WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Triple axle trailer w/ 14" wheels

aj923

Reaction score
On my newly acquired boat it has a nice triple axle trailer with 14" wheels. Looking at the date code on the tires they are about 14 years old so I am replacing them. Tires are a 215/60r14. Discount only has one tire option for that size.

I am possibly thinking about going to a bigger wheel to open up more options.

Anyone done something like this before. The tire shops are not much help and I am not sure what size wheel to go.

Here is a picture with the current set up.
b3.jpg

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Just measure the new diameter fore the 15's, as long as they fit under you are fine... it looks like you have the space, if they are too big take a look at how close the bolt holes on those fenders are to the step pads, can you raise them a bit, you may have to make new inner pads but you get the bigger tire and wheel. the bigger wheel and tire looks much nicer as well, the wheels below are 15x7 and these are 10" fenders.
SPECTRA 9.jpg

fenders 2 (2).jpg

aj923

Reaction score
Just measure the new diameter fore the 15's, as long as they fit under you are fine... it looks like you have the space, if they are too big take a look at how close the bolt holes on those fenders are to the step pads, can you raise them a bit, you may have to make new inner pads but you get the bigger tire and wheel. the bigger wheel and tire looks much nicer as well, the wheels below are 15x7 and these are 10" fenders. View attachment 978163

View attachment 978157

Thanks for the reply. Badass Spectra!

Havazoo

Reaction score
What ever to do, go with a trailer rated tire. Trailer impact on tires is completed different than an automotive tire.

aj923

Reaction score
What ever to do, go with a trailer rated tire. Trailer impact on tires is completed different than an automotive tire.

I typically would. They don't make a trailer tire that will fit for this application. I am thinking about going to a bigger wheel but it still doesn't mean I can get a trailer tire to fit.

Havazoo

Reaction score
Speak with the guys over at Adrenaline in Lake Havasu. They’re awesome and will give you all your options.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Just doing a quick look, I would try to go to a 15” wheel and 205/60r15 tires. They’re ~.5” taller overall diameter so you’d have to check to make sure you have the clearance but your probably do. They have a weight rating of 1356lb x 6 = 8136lbs which you should be well under with your 25’. I’ve been running passenger car tires on my triple axle for 20 years now and have never had a single issue.

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
tiresize.com is a great site to compare tire and wheel sizes. You can put in what you have and what you want and it will tell you the increase or decrease in size by number and percent.

aj923

Reaction score
Just doing a quick look, I would try to go to a 15” wheel and 205/60r15 tires. They’re ~.5” taller overall diameter so you’d have to check to make sure you have the clearance but your probably do. They have a weight rating of 1356lb x 6 = 8136lbs which you should be well under with your 25’. I’ve been running passenger car tires on my triple axle for 20 years now and have never had a single issue.

They are passenger car tires on there currently and have lived for 14 years haha.

I like the idea of going to a bigger rim. I have a couple ideas now to chase.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
I typically would. They don't make a trailer tire that will fit for this application. I am thinking about going to a bigger wheel but it still doesn't mean I can get a trailer tire to fit.
Car tires are fine on that boat trailer. Do the simple math on the new tires load capacity x6 Trailer tires are such junk now! Get a good car tire (not Chinese made) and never look back.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I was all hooked up to go to the river today and when airing the trailer tires, the trip ended there. I have ST205/65D14 tires and cannot find replacements. I have a spare in 205/75R14 and it's about a 1/2" from hitting the fender. I have a 21 Howard on an Ellis trailer and the boat sits low on the trailer so there isn't much room to raise the fenders. What options are out there for a tire with a 24-1/2" diameter.

Last edited:

aj923

Reaction score
I ended up finding some tires on tirerack.com. Ordered them on a Wednesday afternoon and delivered Thursday by 11am. Took them over to big o to have them mounted.

For me this is a temporary solution til I can update the wheel size and possibly modify the trailer.

johnnyC

Reaction score
on the triple axel if torsion sprung you can re-clock the axel ends for clearance... that's what i did... if its spring you will need to raise the fenders

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I was all hooked up to go to the river today and when airing the trailer tires, the trip ended there. I have ST205/65D14 tires and cannot find replacements. I have a spare in 205/75R14 and it's about a 1/2" from hitting the fender. I have a 21 Howard on an Ellis trailer and the boat sits low on the trailer so there isn't much room to raise the fenders. What options are out there for a tire with a 24-1/2" diameter.
A 195/70r14 car tire would be pretty close 24-3/4”. Weight rating should be fine to carry that boat.