WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Truck Prices...WTF

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
So I WAS!!!! Thinking about treating myself to a new truck, after the old F150 has served flawlessly for 26yrs and 140kmi.
WHOLLY FRICKIN MOTHER OF PEARL- WTF happened, No WAY in HELL am I paying more for a used F250 with 200kmi+ on it then I PAID FOR MY FRICKEN HOUSE!!!, these people are on flippin CRACK!! or at least the ones paying the prices are :rolleyes:. seriously I saw a listing for a 2003 7.3 4x excursion w/10kmi (gorgeous truck) but $85k...and I bet he gets it

So I looked at new ones :eek:$100k for a damn truck:rolleyes:

Then I read that there are 100k's new parked F-series waiting on chips to complete the builds, so what is going to happen here when all these new parked trucks hit the market that are going to have to be sold as 1-2 year old models?
Think I am just going to repaint the old F150 and call it good🥴

anyone want to buy a bad ass Wagoneer for $200k....LOL

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So I WAS!!!! Thinking about treating myself to a new truck, after the old F150 has served flawlessly for 26yrs and 140kmi.
WHOLLY FRICKIN MOTHER OF PEARL- WTF happened, No WAY in HELL am I paying more for a used F250 with 200kmi+ on it then I PAID FOR MY FRICKEN HOUSE!!!, these people are on flippin CRACK!! or at least the ones paying the prices are :rolleyes:. seriously I saw a listing for a 2003 7.3 4x excursion w/10kmi (gorgeous truck) but $85k...and I bet he gets it

So I looked at new ones :eek:$100k for a damn truck:rolleyes:

Then I read that there are 100k's new parked F-series waiting on chips to complete the builds, so what is going to happen here when all these new parked trucks hit the market that are going to have to be sold as 1-2 year old models?
Think I am just going to repaint the old F150 and call it good🥴

anyone want to buy a bad ass Wagoneer for $200k....LOL
But think of the f150 towing capabilities, well worth the price

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Yeah, things are crazy to say the least.

jet496

Reaction score
I'm going to sell a 2011 Silverado, extended cab with a topper (tool doors/shelves each side) and ladder rack with 200,000 miles. Runs great, maint records.

I was thinking of listing it at $9k but sounds like maybe I should bump that up.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I bought my 2003 F-250 5.4 that now has 130k on it for 13k 7 years ago, I almost feel I can get the same for it now.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I was offered $60K for my 2015 F250 that I paid $54 for brand new in 2014. Still might do that deal.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Silverado 1500HD…gets shit mileage but only 125K on it. I spent some $$ restoring the interior (new seat cushion and cover, steering wheel, etc..) and can put all new drivetrain in it for probably under $5K if I ever need to. Call it $10K to make it like new, $15K if repaint it. Can’t buy anything used with 125K miles for that price.

This might be why the auto parts industry is experiencing shortages…cheaper to keeper and fix ‘er.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Mid May purchased a 2021 f250 Platinum Diesel for 80K. Showroom floor had a nice F150 gasser with an interior nicer than the Platinum for 35K. This was in Dallas.
Maybe shop in Texas. FWIW this was at Town East Ford. I was there several times over a 2 week period and they seemed to get a new truck every other day or so but they kept selling them too. When I bought mine I just called dealer after dealer some had a truck or 2 in stock some had zero and they would claim don’t know when the next one is arriving trying to sell the used ones. But Town East Ford always seemed to have trucks. I paid $6000 over dealer Invoice but negotiated down from asking price of $10000 over dealer invoice at the beginning.
There was a guy on my first day there from Arizona who flew in to buy a truck.

Reactions: DWC

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
I need at least four new trucks for our biz and two equipment trailers.... fml.

Last edited:

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
You might see some good sales in the fall if the Chip Shortage ever works itself loose. There’s going to be a glut of vehicles hitting the market whenever that happens!

I feel your pain. I can probably sell my 2001 F350 7.3L Dually Crew Cab for almost what I paid for it new 20 years ago. I’ll probably never get a new truck now. I just can’t wrap my ahead around paying $100K for a damn pickup. 🤦‍♂️

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have what you need.
Practically brand new with 15,600 miles
Only $45,700
E55DF843-923C-4616-8AB7-6CC4279870F4.jpeg

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I just want to know if you have been living under a rock. There are many many post about the current truck market.
YES I have....haven't been able to leave my desk for several years with all the new homes in Havasu I need to get done :rolleyes: at triple the price they were 2 years ago;), nor have I really been on RDP much in the last few years.... something wrong with wanting to have my cake and eat it too......LOL

CLdrinker

Reaction score
YES I have....haven't been able to leave my desk for several years with all the new homes in Havasu I need to get done :rolleyes: at triple the price they were 2 years ago;), nor have I really been on RDP much in the last few years.... something wrong with wanting to have my cake and eat it too......LOL
Wait your making triple the price in your work but don’t want to pay double on a new truck.

Shit you want the whole bakery lol

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Sold my dually for well more that what I paid brand new in 2017 to a dealer. Tried selling it myself for a couple weeks and the offers I was getting from actual buyers were all less than dealers.

I was told the market will be flooded by next year and you'll see great deals from dealers and probably 0% financing. I didn't want a dually anymore anyways so thought I'd sit and wait to see how it plays out. Love not having to wash that damn thing!

boatnam2

Reaction score
Save all the hassle, I will sale you my 2021 with 3500 miles on it. already lifted and ready for those Havasu monsoons. Its not the highly sought after f-150 but a 250 dsl, make easy work hauling all those blue prints around.

Last edited:

D19

Reaction score
Gas half tons are not that bad, I'm shopping for one now. The diesels are just crazy though!

D19

Reaction score
Sold my dually for well more that what I paid brand new in 2017 to a dealer. Tried selling it myself for a couple weeks and the offers I was getting from actual buyers were all less than dealers.

I was told the market will be flooded by next year and you'll see great deals from dealers and probably 0% financing. I didn't want a dually anymore anyways so thought I'd sit and wait to see how it plays out. Love not having to wash that damn thing!

I took my car to Carmax in Jan then decided not to do anything. I took it yesterday and was offered 4k more. I listed if for just a tad over that last night and I've had at least 30 inquires. Most from dealers. The KBB instant cash offer was even higher but I figure if I try to redeem at a dealer, they'll just lowball me when I get there.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I took my car to Carmax in Jan then decided not to do anything. I took it yesterday and was offered 4k more. I listed if for just a tad over that last night and I've had at least 30 inquires. Most from dealers. The KBB instant cash offer was even higher but I figure if I try to redeem at a dealer, they'll just lowball me when I get there.
Auto nation offered me 39k. I turned down 43k nada has a high of 50k on my truck.

D19

Reaction score
Auto nation offered me 39k. I turned down 43k nada has a high of 50k on my truck.

Nice. I know that banks sometimes charge a higher rate if you buy private party. Dealers defiantly have the upper hand. A tad over my carmax offer will make me happy. I hate selling cars so I just want it gone quickly.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Nice. I know that banks sometimes charge a higher rate if you buy private party. Dealers defiantly have the upper hand. A tad over my carmax offer will make me happy. I hate selling cars so I just want it gone quickly.
Most everyone has cash

stoker

Reaction score
I recently bought a new dodge half ton. Out of curiosity I went on carvana website and entered my vin#, they offered me 3k more than what I paid for it new.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
trucks have been expensive for 10 years. This isnt new

If you actually compare trucks based on features and capability, they haven’t gone up a whole lot at all. If you are gonna put 10k lbs around occasionally, you don’t need a new diesel 3/4 ton that will 20K lbs.

When you want massaging seats, 15” screens, panoramic roofs, crash avoidance systems, and 22 speaker stereos, yea the price is gonna go up when you 15 year old truck had leather seats and a CD player.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I remember when my dad bought a ‘93 f350 xlt dually and the sticker was $34,000. I was like holly fuck that’s a fortune.

now that gets you a beat half ton with close to 100k miles with interior so bad you could shit on the seat and nobody would tell the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: D19

D19

Reaction score
If you actually compare trucks based on features and capability, they haven’t gone up a whole lot at all. If you are gonna put 10k lbs around occasionally, you don’t need a new diesel 3/4 ton that will 20K lbs.

When you want massaging seats, 15” screens, panoramic roofs, crash avoidance systems, and 22 speaker stereos, yea the price is gonna go up when you 15 year old truck had leather seats and a CD player.

Not really. I paid 42k for a LT2, crew cab (cloth seat) Duramax in 2008. I can't even touch a 2-3 year old one with the same options for anywhere near that. It's pretty difficult to even find a new WT for under 60k.

You really can't compare a tubro diesel 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton gasser. That's like comparing a Mazda Miata to a Corvette. Both trucks handle, ride, brake, accelerate completely different.

This truck was upgraded to the max and I had maybe 60k into it total. You could not build one like it for that money today.
IMG_5875.JPG

Last edited:

buck35

Reaction score
What should a 07 l t z half ton go for 75,000 miles

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not really. I paid 42k for a LT2, crew cab (cloth seat) Duramax in 2008. I can't even touch a 2-3 year old one with the same options for anywhere near that. It's pretty difficult to even find a WT for under 60k.

You really can't compare a tubro diesel 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton gasser. That's like comparing a Mazda Miata to a Corvette. Both trucks handle, ride, brake, accelerate completely different.

You can absolutely compare the 2 by their tow ratings. If you are towing 10k lbs a modern 1/2 ton can handle it, which was about what a 3/4 ton SRW 2008 Duramax was rated for. A modern half ton with a higher end engine will ride better, stop faster, and out accelerate the 08 Dmax. The new 1/2 ton has bigger brakes and a stiffer chassis.

Covid pricing aside, you can get a 1/2 ton with the same CAPABILITIES and features as a 12-15 year old 3/4 ton for about the same price.

Would I tow 10k every day with a half ton? No. Is the 1/2 ton that can tow about 10k fine for occasional recreational towing, yes.

If you are going to talk about the Dmax being underrated, that is irrelevant, we are going by the ratings here, I’m not advocating anyone tow beyond what their vehicle was rated for, as that is breaking the law. You picture has your truck towing a 21’ boat A modern 1/2 ton will tow that with ease.

If you want to idle up the cajon pass while towing 5k lbs, spend $80k for a diesel and don’t cry about it. Or spend mid $40s on a 1/2 ton and give the truck 1/2 throttle up the pass. It is up to you.

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
A friend works for Ford in Illinois. Something to do with the plant. He sent me a video of an employee driving by the Ford truck plant in Kentucky. It looks like the apocalypse with brand new parked trucks everywhere. AlI waiting on chips. I think there is going to be a glut of trucks across the board in 6-8 months. I think it might crash the market and they're going to have to give them away.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You can absolutely compare the 2 by their tow ratings. If you are towing 10k lbs a modern 1/2 ton can handle it, which was about what a 3/4 ton SRW 2008 Duramax was rated for. A modern half ton with a higher end engine will ride better, stop faster, and out accelerate the 08 Dmax. The new 1/2 ton has bigger brakes and a stiffer chassis.

Covid pricing aside, you can get a 1/2 ton with the same CAPABILITIES and features as a 12-15 year old 3/4 ton for about the same price.

Would I tow 10k every day with a half ton? No. Is the 1/2 ton that can tow about 10k fine for occasional recreational towing, yes.

If you are going to talk about the Dmax being underrated, that is irrelevant, we are going by the ratings here, I’m not advocating anyone tow beyond what their vehicle was rated for, as that is breaking the law. You picture has your truck towing a 21’ boat A modern 1/2 ton will tow that with ease.

If you want to idle up the cajon pass while towing 5k lbs, spend $80k for a diesel and don’t cry about it. Or spend mid $40s on a 1/2 ton and give the truck 1/2 throttle up the pass. It is up to you.

What the older trucks were "rated" for, and how and what they actually tow, and how they feel towing, how they stop etc, are two different things.

a 2008 Duramax will tow circles around a modern 1/2 ton gasser regardless of what the tag in the door says. Hell a 2001 Duramax will.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What the older trucks were "rated" for, and how and what they actually tow, and how they feel towing, how they stop etc, are two different things.

a 2008 Duramax will tow circles around a modern 1/2 ton gasser regardless of what the tag in the door says. Hell a 2001 Duramax will.

My question is who cares about towing in circles if you are towing around a 5000 lb boat, or even a smaller toy hauler or trailer under 10k lbs.

The question is do you want to spend $80k to use 30% of a 3/4 ton truck or $40k to use 75% of 1/2 ton a truck.

If you are just using the truck for recreation on weekends, which scenario makes more sense?

If you want to spend more just to say you have a $80k diesel that can tow 20k lbs to tow your 21’ bote or enclosed trailer, go ahead, just don’t bitch about the prices, because that $80k price tag is based on the capabilities of the truck that you won’t even use.

Everyone I know with a 3/4 ton mid 2000s Dmax can only tow about 11-12k lbs anyway. The cooling system can’t keep up if they get on it so they just tiptoe around when towing :) But yea there is more power in reserve than with a 1/2 ton. Last time I checked everyone here tows at 55MPH always anyway, and leaves 5 football fields of space in front of them on the road.

But the towing police will be here soon to say their 2-3 decade old diesel trucks with smaller brakes, Wet noodle chassis and no safety features are better in every way for any towing job imaginable 😂 compared to any modern truck.

7732C09E-84A8-434B-B1D0-E3F3341D9920.jpeg

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
My question is who cares about towing in circles if you are towing around a 5000 lb boat, or even a smaller toy hauler or trailer under 10k lbs.

The question is you want to spend $80k to use 30% of a 3/4 ton truck or $40k to use 75% of 1/2 ton a truck.

If I’m just using the truck for recreation on weekends, which scenario makes more sense?

If you want to spend more just to say you have a $80k diesel that can tow 20k lbs to tow your 21’ bote or enclosed trailer, go ahead, just don’t bitch about the prices, because that $80k price tag is based on the capabilities of the truck that you won’t even use.

Everyone I know with a 3/4 ton mid 2000s Dmax can only tow about 11-12k lbs anyway. The cooling system can’t keep up if they get on it so they just tiptoe around when towing :) But yea there is power in reserve.

If you wanna tow 75 on cruise control, not slow into the passing lane on the grades, not worry about overheating if it's 120 out pulling grades, be able to stop the thing safely if the trailer brakes take a shit, not drop to 10mpg when something is on the hitch, etc, etc..... and we aren't even talking brand new to brand new here, we are talking 15 year old diesel to brand new gasser, that 15 year old diesel will put a beat down on a new 1/2 ton gasser in every one of those areas....

Do you NEED it? not really, But to dismiss it as having no benefits isn't being honest at all.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you wanna tow 75 on cruise control, not slow into the passing lane on the grades, not worry about overheating if it's 120 out pulling grades, be able to stop the thing safely if the trailer brakes take a shit, not drop to 10mpg when something is on the hitch, etc, etc..... and we aren't even talking brand new to brand new here, we are talking 15 year old diesel to brand new gasser, that 15 year old diesel will put a beat down on a new 1/2 ton gasser in every one of those areas....

Do you NEED it? not really, But to dismiss it as having no benefits isn't being honest at all.

I didn’t say there was no benefit, I said it may not be needed.

But for under 7000 lbs there is certainly no benefit of a 15 year old 3/4 ton truck to a new 1/2 ton one. The new trucks chassis is better, the new trucks brakes are bigger, the truck will tow at 75 just fine (it will run 75 at 10k lbs too). But yea a diesel will have more power in reserve.. but what are you gonna do try to pass someone at 90 while towing?

We are talking about towing here, it isn’t a speed contest. Both will run the speed limit up a hill towing 5000-7000 lbs.

If you want to spend double, go ahead. Like I said just don’t cry about the prices. You are buying a $80k truck that can tow double what your 12-15 year old one could. You are paying extra for more capacity and capability.

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I didn’t say there was no benefit, I said it may not be needed.

For under 7000 lbs there is certainly no benefit of a 15 year old 3/4 ton truck to a new 1/2 ton one. The chassis is better, the brakes are bigger, the truck will tow at 75 just fine (it will run 75 at 10k lbs too)

We are talking about towing here, it isn’t a speed contest. Unloaded the 1/2 ton is faster than a stock 15 year old diesel.

Lol it aint runnin 75 up a grade with 10k on the hitch without dropping 2 gears and flogging it to 5k with your foot all the way to the firewall.....

brakes are bigger? brakes themselves aint everything partner, you have axles, wheels and tires, and most importantly weight of the vehicle itself.

Put a 2005 duramax 3/4 ton vs a new 1/2 ton gasser with 10k on it, i'll bet money the Duramax out stops the 1/2 ton even with it's "smaller brakes"

You drive a modern half ton like that, it won't be around in 15 years like the diesel already is.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lol it aint runnin 75 up a grade with 10k on the hitch without dropping 2 gears and flogging it to 5k with your foot all the way to the firewall.....

brakes are bigger? brakes themselves aint everything partner, you have axles, wheels and tires, and most importantly weight of the vehicle itself.

Put a 2005 duramax 3/4 ton vs a new 1/2 ton gasser with 10k on it, i'll bet money the Duramax out stops the 1/2 ton even with it's "smaller brakes"

You been under a new 1/2 ton? The only thing bigger on a old 3/4 ton is the rear axle. The IFS on a 15 year old Dmax is puny compared to any new 1/2 ton. They have no down travel, and you have one, you the entire front ends are weak and rebuilds because they eat bearings joints and tie rods... and that not even towing anything. You raise it at all it rides like complete shit because it has no down travel.

What you are suggesting defies physics... a heavier object in motion is easier to stop 😂

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You been under a new 1/2 ton? The only thing bigger on a old 3/4 ton is the rear axle. The IFS on a 15 year old Dmax is puny compared to any new 1/2 ton. They have no down travel, and you have one, you the entire front ends are weak and rebuilds because they eat bearings joints and tie rods... and that not even towing anything. You raise it at all it rides like complete shit because it has no down travel.

Yeah my old man has a brand new F-150, great truck as a commuter deal, not even comparable in the towing departing.

You're right the old chevy IFS is a weak link, but that doesn't mean shit in the towing dept. Now if you are gonna go driving offroad that's a different story, you are gonna blow the CVs out of it.

Still better at towing than a new 1/2 ton.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah my old man has a brand new F-150, great truck as a commuter deal, not even comparable in the towing departing.

Like I said.. everyone is free to buy what they want.

D19

Reaction score
Like I said.. everyone is free to buy what they want.

Were you on the high school debate team? You sure love to argue and be right all the time.

You remind me of a politician, your argument always changes. You said that apples to apples you can buy a new truck for not much more than you could 10 years ago. That's not true, so you went on argue tow ratings LOL.