WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to blow up PDF drawings

Nordie

Reaction score
I'm dealing with some pretty detailed shop drawings and I want to explode some parts of it. I have a wide format printer, and what I'm looking at trying to do is retain as much of the 11" side as possible, but the 17" part maybe expanding it a little bit. It's to help my foreman in the field with proper rebar placement.

Maybe there's a software out there I can download.

20210408_140048.jpg

For instance I want to retain the the 11" vertical position, but maybe break up the drawing in 2 and print it on the 17" side. I have no idea if this even makes sense.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'm dealing with some pretty detailed shop drawings and I want to explode some parts of it. I have a wide format printer, and what I'm looking at trying to do is retain as much of the 11" side as possible, but the 17" part maybe expanding it a little bit. It's to help my foreman in the field with proper rebar placement.

View attachment 990303

For instance I want to retain the the 11" vertical position, but maybe break up the drawing in 2 and print it on the 17" side. I have no idea if this even makes sense.

I can convert it CAD, can you open CAD? then you can zoom sections with out distortion

evantwheeler

Reaction score

View attachment 990303

In adobe, click on the little mouse cursor icon, its called the selection tool. Click and drag over the area you want to print blown up, it will be highlighted in a blue box now. Select file, print. When the print screen opens, under the Pages to Print section, click the more options arrow. Select "Current View" button. You'll have to choose what size paper you want to print on, but this will let you selectively print areas on a sheet at a much larger scale, but remember now you CANNOT scale the drawing after printing the enlarged view.

Here is a quick Youtube video. Not exact same method as I described, but same result.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have access to CAD

What's your location? I can possibly print it on our plotter in large format. Just not sure if the resolution would suffer blowing it up.

Nordie

Reaction score
What's your location? I can possibly print it on our plotter in large format. Just not sure if the resolution would suffer blowing it up.

I appreciate it, but I'm in Vegas. I'm not worried about scaling it, just blowing it up a little to better visibly see what the heck the engineer was doing.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I appreciate it, but I'm in Vegas. I'm not worried about scaling it, just blowing it up a little to better visibly see what the heck the engineer was doing.

if you want to send me the file and I can see what we can do, let me know.

69hondo

Reaction score
Is it a structural drawing or your detailers drawing?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I have CADD back home but my son has access to that and Revit if you have the file we could make it happen some how. Just post up and let me know.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Did you try holding down the Control key and punching the + key? That zooms the screen in...

Reactions: C-2

AzMandella

Reaction score
Zoom in on what you want to print using the + and - buttons at the top . Scroll up and down and right and left to center what you want to print in the middle of the screen . click on print and in the printer settings select "current view" I do it every day to blow up PDF's so I can read them to draw in AutoCad .

Icky

Reaction score
Zoom in on what you want to print using the + and - buttons at the top . Scroll up and down and right and left to center what you want to print in the middle of the screen . click on print and in the printer settings select "current view" I do it every day to blow up PDF's so I can read them to draw in AutoCad .
This, or in bluebeam you can print window, select the window around the area you wish to print.

C-2

Reaction score
Did you try holding down the Control key and punching the + key? That zooms the screen in...

This, and snap a pic using "Snip & Sketch" then send him the jpg pic. I do it all the time with documents. Snip & Sketch is a tool included with Windows.

Nordie

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help, I couldn't get it to work last night or this morning. I finally called the office and they're going to fire up the KIP and run me some 24 x 36's. I usually try to avoid the office as the job is only 6 miles from the house and the office is the complete opposite way.

How the PDFs open up in my email they don't give me a lot of choices in programs I can open it up in (personal laptop). So then I hooked up my work laptop to my printer and for some reason I couldn't get the software to load up on my work laptop.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@Inland Air Balance

Thanks for everyone's help, I couldn't get it to work last night or this morning. I finally called the office and they're going to fire up the KIP and run me some 24 x 36's. I usually try to avoid the office as the job is only 6 miles from the house and the office is the complete opposite way.

How the PDFs open up in my email they don't give me a lot of choices in programs I can open it up in (personal laptop). So then I hooked up my work laptop to my printer and for some reason I couldn't get the software to load up on my work laptop.

My only question would be...

Do you have Adobe Reader installed? Dave at Inland Air Balance works with this kinna stuff all the time. I'm sure he knows more that me about what the best way to handle this should be.

Nordie

Reaction score
@Inland Air Balance

My only question would be...

Do you have Adobe Reader installed? Dave at Inland Air Balance works with this kinna stuff all the time. I'm sure he knows more that me about what the best way to handle this should be.

I don't doubt it, maybe I just don't have the right software installed. I thought I had Adobe installed on my Lenovo, but maybe I don't. I am a dumb ironworker, so I'm most likely wrong. Usually I employ my brother for this type of help, but we're not exactly seeing eye to eye at the moment.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I don't doubt it, maybe I just don't have the right software installed. I thought I had Adobe installed on my Lenovo, but maybe I don't. I am a dumb ironworker, so I'm most likely wrong. Usually I employ my brother for this type of help, but we're not exactly seeing eye to eye at the moment.

Make sure you uncheck the boxes that want you to install MacAffe. Then click Download Acrobat Reader.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If you want to send me the file, I can convert, enlarge, whatever with it and send it back to you.

Try bluebeam its more robust than Adobe with pdf files. They have a 30 trial version
This, or in bluebeam you can print window, select the window around the area you wish to print.
Bluebeam...... its FAR better for construction purposes than Adobe. Much easier to use as well.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If you want to send me the file, I can convert, enlarge, whatever with it and send it back to you.

Bluebeam...... its FAR better for construction purposes than Adobe. Much easier to use as well.

I've heard this as well.