WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to be mature, drinking scotch.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I'm trying to be mature at 52 and acquire a taste for scotch. It's growing on me, but damn a glass of scotch and I'm a mess. No idea how to dad could drink glasses of this stuff night after night. IMG_5785.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I like a neat Bourbon. Scotch is good too. Its a glass of straight liquor....it gets the job done very efficiently [emoji3]

d4l

Reaction score
Damn thats alot of ice lol once you find "your" accuired taste it can be heaven! Same goes for all 3, there are good and bad ones, and everyone had thier special teste, on that the insane amount of brands and all the different kinds within the brands. Hang in there and cheers!

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
I want to try scotch too,
Whats the best scotch for a newbie?
I heard Glenlevitt(SP) 12 ???

Tank

Reaction score
Eeeesh...Can't hang with Bourban, Scotch or Whiskey (unless its honey jack daniels, that stuffs pretty good). All that stuff tastes like an old ashtray to me. I like the clear liquors, specifically Vodka.

I actually just read your whole post..."I'm a mess..." that shits funny.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I think all that ice is making it taste weird!

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
The wife is a big fan of Glenlivit. I just can't develope a taste for it.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Good stuff

Try some irish whiskey too :thumbsup

d4l

Reaction score
Neat, over here in Sweden id say its closer to $50, but I usually go for a trip to germany a couple times a year to stach up, alot cheaper[emoji39]

Note: The Laphroaig might be a bit smokey as a starter, but man is it good when you get there.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
I used to drink Scotch, would always buy the good stuff. Now in retirement, I drink mostly Bourbans. Doesn't break the bank like a great Scotch can. Give me 2 fingers in the evening and I'm feeling good. Lately I've been drinking Makers 46 and Jeffersons Ocean - seems fitting while relaxing on the boat in the evenings.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Walked into an Irish pub and asked for a Jameson's . Old Irish dude said he wouldn't give Jameson's to his worst enemy. Gave me a glass of Powers Irish Whiskey. Only $25 at bevmo and very smooth. But still can't beat the burn and taste of a good 🥃 bourbon

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I have little excuse for not liking the stuff, these are relatives in Scotland and my fathers namesake.

They were known for a Mortlach single malt Scotch. Sold to Jonnie Walker years ago.

Attachments

• AA-Cowie-sign.jpg
    AA-Cowie-sign.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 48

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Walked into an Irish pub and asked for a Jameson's . Old Irish dude said he wouldn't give Jameson's to his worst enemy. Gave me a glass of Powers Irish Whiskey. Only $25 at bevmo and very smooth. But still can't beat the burn and taste of a good 🥃 bourbon

Jameson is my go to. Always have a handle in the cabinet. I'm having some right now. 🥃

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Give the Powers a try. Surprised the shit out of me, and it's the "1 selling Irish Whiskey in Ireland[emoji15]

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Where's Yopengo? He's got some good stuff in his bar.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Laphroaig is too mature for a noob! He needs less peet like a Tomintoul 16. This is a $39.00 scotch at Bev Mo that will teach you alot!

You're right it is. I was just thinking about myself lol.

I honestly think Jameson is a great starter for whiskey/scotch newbies.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I've been drinking scotch tonight. Glen morangie12. Then some tequila. Macallans is by far and away the best that you can drink. It is almost impossible to find though. The asians have blown it out of the water from a price standpoint. Laphroig and lagavulan are way too smokey for me. I like a sweeter scotch. Glen livet and glen fiddick are close, but no macallans. The 18 is $260-300 a bottle if you can find it. The 12 is $50 a bottle. The Japanese whiskeys are really good too, they are trying to be like scotch

d4l

Reaction score
I've been drinking scotch tonight. Glen morangie12. Then some tequila. Macallans is by far and away the best that you can drink. It is almost impossible to find though. The asians have blown it out of the water from a price standpoint. Laphroig and lagavulan are way too smokey for me. I like a sweeter scotch. Glen livet and glen fiddick are close, but no macallans. The 18 is $260-300 a bottle if you can find it. The 12 is $50 a bottle. The Japanese whiskeys are really good too, they are trying to be like scotch

I like the Glen Morangie aswell, and there are rly good JP ones out there. The thing with the japanese are that when they pick something up they want to get good at it :)

rivergames

Reaction score
Screw scotch (although I drink it occasionally)....bourban all the way. I drink a glass of bourban a few times a week and it goes down real well!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
For a blended scotch I prefer Famouse Grouse, infinitely better than Johny Walker.

For single malt I always have a bottle of 12 year Highland Park. I like the highland scotch better than the Isley liquors.

However...

If I want to treat myself it is a Mccallan or Laphroaig 18 year...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If you are ever in the Glendale Calif area you might want to try the Tam'O Shanter.
Excellent Prime Rib and scotch at good prices IMHO.

More importantly you can sit at the bar and drink your way around Scotland.
Samples of some great Scotch.

It's a fun visit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

o.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

o.jpg

BTW:
My mom worked for Disney back in the day and at one time Disney Studios was just down the street where Glendale Bl turns into Hyperion.
They'd take lunch there all the time.

The rumor (and repeated by his daughter) Walt didn't drink nor like good cuts of meat is baloney my mom would say.
"Maybe not at home around his kids but he chain Smoked Chesterfields and loved scotch and prime rib" my mom's story went.
His favorite breakfast was prime rib hash the tale goes further.

DC-88

Reaction score
Macallans.

I'm about 30% complete on a a big custom house for a cool older guy who gave me a big bottle of that for Christmas. One of these days when my balls drop it's getting cracked!

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
I want to try scotch too,
Whats the best scotch for a newbie?
I heard Glenlevitt(SP) 12 ???

Whisky like wine has many varieties. I would suggest either Johnny Walker Black or Chivas Regal. Both are 12 year old blended.

The best way is to have a double/rocks with a steak of your liking. Drink a little before, consume balance during your steak.

The single malt and more extensive aged Whisky can get an odd flavor to them and either you dig it...or you don't.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Bevmo $52

73785.jpg

I know some scotch fanatics that can't drink a single malt.
They love their blended, but just can't get dialed into a single.

72Hondo

Reaction score

Wasn't a huge fan, always heard you're supposed to cut it with water.

Oban 14 is good

Been curious of the Kirkland stuff.

McAllen - too smokey for my taste

I'm a glenfiddich guy, 3 ice cubes. Don't want it super cold but don't want it room temp either.

Best stuff I've ever had;

IMG_2079.jpg

Been eying these too

IMG_2630.jpg
IMG_2631.jpg

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The rumor (and repeated by his daughter) Walt didn't drink nor like good cuts of meat is baloney my mom would say.
"Maybe not at home around his kids but he chain Smoked Chesterfields and loved scotch and prime rib" my mom's story went.
His favorite breakfast was prime rib hash the tale goes further.

I've read a little bit about the man, he was very aware that "Walt Disney" was a character of Walt Disney, if you get what I'm saying. The guy on TV in the 50's wasn't the same guy that ran Disney Company.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
My wife is into Old Weller made by same place that make Pappy's. I pretty much drink beer

rvrrun

Reaction score
I got started drinking it after a J Walker tasting/event. They took you into a room and gave you highlands, lowlands Islay's and others that they blend from. That's what made it interesting, tasting all of the different regions in the single malts. It's not my go to liquor, but it's great on a cold rainy night by the fire. It's the whole experience, it's a solitary, selfish alone-time beverage. When I started drinking it, Blue Label was my go to. Now that is my wife's favorite, but I am slowly turning her on to some of the singles. I am more into the Isaly singles now, it's like taking a trip to the island with every sip. The barrels a permeated by the sea air and you can smell and taste the differences in the regions. I also keep black label on hand for mixed cocktails like an Old Fashioned.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I prefer Bourbon over scotch.

I recently picked up a bottle of Johnny blue and after having a few glasses I prefer a $40 bottle of Gentleman Jack over a $220 bottle of Johnny blue.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I prefer Bourbon over scotch.

I recently picked up a bottle of Johnny blue and after having a few glasses I prefer a $40 bottle of Gentleman Jack over a $220 bottle of Johnny blue.

Agreed.
Not a fan of blended at all.

My first and only time at the Playboy Mansion was for a scotch tasting event sponsored by Johnny Walker.

I learned two things:
1. Heff is a pimp (in the best possible way) and had the hottest chicks on earth waiting to dorm at the mansion.

2. Johnny Walker blends are vanilla compared to a good single malt.

rvrrun

Reaction score
I'm iffy with Scotch but I love me some Bourbon. [emoji1303]

It seems to be like that. I like both, but can't take bourbon neat or otr, gotta be in a julep or a toddy.

It's usquebaugh for me. Slainte.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Some whiskies like a splash of water, a single cube or neat. I'm not one of those that has to have it neat every time... it really depends on the distiller.

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get on the Scotch thing. I have a bunch of friends that drink it regularly and struggle through it. A customer just gave me a couple of bottles of Buchanan's and told me its the best. I try to sip it and its rough.