WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to be mature, drinking scotch.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I'm trying to be mature at 52 and acquire a taste for scotch. It's growing on me, but damn a glass of scotch and I'm a mess. No idea how to dad could drink glasses of this stuff night after night.

Maybe you didn't realize you were such a pain in the ass? :)

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
C'mon Walt, Crown Royal Vanilla is a far cry from mature[emoji23]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
My wife is into Old Weller made by same place that make Pappy's. I pretty much drink beer

When my FIL passed away, my wife got most of his liquor cabinet. One of the bottles in the haul was an Old Weller 101 proof from the 70's

PaPaG

Reaction score
Great Starter or weekly would be to go with Glenlivet 12 (around 27-30 at Costco) for a single malt and even though I really like single vs double. A good blend is Crown Royal 75th Monarch Anniversary is also very good (around 55-65), never tried a regular Crown Royal though. Stepping it up a bit I would try the Glenlivet 18, then for special occasions or once in a while step it up even more to a really good 17 year old called The Balvenie Doublewood (around 100 bucks), and my favorite so far is Macallan 18 (if lucky around 190-but up to 240 now that it is the flavor of the year for a lot of foreign markets, if you want to try a few blends JW Blue is not bad but pricey (costco on sale 150, but outside liquor stores can go as high as 240), and I found a really really good blend, 35 scotch blends, 40th anniversary called Baron's Select 40th, really really surprisingly good (200-225). There are so many others, give a few a try and pick the one you really like or find yourself thinking hmm that was a good glass of scotch... Combine it with a good cigar and you can't go wrong.

72Hondo

Reaction score
I'm still trying to get on the Scotch thing. I have a bunch of friends that drink it regularly and struggle through it. A customer just gave me a couple of bottles of Buchanan's and told me its the best. I try to sip it and its rough.

Buchanan's is pure crap.

rvrrun

Reaction score
When my FIL passed away, my wife got most of his liquor cabinet. One of the bottles in the haul was an Old Weller 101 proof from the 70's

These are the best of the best from my parents cabinet. I'm letting both mature a bit longer.

IMG_3056.jpg

SKIA36

Reaction score

Laphroig is like putting a charcoal briquette in your mouth, way peety..

Glenmorangie small batches are the best, Nectar D' Or, Taughta, Tusail, Milsean. The 18 year and the Original 12 yr are also very good. McCallan, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Jura 16, Berrys, Montgomeries. All reasonably priced and excellent. Try them all and see what fits your taste... but try them neat to test each apples to apples. Try to see if your palate can discern the flavors the bottle describes.

Drink them neat or dont bother, 1 drop of spring water with steel cubes if you like it cold. Try the different ways, you will be suprised in the taste.

Yamazaki 18 is very nice but $$$$.

Wine & More has a great selection and good prices.