WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Truck camper, whos done it?

TrojanDan

Reaction score
Miss my camper. o5 GMC 2500 HD Diesel. Started with an older Lance, then went to an Artic Fox 990 with a slide out. Slide makes all the difference. Towed a trailer with baja bug and XR600 to San Felipe, Glamis North, Lucerne valley with no issues. Pulled it fine.
View attachment 986193
What size rims were you running on for this set up?

Jimmyv

Reaction score
The Lance we had,
11F5F50D-8451-4718-89BC-7BC8A11C7E3C.png

The current Four Wheel Camper
1D66681E-B677-4411-90E2-DE4F6795CBBD.jpeg

The last Moro Van
C0EFC384-9C26-4BF6-A161-445E21191F92.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D4ACA29-95A5-465D-A3D2-707C0BA0D56C.jpeg
    1D4ACA29-95A5-465D-A3D2-707C0BA0D56C.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 94

jet496

Reaction score
I loved mine until we had kids. I'd jack it off the truck & off load it at the campsite so then I had a vehicle to drive around in.

Pattle

Reaction score
I was a hardcore desert weekender, with my Silverado with Snug Top to sleep in and KTM on a hitch hauler. Then got married and wife decided she wanted to tag along.

After a lot of thought, I bought a new F350 dually and Lance 992 with dual slides (2013). $100K package, but it did what I wanted. Enough camper to please the old lady (bed, heater, fridge, oven, toilet) and enough truck to haul a flat bed with my Silverado now converted to prerunner. Bike easily went on the same hitch hauler, and I could still open the camper door halfway to get in and out of the camper with the bike on.

Downsides to the huge truck and camper: parking in a normal lot sucks. I had entertained ideas of this being my daily driver, and going for mtn bike rides after work with my own changing station. Nope. Too big. So for you, going with a smaller truck and a small camper (maybe even a popup) should be better.

Another idea I wrestled with: cassette tank or normal black tank. I decided on normal black tank. I also just spent $10K last year to have an RV dump installed at my house. Hint. So, if you aren't going to be out for days with the wife filling up a black tank, a cassette tank allows you to skip the line at the RV dump sites, and TCB at home. (without the huge expense of installing an RV dump)

Another thought: I am lazy! I knew I had to leave the camper on, or it wouldn't work. I can remove it quickly, but getting it back on is a chore, and I only do it about once a year when I have to. YMMV, but if you can, plan to leave it on full time. Again smaller is better for that.

One thing I haven't done yet, and am watching this thread for: boat ramps using the truck/camper. So far, my only boat is my Superjet, and that works great with this camper. I want to get a pontoon, though, and am a little uneasy about dealing with boat ramps with a 5k+ lb camper on the back of the truck. From everything I've read, it's not a big deal, but still seems like it must get the old heart beating a little faster on the steeper ramps.

Bottom line: I still have my truck/camper combo and love it. For my situation, I would do the same in a heartbeat.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
View attachment 986161

Sounds like my old Alpenlite! 👍🏼Great camper with all the bells and whistles: dry bath, slide out, basement model with huge tank capacities (30 gal black, 30 gal grey, 40 gal water), a/c, 3 way fridge, electric jacks, etc... I would still own it if only I had bought a dually instead of a 3500 SRW. It was heavy when fully loaded for a one week camping trip.
I see what you did there. 😉
I was wondering if you were gonna chime in. Loved that camper but it eventually got too small for us. Don’t ask how for just two people but it did. 😁

petie6464

Reaction score
In the 90's I had a Lance LC780 11' 6" on a Ford crew cab one ton dually. Loved it, big, truck handled it with ease and had enough room with a queen bed up top. Only thing that sucked was a crappy Kohler LPG generator. It was loud, under powered and needed wrench on it way to often, it rattled everything in the camper.

I bought a 5500 Honda generator and mounted that the trailer I pulled, that worked well.

I still think for weekend type trips a camper is still my choice. Easy on and off and you still have the truck to drive.

77charger

Reaction score
IMG_1482.JPG
My old set up loved this for lake or river trips. a/c worked great at the river too.just wish kids hadnt outgrown it or one would have chose to sleep outside in a tent like kids do.LOL

Like said earlier front hitch carried jet ski when i didnt take boat or a generator for forest or desert trips.No air bags on my truck either camper had a sticker on it saying it weighed 2760 with full 33 gallon water and propane.

Rye

Reaction score
I did not read every post but I had a Lance 1030 on a SRW F350 and a Lance 1191 on a Chev 3500HD dually. Even though a lot heavier I felt more comfortable with the latter setup. Another thing I liked about the 1191 was the side door entrance rather than climbing over the boat trailer tongue. I did enjoy it and would not rule out another truck camper some day. One thing to be careful of is some private parks discriminate against them, never had any issues in State or Federal campgrounds.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Loved the camper deal before kids. Had a 8.5’ elk horn on a 04 k2500 short bed so It sat to the end of tailgat. Short hitch extension for boat or car hauler with quads.
As has been suggested find your trucks camper weight rating, it’s way different than GCW rating because of the high center of gravity. My 2500 was only rated for 1700lbs. Like most toy haulers, campers can be way over the weight tags. They don’t count accessories. My 1500 lb camper was over 2k lb with a/c, batteries, propane etc... then add everything you pack in it. Some of the big units with slides can be well over 4k Lbs loaded.

575cat

Reaction score
I see these pics are of older trucks which is good , later model trucks the boxes are not as strong as they used to be [ fragile I know I own one ] a while back in a gas station filling up I watched the traffic cruise by in a light construction area in front here comes this fairly new F350 dually big pickup camper with over the cab beds coming by slowly the bed to cab lines did not line up any more , box twisting , over the cab area moving up and down even with frame stabilizers , not good watch out .

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
We had a 93 Chevy dually with a 12+ foot camper (19 ft overall) LOVED it. Solar, generator, AC, microwave, queen bed....we put everything on it and took it everywhere. I had Banks do their thing on the 454. Th only "problem" was the damn hitch. the camper was so long we had to build a hitch extension that lined up with mounting holes in the camper bumper. The good news the 454 had no issues with the camper and the boat behind it.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
This thread has got me thinking...

I actually picked up a super premo 2011 crew cab dually diesel yesterday, and iver head camper sounds like a blast. My only concern is that I have a 27 formula that on trailer with fuel and water is pushing 8500lbs, that seems like a ton of weight to be pulling especially after your hitch gets extended with a camper. Anybody have experience moving that kind of weight with an overhead camper

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score

I actually picked up a super premo 2011 crew cab dually diesel yesterday, and iver head camper sounds like a blast. My only concern is that I have a 27 formula that on trailer with fuel and water is pushing 8500lbs, that seems like a ton of weight to be pulling especially after your hitch gets extended with a camper. Anybody have experience moving that kind of weight with an overhead camper

Yes, I had to remove the bumper and add two arms from the frame to the extesion so my hitch looked like a three point hitch off a tractor. 11.5 foot camper and a 7000 tub

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Yes, I had to remove the bumper and add two arms from the frame to the extesion so my hitch looked like a three point hitch off a tractor. 11.5 foot camper and a 7000 tub
Makes sense, did you just run a rod end on the arms or like a urethane bushing?

Backlash

Reaction score
I can't believe the Alaskan hasn't been brought up. Maybe I'm just partial to it since that's what we have. Like everything else I own, it was cheap and needed some work. No big deal! 😁 They aren't always inexpensive, but I think it has a lot to offer. I had it on our Dodge 3500 4WD dually and it was perfect. Sold the truck last year, but still have the camper. I'll wait for something else later on down the road.

And yes, your truck camper has either leaked, or will leak in the future. If you buy used, you're going to have rot somewhere on your camper. If you buy new, it will eventually leak unless you store it indoors and don't ever use it during inclement weather.

Cool thread, keep it going! 😎

Rye

Reaction score

Not sure what name the hitch extensions are made by now, used to be Reese, but you can see the ratings. I had the longest one they made (48”) in conjunction with the 1191 and a 25’ boat that weighed about 5000 lbs and worked in this case but I don’t know if it would rate for the weight you mentioned. If you don’t buy a camper with as much overhand you can use a shorter extension that is rated higher. I do recall a manufacturer making one out of a double tube stacked for reinforcement, but I don’t remember the name.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Makes sense, did you just run a rod end on the arms or like a urethane bushing?

1/2 inch by 1 1/2 and bolted to truck frame and stinger, no rattles or play unlike the one pictured above

sintax

Reaction score
Did any SRW truck guys install a sway bar in the back?

If so, how much improvement was noticed?

Sherpa

Reaction score
My f250 was a single rear wheel. Didn’t need a rear sway bar.

to the guy saying his boat/trailer was 8500#:

while that’s a lot of weight, I’ve towed more.
Friends 10k cap flatbed trailer was all steel, weighed about 4000#, and the Jeep weighed all of 5000#. Big tires, big axles, big motors and all the crap that keeps it together weighs a lot.

to the guys talking about extended hitch receivers:

I built my own. I built in a solid 1” of “preload” tongue weight for towing...

the Jack’s on my rig were those older hydraulic pump hacks.. you end up walking around a lot after doing 3-4 pumps per corner until you’re off the truck. Lol..

—Sherpa
Custom camper tie down bracket tongue extender Maker master fabricator! Lol

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
If we're talking about spending 40k, why not get a 22-25ft rv? Going to take up similar space, has much more storage room, and won't be quite as much of a compromise when it's time to tow.

sintax

Reaction score
If we're talking about spending 40k, why not get a 22-25ft rv? Going to take up similar space, has much more storage room, and won't be quite as much of a compromise when it's time to tow.

For me it’s the other shit that goes along with it, another engine / trans to maintain, another thing to insure, another thing to smog, another damn DMV envelope each year.

Beyond that, storing a 24’ motorhome would require a storage lot, where as I could stash the camper in my driveway out of the way. I also don’t really need that much space. I try to be “less as more” as much as I can.

Ol Man

Reaction score
To me, I would look for an older class A in the 22-24 foot range. Years ago Winnebago made some nice ones. Have not been following in recent years. You get everything inside that you need and lots of space (considering the size). You have good fresh water, grey and black capacity. You get a 454 or so engine. You can tow pretty much anything. You get a nice generator and roof air.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
For me it’s the other shit that goes along with it, another engine / trans to maintain, another thing to insure, another thing to smog, another damn DMV envelope each year.

Beyond that, storing a 24’ motorhome would require a storage lot, where as I could stash the camper in my driveway out of the way. I also don’t really need that much space. I try to be “less as more” as much as I can.

I get that, definitely no perfect solution.

TrojanDan

Reaction score
Did any SRW truck guys install a sway bar in the back?

If so, how much improvement was noticed?

No sway bar needed for my 2005 3500 SRW. I had Firestone Airbags for leveling (I ran air fills independently since the slide out side was heavier), Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, Torklift frame mounted tie downs with Fastguns, and Load Range E tires (10 ply tires). I also added an independent solenoid that would charge my camper’s house batteries while driving.

TrojanDan

Reaction score

Plus a 4x4 with a camper will get you to a lot more places a motorhome might not venture.

USMC2010

Reaction score
I have Firestone airbags amd tork lift quick disconnect stable loads. Originally I only had air bags but the combination is way better.

USMC2010

Reaction score
We went with the TC because of the practicality. Having two dogs at the time, hotels and setting up our dogs was more expensive than just the TC payment. The big plus is dropping it and being able to use the pickup on it's own. My 2007 Lance was one of the early models with wireless electric jacks. I could have the camper offloaded and level in 13 minutes. I'd get a lot of lookers back then at Cattail cove.

Rye

Reaction score
Obviously get the setup that best suits your style or otherwise, whether it be truck camper, motor home or trailer but there is no licensing on the TC, at least in AZ there is not.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
To me, I would look for an older class A in the 22-24 foot range. Years ago Winnebago made some nice ones. Have not been following in recent years. You get everything inside that you need and lots of space (considering the size). You have good fresh water, grey and black capacity. You get a 454 or so engine. You can tow pretty much anything. You get a nice generator and roof air.
There is a nice middle ground here as well. UJOR does quite a few of these conversions.

last1

Reaction score
We took my old F350 7.3 single wheel and a Lance 835, 8.5 long. Pulled my Eliminator 28 Daytona twin. We have done this trip 2 Times Phoenix to Lotto. First trip was 2012. Was gone for a month. Lotto then to Tenn to our sons. Then boated around there then down to Pickwick. Then over to Texas, to lake Travis. We have a Host 9.5 single slide now, and a dually truck, slide makes them pretty heavy. Done both camper and motothome. I like the truck and camper better, wife likes motorhome better. No such thing as perfect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210328-074806.png
    Screenshot_20210328-074806.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 34

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The first time I talked to Mark at Weekend Warrior, he was still in a small building, creating stuff on his own, and I still had my half ton truck. We talked about making a 5th wheel trailer that would work with my little half ton.

Damm I'm glad that never came to fruition! lol

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I see these pics are of older trucks which is good , later model trucks the boxes are not as strong as they used to be [ fragile I know I own one ] a while back in a gas station filling up I watched the traffic cruise by in a light construction area in front here comes this fairly new F350 dually big pickup camper with over the cab beds coming by slowly the bed to cab lines did not line up any more , box twisting , over the cab area moving up and down even with frame stabilizers , not good watch out .
No, not really. The fully boxed frames of the modern 3/4 and 1 tons trucks are MILES stronger. The issue is more so that the big dog campers have gotten a CRAP load heavier. The Hosts I posted the videos of earlier in the thread weigh over 6k! A modern 45+ series truck is what is truly required now-a-days.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

575cat

Reaction score
Not talking about the frame I owned a couple late models the box material very light I can dent or wrinkle it easy compared to my old 99,s , dont lash anything to heavy to the corner eyelets they will start pulling up , like I was saying I cant believe how this ford had already twea the box out of alingnment just telling what I see and deal with .

hallett21

Reaction score
Stupid question. Is max payload and max tongue weight assuming the other is at zero lbs or at max?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score