WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Truck Horn Problem

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
My neighbor called me and said hey your truck (2004 F350) horn is just going off. Not the alarm, just the normal horn. Luckily, I was close to home.

So, I have a train horn wired in that has been fine for close to six years. In order to avoid it going off again, I've just pulled the fuse. This is either self inflicted due to my wiring or potentially the squib went out.

Now, I'm looking to get it fixed. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd rather not take it to the dealership.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
So the train horn is going off? Or the normal?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Look in the manual if you have it, and try swapping the horn relay with another. If you put the fuse back in, and the horn goes off, you probably have a goofy wire in the column harness. Usually you can check that by moving the column tilt up and down, and see if it stops.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
My guess would be the chassis computer going out. Only because it's a known common problem with this era of trucks and I had the same exact issue with my 02 Excursion. Mine liked to do it randomly while I was driving. I also had issues with the automatic headlights and door locks.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So you wired the train horn to your normal horn circuit so they both go off when you hit the horn? I never liked that idea cause sometimes it's not a good idea to blare the train horn but still need to get someone moving. I.e. a person is slowing drastically or blocking the roadway with a cop nearby. I'd look at the connection you made to tie into the horn circuit if that's the case.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I took the “button” apart and it was full of fine sand dust. Blew it out with compressed air and sweetened it up with LPS greaseless lube.
The RV mirror control same problem.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So you wired the train horn to your normal horn circuit so they both go off when you hit the horn? I never liked that idea cause sometimes it's not a good idea to blare the train horn but still need to get someone moving. I.e. a person is slowing drastically or blocking the roadway with a cop nearby. I'd look at the connection you made to tie into the horn circuit if that's the case.

Train horn is run through a switch. Switch off and only regular horn sounds. On, both go off.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Train horn is run through a switch. Switch off and only regular horn sounds. On, both go off.
Gotcha! Ok. Does it still do it if you flip the switch to on?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Gotcha! Ok. Does it still do it if you flip the switch to on?

Yes, when I got home, I flipped it and the train horn started going.

I haven’t even messed with it that much. I was just hoping to have someone spot the problem and take care of it. I know if I try to fix it, I’ll get another call a week later saying it’s happening again.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
pull the airbag out, disassemble and put a new "horn contact" in. They're about $100.

532850d1505260774-horn-wont-work-f150-horn-switch.jpeg