WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to decide on a truck

Your ad here

Reaction score
If you can afford it and it won't create any hardships just get the 3/4 ton 4wd diesel. Don't come up with reasons (excuses) why you need or don't need it. Just go buy and enjoy.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I drive a 1 ton daily and its smooth as F**k. 17' F-350 long bed Platinum..... It does get little long at times but again it rides almost like a car.... Want a 450 next..

Wont waist time on a 1/2 ton, you limit yourself to much down the road.

it is stock?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
After putting 2.5” Kings in a Ram 2500, and now a Silverado 1500...yes. Hell yes.

My truck with 33” MT tires rides nicer than my buddy’s Sierra Denali with magnetic shocks and factory wheels/tires.

And my wife always says my truck rides better than her Suburban with factory “smooth-ride suspension”...one reason why I just created a post about putting Fox shocks on her ‘Burb.

My 2500 remarkably rode almost as nice as a 1500.

Beyond even ride quality, the chassis composure is great. You learn to not slow down for things like speed bumps, broken pavement, driveways, pretty much anything you’ll encounter on the street.

And obviously off-road is no comparison. The bottom-out resistance is tremendous.

The more energy you put into the shock, the better they respond. (Up to a point, of course, so don’t get stoopid...)

A well-designed suspension has compliant springs with quality shocks to manage the springs. But good shocks are expensive.

And most people never replace shocks, even after decades/hundreds of thousands of miles.

Carmakers know this. So they put stiff springs into vehicles so that they’re drivable with worn-out shocks. Trust me, I’ve had this same conversation with chief/chassis engineers from several carmakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here are a few pics!
IMG951458.jpg IMG951457.jpg IMG951459.jpg IMG951460.jpg

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
For quality and still reasonably priced with great resale value, I've been very happy with Toyota Tundra over the past years. Fine for towing short distance and lots of interior room. Considerably less then similar half ton models.
20181031_173651.jpg

CLdrinker

Reaction score
For quality and still reasonably priced with great resale value, I've been very happy with Toyota Tundra over the past years. Fine for towing short distance and lots of interior room. Considerably less then similar half ton models. View attachment 929899

I haven’t priced Tundras, but I know my buddy just paid 36k for a 2wd Tacoma.
That made me feel allot better about my 36k for a 3/4ton 4x4 Ram lol.

He does have a nicer stereo though.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I haven’t priced Tundras, but I know my buddy just paid 36k for a 2wd Tacoma.
That made me feel allot better about my 36k for a 3/4ton 4x4 Ram lol.

He does have a nicer stereo though.

I paid 42k out the door for my 2018 SR5 above TRD with 5.7 and 7 year warranty package fully loaded. What really got me though was they offered 29k for my 2014 Tundra with 75k miles on it. I only paid 37k for that one in 2014. They hold there value well and reliably is excellent. I do agree with what most have said about towing with a half ton. Short distance is fine but long distance needs a good diesel.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I paid 42k out the door for my 2018 SR5 above TRD with 5.7 and 7 year warranty package fully loaded. What really got me though was they offered 29k for my 2014 Tundra with 75k miles on it. I only paid 37k for that one in 2014. They hold there value well and reliably is excellent. I do agree with what most have said about towing with a half ton. Short distance is fine but long distance needs a good diesel.

The Toyota band wagon has a solid following. They seem to have fewer issues. I like the Tundras and if I ever go back to a halfton I would definitely consider it.

My buddies with Tacoma’s say I’m compensating for something by having a big truck.
I just say I only spent the same as you and got twice the engine size, 4wd a bed big enough to put your whole truck in and a cab big enough for adults.

Guess who gets picked to drive every year for the hunting trip. 😂

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
The Toyota band wagon has a solid following. They seem to have fewer issues. I like the Tundras and if I ever go back to a halfton I would definitely consider it.

My buddies with Tacoma’s say I’m compensating for something by having a big truck.
I just say I only spent the same as you and got twice the engine size, 4wd a bed big enough to put your whole truck in and a cab big enough for adults.

Guess who gets picked to drive every year for the hunting trip. 😂

And if I ever go back to a 3/4 ton it will be a diesel. The crewmax just fits the family needs fine now and with the extended warranty I have peace of mind too. My brother has a Tacoma. I'm not really a fan of trucks that small personally

CLdrinker

Reaction score
And if I ever go back to a 3/4 ton it will be a diesel. The crewmax just fits the family needs fine now and with the extended warranty I have peace of mind too. My brother has a Tacoma. I'm not really a fan of trucks that small personally
Don’t tell anyone this ( I might get banned ) I have a gas engine in my 3/4ton...

Your ad here

Reaction score
A Tacoma is a truck on the outside and a Camry on the inside. Works if everyone is shorter than 5'-6" and less than 120 lbs. They have tiny interiors.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Not to threadjack but it seems like a good place for the question . . .
I have a 1500 Mega cab. All the Megas come with 8 lug axles. Any Dodge geeks know if I can just add a leaf spring or two to be equivalent to a 2500 or were there other differences I dont know about? I dont want to buy a new truck, but I'm towing close to capacity I think with a 24 Carson toyhauler.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Not to threadjack but it seems like a good place for the question . . .
I have a 1500 Mega cab. All the Megas come with 8 lug axles. Any Dodge geeks know if I can just add a leaf spring or two to be equivalent to a 2500 or were there other differences I dont know about? I dont want to buy a new truck, but I'm towing close to capacity I think with a 24 Carson toyhauler.
The 1500 megas were a 2500 gasser. Any of the add a leaf stuff should work on your truck. Just make sure ur using 2500 parts.