WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Truck Tires

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
One of the first things I noticed about the Michelin's was that they left rubber everywhere I made a turn.

The compound is a little on the soft side.

Its been over a decade ago now, but I had a tire disposal business for a few years back in ~04-08. I picked up all the used tires from discount, purcell, and a few other places here in the Albuquerque area. Most tires I picked up were bald, or super old, except michelins. I used to bail/shred tons of complete sets of light truck michelins that had 50% plus tread, with a few year old DOT date, but dry rot like crazy. Or michelins that had split sidewalls, etc. The other tire I got a lot of with odd failures in sets of 4 were bfg AT's. The majority of the other tires were onesies here and there. The good thing about getting all those LT michelins and BFG's, is I needed ~6 of them per bale to contain the ~150ish passenger car tires between. Worked out well! The remainder I chopped in half and threw into the middle of the bales.

DickieB

Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear that. I have LTXs on my 10k lb. service truck single rear wheel. 60k miles and driving on shit LA roads they are fine. What PSI are you running?
I'm on my second set of LTX's on my 2500 HD 4 x 4. 50,000+ miles on the first set and never had an issue except Discount said they were a 70K tire and they were wearing out too fast so they replaced them with new ones at a hell of a discount. I think I'm @ about 30,000 miles on this set and doing great.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I spoke with a customer today and let him know that I'll be a day late getting to the job as I needed to go to Havasu for tires. He understood and told me that he's had three tread separations on his Cheby express van while using the Michelin LTX tires. :eek:

I'll be using this excuse to get out of work from now on. :D

Its been over a decade ago now, but I had a tire disposal business for a few years back in ~04-08. I picked up all the used tires from discount, purcell, and a few other places here in the Albuquerque area. Most tires I picked up were bald, or super old, except michelins. I used to bail/shred tons of complete sets of light truck michelins that had 50% plus tread, with a few year old DOT date, but dry rot like crazy. Or michelins that had split sidewalls, etc. The other tire I got a lot of with odd failures in sets of 4 were bfg AT's. The majority of the other tires were onesies here and there. The good thing about getting all those LT michelins and BFG's, is I needed ~6 of them per bale to contain the ~150ish passenger car tires between. Worked out well! The remainder I chopped in half and threw into the middle of the bales.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Mich had a recall on the LTX and gave me a new free set.

I spoke with discount tire today and asked them again, for the fifth time, if they have experienced any problems with these tire. Their response was no.

I decided to do a google search and this is what I found.

Michelin Recalls Tires Due to Tire Tread Separation Dangers
Posted on January 27, 2014 by Colson Hicks Eidson
According to Michelinman.com, Michelin is recalling certain Michelin tires, due to the threat of tire tread separation. The recall began on January 6.

Michelin North America is recalling Michelin LTX M/S tires, size LT225/75R16 115/112R LRE, which were manufactured from January 10, 2010 through June 23, 2012. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that the recalled tires were used on certain Ford vehicles, and as replacement equipment on various brands of commercial light trucks, full-sized heavy duty vans, small RVs and some large pickup trucks.

Michelin will notify owners and Michelin dealers to replace the defective tires free of charge. Concerned owners may call Michelin Consumer Care at 1-800-231-5893. Owners may also call the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236.

warlock250

Reaction score
Thanks for scaring me away from 19.5's. I'll most likely stick with whatever is available at Discount Tire in 16''. I'd rather not buy new Alcoa's if I can find a 16'' tire that stays together.

I would buy the XPS without hesitation but with these tread separations, I'm rethinking Michellins quality. The truck is either too heavy or it's the tires.

I let the dealer know the axle weight of the truck and they assured me that I was fine with the LTX.
We have had nothing but problems lately with new trucks and Michelins. They are not the same as they were many years ago. We avoid them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk