had to cut down the transom mounted plates for K-280 as actuators were mounted with fab. Brackets

View attachment 957507

Holy Moly!!! What do you have going on there? A smallish, deepish v-hull, with a transplanted Arneson, and ...?

Give us some more pics of this hotrod and some details on the build please, looks really interesting. Educate us, after all it's in Victoria.

Bobo57

Reaction score

View attachment 957507

Looks like your tabs are almost flush with the bottom surface....

bjf66

Reaction score
Yes I think I got a little carried away
Used to offshore ski-race 30 yrs ago with 2 stroke Johnson V8 ( last 2 pics) now having heart transplant with 502-540 ci, twin turbo, crash gearbox, parallel drive to Arneson
Redone transom, stringers, made hatch, raised cap of hull so hatch sinks into deck
All engineering done, just pulled everything out in weekend and deducted and hosed out
Just need to finish wrapping fibreglassing around gunwale and then finish sanding
One the advantages of covid for me is not travelling and reclaiming some personal time to finish boat
IMG_6033.jpg

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

bjf66

Reaction score
Tabs are 20mm ( 0.75”) up from bottom

bjf66

Reaction score
Found this picture which may help as not often do you see the boats belly to get a clear shot at the K- planes
136188596_3644855842299959_9211624158900304422_o.jpg