WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to decide on a truck

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I need to buy a truck this year for tax purposes and have been searching pretty hard. Got it narrowed down to 2 right now and want the valuable opinion of RDP as to what I should do.

4x4, crew cab and white are what I want. I was really crushing hard on the new Silverado's, but if going brand new the RAM seems like it has way more comfort features for the price.

First contender -

2016 F250 Platinum Diesel that is listed on here. Truck looks super clean, 75K miles and is within my budget.

Second contender -

Brand new RAM 1500.

https://www.jackpowell.com/inventor...-hornlone-star-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srfft6ln413302 - Kind of digging this blacked out grey one actually

hallett21

Reaction score
F250. Truck prices aren’t going down anytime soon and I believe you only use a truck for vacations?

F250 already took the “off the lot” hit and you won’t put a god awful amount of miles on it.

Also F250 is more capable in all categories. Maintenance is more but you’re not putting 30k a year on it.

If this is a DD I’d be looking at halftons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmo24

Reaction score
Daily driver? Go dodge 1/2 ton. Towing boat and loaded go diesel. I had a 2016 gas F250 CC that I loved

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
We buy fleets of ram 1500’s for our reps. They don’t like em. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a ram 2500 when they had the employee pricing on them a few months back. I got scared and missed the deal. I like the gmc list here a lot I’ve just been so busy that I haven’t had a chance to make anything happen. Now 2ff got me thinking find the smallest rv with a diesel and use it every weekend and it will tow horses if I need it to. I dunno but I’m following

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Daily driver? Go dodge 1/2 ton. Towing boat and loaded go diesel. I had a 2016 gas F250 CC that I loved

No won't be a daily driver. I will still have my Fusion.
F250. Truck prices aren’t going down anytime soon and I believe you only use a truck for vacations?

F250 already took the “off the lot” hit and you won’t put a god awful amount of miles on it.

Also F250 is more capable in all categories. Maintenance is more but you’re not putting 30k a year on it.

If this is a DD I’d be looking at halftons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't plan on it being a daily driver as I will still have my Fusion, but haven't had a truck in awhile so will probably drive it at least a couple times per week in the beginning......lol

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I'm cracking up. Wife gets chrome delete on her old suv, hubby gets a new vehicle. [emoji4][emoji56][emoji6][emoji16]
Btw...First On Race Day[emoji846]
She wants me to get a truck and she loves her SUV, wouldn't let me sell it if I tried!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
She wants me to get a truck and she loves her SUV, wouldn't let me sell it if I tried!

I get it, I was just pulling your leg a bit lol, however, just thinking about the scenario made me chuckle.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’ve bought all my new trucks in October. Nicest truck for long drives was my Ford I recently sold.

I currently have a 2019 half ton Chevy and hate it. It’s been in the shop a handful of times for the transmission and already had three recalls. The seats are absolute shit on long drives. Most uncomfortable interior but it has an auto release tailgate lol

I don’t have any experience with the Ram but they look nice. Stick to the Ford and Ram.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I vote for 3/4ton. Only reason to buy a 1/2ton is if it’s a daily driver or you don’t want to spend more for a 3/4ton.
Neither are problems for you.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If you are just lugging you’re boat around get a 1/2 ton Joe. Ride is better, and it is cheaper to own and operate.

If you are planning to get a travel trailer or something, 3/4 ton might be worth considering.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
You dont get the Section 179 write off on used if I recall correctly and I am not sure if half ton trucks qualify. Actually scratch that the half tons are on the list.

Here is the list. As a business owner I would buy new and take advantage of 179.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I drive a 1 ton daily and its smooth as F**k. 17' F-350 long bed Platinum..... It does get little long at times but again it rides almost like a car.... Want a 450 next..

Wont waist time on a 1/2 ton, you limit yourself to much down the road.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You dont get the Section 179 write off on used if I recall correctly and I am not sure if half ton trucks qualify. Actually scratch that the half tons are on the list.

Here is the list. As a business owner I would buy new and take advantage of 179.

As of last year Section 179 was for new and used trucks. Pretty sure for 2020 it is as well. I know members here have leveraged it with used vehicles.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I need to buy a truck this year for tax purposes and have been searching pretty hard. Got it narrowed down to 2 right now and want the valuable opinion of RDP as to what I should do.

4x4, crew cab and white are what I want. I was really crushing hard on the new Silverado's, but if going brand new the RAM seems like it has way more comfort features for the price.

First contender -

2016 F250 Platinum Diesel that is listed on here. Truck looks super clean, 75K miles and is within my budget.

Second contender -

Brand new RAM 1500.

https://www.jackpowell.com/inventor...-hornlone-star-4x4-crew-cab-1c6srfft6ln413302 - Kind of digging this blacked out grey one actually
I am on my 2nd Ram 1500 Diesel. I love it. 1st one was a 16 Ram Crew Bid horn and the 2nd one is an 18 Larmine. Both 4x4. The features are awesome and the ride is great. It's a snail compared to the Gas 5.7 but I got great deals on the diesel at the time and actually paid less then I would have for the 5.7. If not I would have gone the 5.7..

I think it comes down to what the future hold for regarding towing, the Ram 1500 cant complete with F250 towing wise. But when you are not towing the 1500 is going to be a more comfortable daily driver. That is why I went with a new 1500 over a used 2500. I don't tow anything crazy and I drive a lot so I wanted to be a comfortable as possible. Plus brand new over used warranty wise is always a plus.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
If its going to SIT alot i would stay with gas power diesel's dont like to sit for long periods of time
the fuel tend to gum up and clog things

YeahYeah01

Reaction score

YUP. Thats why I got rid of my 2016 and bought the 2018. Worked out amazingly.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

I will double check with the CPA but when I brought up the options, there was no mention of used not being able to qualify.

Wife likes the new RAM, but wants leather and I really don't want to pay for it so leaning towards the F250.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
If its going to SIT alot i would stay with gas power diesel's dont like to sit for long periods of time
I would drive it a couple times per week. Think sitting for 3 days or so at a time would be a big deal??

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I will double check with the CPA but when I brought up the options, there was no mention of used not being able to qualify.

Wife likes the new RAM, but wants leather and I really don't want to pay for it so leaning towards the F250.

Used qualifies. It did not used to, but it does now.

Don’t forget to add all the expenses associated with putting your vehicle into service... you know things like stereo, lift, wheels, tires, tint, bed liner, supercharger.. you know, the essentials. :)

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Also this will be more pertinent if you get a new or late model truck:

The feature to remote start the truck via your phone is money. On the Fords it is called FordPass and is free for life. I believe with Ram you have to pay a subscription after 3-5 years as of now (this may have changed). GM has a similar feature as well.

I turn on the truck when I get to Windsor No Wake Zone. It is ice cold in there by the time the wife or I hop in to retrieve the boat.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
I would drive it a couple times per week. Think sitting for 3 days or so at a time would be a big deal??

in that case yes
then i would go diesel better towing power for ???? toy hauler ??? bigger boat
and better resale value

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

This was back in the old days of diesel. Have you seen what new diesel fuel looks like? It's the color of Gatorade, and just about as thin!

Both of my diesels sit for months at a time. The only problem I have is that batteries after the sit for so long!

Joe...

The Ford Platinums ride like a dream, loaded or unloaded. Test drive one and you'll see.

I think most everyone knows the Dodge power train is solid, but the truck itself will self destruct. Not exactly a reliable piece.

Get the F250 and be ready for whatever your future my bring...

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

First contender -

Second contender -

Brand new RAM 1500.

16 and up Super Duty with the 6.7 and be done. I went through this search after my truck was stolen. Talked to a few different Diesel techs and all of them pointed me towards the ford. They did say the Dodge was a good set up, but replacement parts can get a bit expensive. Good luck.

Good Stuff

Reaction score

I put 10-12k miles per year on mine. Sometimes it sits for over a month and no issues. The dreaded 6.0 that has never stranded me and even ran about 100 miles on 3/4 Gasoline from my teenager filling it up a few years ago. Drained the tank, changed the fuel filters and filled it back up with diesel and it’s still running. My daughter is still alive too 🤣

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
16 and up Super Duty with the 6.7 and be done. I went through this search after my truck was stolen. Talked to a few different Diesel techs and all of them pointed me towards the ford. They did say the Dodge was a good set up, but replacement parts can get a bit expensive. Good luck.

For something he will drive once or twice a week unloaded and tow a 22’ boat, why?

It costs 30-50% more to buy, and it’s more costly to own, insure, register and maintain. When you factor in the higher resale value, you still lost more money on the truck than a 1/2 ton gasser of similar trim. Pre 07 Duramaxes are the exception, not the norm.

I can sort of see the argument for a 7.3 gasser F250, as that is literally 3-4 thousand thousand more than a similar F150. A diesel F250 is nearly 15k more than a similar F150.

Buying a diesel 3/4 ton because you might need it one day is like buying a Suburban for a commuter car because you might need to commute with 9 other people one day.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
For something he will drive once or twice a week unloaded and tow a 22’ boat, why?

It costs 30-50% more to buy, it’s more costly to own, insure, register and maintain. And when you factor in the higher resale value, you still lost more money on the truck than a 1/2 ton gasser of similar trim.

I can sort of see the argument for a 7.3 gasser F250, as that is literally 3-4 thousand thousand more than a similar F150. A diesel F250 is nearly 15k more than a similar F150.

Buying a diesel 3/4 ton because you might need it one day is like buying a Suburban for a commuter car because you might need to commute with 9 other people one day.

That’s the funny thing about perceived value. Everyone has their own view and none are wrong.

For instance... I hate this 1/2 ton of mine and want to go back to my dually lol

NicPaus

Reaction score
My little 1500 will tow over 9k lbs. Rides a lot better than my 2500 and 3500s and gets to the river on a little over half a tank. Was same price to keep my gas 2500 and ad the 1500 to the fleet as tradinginthe2500 for a diesel crew 4x4 loaded. Its loaded and nice to get it ready for trips when I have time a week before. Only really drive it to the river it sits the rest of the time.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That’s the funny thing about perceived value. Everyone has their own view and none are wrong.

For instance... I hate this 1/2 ton of mine and want to go back to my dually lol

If you like knowing you can tow 20k lbs if you wanted to and probably never will, it’s a free country, go for it. I didnt need a 700 HP sedan either, but I liked having it. I totally get it.

Just don’t rationalize it to me by saying the “resale is better” as you lost your ass on the total cost of ownership. Just say “This is what I wanted.” As you just did. :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
My little 1500 will tow over 9k lbs. Rides a lot better than my 2500 and 3500s and gets to the river on a little over half a tank. Was same price to keep my gas 2500 and ad the 1500 to the fleet as tradinginthe2500 for a diesel crew 4x4 loaded. Its loaded and nice to get it ready for trips when I have time a week before. Only really drive it to the river it sits the rest of the time.

The RDP towing gestapo is coming for you. No half ton can tow over 9000 lbs here. The standardized tow ratings of new trucks are not valid.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The RDP towing gestapo is coming for you. No half ton can tow over 9000 lbs here. The standardized tow ratings of new trucks are not valid.
Lol. I got a lot of shit for buying it from friends. If I had only 1 truck it would have to be diesel but both my work trucks are and rated at 17k tow as they are gross 30. I would need a class a to even use them to capacity. The new diesel equivalent is rated at 40k gross. My small truck is rated for 14,500 tow and gets used the most for hauling dump trailers. Hit the dump last night with 8k load and it doesn't hardly feel it unless going up the hill to pv.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

It wont, mine Dodge 2500 Cummins sits and waits for the boat, thats all we use it for, and if you are buying it for towing get the 2500, daily driver get the 1500. Its always better to have more truck than you need, and allows you to get a bigger boat.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Diesel all day. It’s already taken the depreciation hit, and will hold its value extremely well. Sitting for a week at a time won’t hurt it at all as long as it gets a decent amount of highway miles. It’s the short in-town trips that cause emissions issues. That white platinum is already set up and would be the perfect second/ fun truck.

I used to daily my ‘16 Ram, but ended up with an older Grand Marquis for my commuting duties. My Ram gets driven on my days off and when I want something different for my commute. I went from putting 12k a year on it to 5-8k. It sits sometimes for a week or two without issue.

The diesels hold their value extremely well, book on mine is within 3k of what I paid in ‘16, my truck only has 46k on it. I absolutely do not need a diesel, I sold my Toyhauler and my boat only weighs 5k or so, but there’s something to be said for driving something you like as opposed to what makes the most financial sense. You already have the DD, so the expenses will be minimized.

The end of the last gen Ford Super Duties are great trucks.

rlemn8r

Let's go to the river..
Reaction score
I just bought the same one you are looking at. 2020 big horn 4x4 in billet silver with the black package. It's my secong ram truck and would not hesitate getting another..

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

It costs 30-50% more to buy, and it’s more costly to own, insure, register and maintain. When you factor in the higher resale value, you still lost more money on the truck than a 1/2 ton gasser of similar trim. Pre 07 Duramaxes are the exception, not the norm.

When I bought my Chevy I went 6.0 gas because I owned a 19’ bayliner and a toyhauler was a might be. Now I wish I had a diesel. For me it’s either 2500 or 3500 dually. 2ff really fucked my world when he threw out the small rv option. Now I’m lost again

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When I bought my Chevy I went 6.0 gas because I owned a 19’ bayliner and a toyhauler was a might be. Now I wish I had a diesel. For me it’s either 2500 or 3500 dually. 2ff really fucked my world when he threw out the small rv option. Now I’m lost again

And how long have you had the truck and didn’t “need” it? With an RV you still won’t “need” the diesel.

I get it, if your life changes you might need a bigger truck down the road. Deal with it when it comes, as opposed to paying to have something around because you may need it one day.

Keep in mind I’m saying this from the perspective of the truck being a write off, not a personal purchase. If you need a bigger truck down the road, sell the current one and leverage the new truck for a new write off.

That little ‘24’ Class C with the full side side is sick.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 ram 2500. Traded in my 2018 ram 2500. Got a killer trade value and $1000 over dealer invoice on my new truck. I ordered it July 3rd. Got it last week. Wouldn’t change a thing. The new Rams have so much to offer. Even from 2018 - 2020.

91EECF0F-D45F-436D-B7DA-F562914A706F.png
D80FF978-9E24-4D7C-99EC-2151BD8EAEFD.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
The White f250 plat On here is bad ass! I was thinking hmmmmm not bad should I .....

but I’m not ready yet my 07 chubby is good for a few more years!

I would rock the F250 and will look fantastic tugging your float around.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 ram 2500. Traded in my 2018 ram 2500. Got a killer trade value and $1000 over dealer invoice on my new truck. I ordered it July 3rd. Got it last week. Wouldn’t change a thing. The new Rams have so much to offer. Even from 2018 - 2020.

View attachment 927664 View attachment 927665
Holy cow that’s night and day over the tradesman!! Damn I need to stop being a cheap ass I just fell in love with YOUR truck 😂😂😂

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
And how long have you had the truck and didn’t “need” it? With an RV you still won’t “need” the diesel.

I get it, if your life changes you might need a bigger truck down the road. Deal with it when it comes, as opposed to paying to have something around because you may need it one day.

Keep in mind I’m saying this from the perspective of the truck being a write off, not a personal purchase. If you need a bigger truck down the road, sell the current one and leverage the new truck for a new write off.

That little ‘24’ Class C with the full side side is sick.
Originally the horses was supposed to be down the road, but I’m setting up stalls now. I don’t need a big horse trailer or a big 5th wheel but I’m still trying to pitch it to the boss 😂😂

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Just get a freightliner, you'll never know when you might need to tow a 35' gooseneck.

Serious note, buy for right now not what you think you may need later. I almost bought a diesel for my toyhauler earlier this year with the incentives, really glad I didn't because I ended up in a motorhome anyways.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
OOPS, forgot to hit the send button.
It is there now, scroll down to image 10 on the thread.
Super nice man! Only want white or silver though. Should sell quick with those miles.

BajaMike

Reaction score

Thanks,good list!